Week 4 - Roleplay

Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Week 4 - Roleplay

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Please note: This thread has been posted a few hours early and will only be unlocked around midnight HOL-time.

Officer Jamie Reagan steps onto the podium and says, "Thank you for your cooperation with our investigation. With the information you all provided along with help of Melinda May, Elizabeth McCord and some other individuals and their teams we were able to narrow down the list of suspects. You've all been cleared of any suspicion."

No sooner does he move away than another individual takes his place. He's wearing a leather jacket and a fedora. "Alright, everyone. Time to shake things up a bit. I'm Indiana Jones, although you can call me Indy. I'm going to take you through a series of training sessions to help you with your pursuits once you leave this place. These exercises will help you hone all manner of skills, not necessarily physical ones. You'll be engaging in some friendly competition."

In this RP task, we're hoping to see how you react to the possibility of being pitted against each other: what's your strategy? do you take it seriously and try to suss out other people's weaknesses or are you content just to speculate about what the exercises might be. As with last time, to earn 10 house points and a boost of 100 to your character score, you need to post 3 times with your posts being 30 words or more. The deadline is 11.59 PM HOL-time on 28 October.

Guidelines: 
  • Do not post one after the other: wait for at least one other person to post before posting again
  • Try to interact with other characters, though observing and mulling over what is going on is also acceptable
  • Start each post with your character’s name.
  • When starting a conversation with someone or referring to someone, please use their character name to avoid confusion (you can put it in brackets if your character doesn’t know it yet)
  • Do not control what someone else’s character does or says in any way (IE. godmodding): you must wait for the other person to provide their reactions. You cannot control the time or the overall events, neither can your character leave the room.
  • If you'd like to bow out after posting 3 times, then just make people aware not to interact with you by putting an 'Out of Character Note' to that effect in brackets after your final post.
  • Be polite and considerate: try to acknowledge and include everyone. Even if your characters are disagreeing, be very careful not to upset the HOLer you’re interacting with.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Re: Week 4 - Roleplay

Post by Gail Allen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 am

Robin Hood

That was an unexpected turn of events: Usually people were only too happy to accuse him of just about any crime that had been committed anywhere in the vicinity whether he had in fact done it or not. To be cleared quite that easily was very unexpected.
The next idea was far less disconcerting too and Robin immediately looked around for a bow - and found it along with several other things, some that were familiar to him and some that weren't, but all looked like they might be meant for practicing certain things.

He went towards the bow and the target placed down one of the rows of books. With very little effort he picked it up and caressed the wood, testing the flexibility, before stringing it and then shooting an arrow into the center of the target. With a smile he reverently set down the bow again; it wasn't as good as his own bow, but it was a good one nonetheless.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 am

Leslie Knope was surprised by the quick wrap-up. Did the guy from Kaboom have anything to do with this? Government stuff rarely wrapped up so quickly! But it got her thinking... what if it HAD been someone in this room? Or someone similar? It was best to be prepared. But first.....

"Everyone! I'm glad to hear we have all been cleared! To celebrate, I made everyone a friendship keychain that has a little checkmark charm on it to show we all are ok! There's one for everyone. In honor of my best friend Ann who loves Harry Potter (she saw all 8 movies) I made them in your house colors!" She put the box of keychains on the nearest table and then reached for her duffle bag.

Leslie took three binders out of her duffel bag- one was a binder from the group she shared with everyone earlier; the second was a binder with empty pages, ready for new knowledge, that she had brought just in case. The last was actually a scrapbook. First, she would document and categorize all the people who were here in the empty binder. She'd need to find out their best qualities, their ability to be on a team, and the flaws she would need to plan around to use them at their best. Then she would start scrapbooking her time here!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 am

Inigo had just finished a second mug of this lovely drink. He'd found out that the name of it is 'hot chocolate'. Replete, and still sleepy from all the hard labour, he sat back into his niche.

Apparently a new scenario was evolving up on the podium. First off, everyone there was cleared of suspicion of having taken the ring. He shook his head a bit. He'd seen and heard nothing of interest about this ring anyway. It was almost like the situation between Florin and Guilder; where allegations of terrible things were all made up and false. He wondered how much truth was in all this thing about the ring.

Then another man showed up on the podium. This person looked a bit more interesting and said something about training sessions, to help with the pursuits of everyone there. Inigo perked up a bit at that, and sat up a bit straighter. He was always interested in learning new sword techniques. Even the best swordsman in the world could learn more about swordplay.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am

Raymond let out a small breath of relief when all of the people inside the hall were cleared of all charges. Not that he thought the result would be anything else, but there was always that small seed of doubt inside him that sprouted from time to time in regard to these things.

The officer was soon relieved by someone Raymond knew well, if only through Peralta’s incessant blabbering about movies. At least he had some information on what they would do next. Training. Raymond saw little point in it, especially at an even such as this, especially considering he had a lot of it behind him. He went through all the police training and often engaged in mental exercises and debates as well.

Deciding to go first with what he knew, Raymond went to the shooting range (gun, not archery) and started practicing. He hoped some of the obvious officers in the room would join him as he rather liked competing. Even more winning.
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Hmmm, this all seemed a bit suspicious to Hiccup. They wouldn’t even tell them who it was if it wasn’t one of them. Hiccup didn’t have long to wonder about this though. He would have to start training. First, with a bow and arrow. He knew he wasn’t that good at that sort of thing, so best to improve. Hiccup stepped over to where Robin Hood was and pulled another bow out.
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Post by Sirius Fudge » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Will let out a sigh of relief after hearing Officer Reagan clearing their names from suspicion of theft. But he thought the day is still not over, confirmed by the announcement of Mr. Jones. 'What training sessions? Friendly competitions...' Several ideas ran in Will's mind. He thought he was done with these kinds of situations. 'Not another Jack-like competition.' He sighed.

He then saw several of his companions in the room going to training areas. They all did well in their training sessions. He thought he would choose an area where he could improve his skill set. He chose the bow and arrow. The said weapon is rarely used in pirate battles, as the winds in the sea tend to be strong. It is not the most efficient in comparison with the sword and the gun. But he thought he could use it for later. He shot one arrow, hitting an average spot in the target. 'Not bad', he thought.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Han Solo took the odd, green and silver trinket from Leslie Knope. He wasn't sure what it was, but muttered, "Thanks, Blondie," and stowed it away in his pocket. He turned to watch Robin Hood, Hiccup, and Will Turner practicing with a kind of weapon you would find on one of the more primitive planets in the Outer Rim. Much like the drink he had shared with Inigo, he decided it wasn't quite his cup of tea, and joined [Raymond] at the shooting range.

He examined the weapon [Raymond] was using. It was slightly different to the blasters Han was used to handling, but he didn't feel like he would have much trouble adjusting to it. Aim, pull the trigger, he thought to himself. How hard could it be?

"I don't suppose they have something with a little more oomph," Han remarked as he picked up a gun, casually aimed it at the target, and proceeded to miss every shot.
Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Polaris Black » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Kate Beckett wasn’t the least bit surprised when Officer Reagan informed them that they all had been cleared of suspicion. But she couldn’t have been more curious to know who was on that narrowed down list of suspects. She tried to catch up to him before he left but he disappeared before she could get to him.

“Too bad,” she thought to herself, a little annoyed that she could no longer work the case. So instead, she headed over to Leslie Knope to pick up her souvenir.

“Thanks for making these great key chains,” she said to Leslie, mulling over the box of souvenirs. “I’ve never been sorted but people think I’m a Ravenclaw, or possibly a Gryffindor. I guess I’ll go with the blue and bronze,” she said, picking one up.

“By the way, how did you ever find the time to put these together?”
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 pm

As Leslie took notes on those who were doing weapons training, she turned to the female officer [Beckett.] "Oh, you know. I just knew we'd figure it out eventually, and I always have spare kechain parts with me. There's a section here for metalworking so after the initial investigation started I showed my colleague Ron Swanson what i wanted and he spent about 30minutes making the charms and then i put everything together while we were being questioned. You can do anything you set your mind to!"

Leslie watched those at the weapons training again. She had her hunting license, but intellectual combat was much more her speed. Well, that and gift-giving competitions (is it really a competition if everyone else is so bad at it though?) Leslie then noticed on the opposite side of the room was a Trivial Pursuit box on a table labelled "Known Universes Edition." That would be perfect for testing and increasing her knowledge! She turned back to Beckett. "Pardon me, that trivia is calling my name! Join me if you want!" She grabbed her notes, left the keychain box on the table, and then headed over for some trivia.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Raymond stopped in his practice when he saw, rather than heard, someone joined him [Han]. It was a man from the discussion earlier, though they did not really interact. Raymond carefully observed the man’s hold on the gun, knowing already that it would miss before he even fired a shot. Although, Raymond had to give him that, it did not look that the man was completely unfamiliar with weapons. It was like giving a pistol user a sniper rifle.

“I doubt that they would give us heavier ordinance to use,” Raymond said as he carefully put the safety on and put the gun on the little shelf before him. He was self-aware enough that he felt a small pang of disappointment at that.

“You are gripping the gun all wrong,” Raymond remarked, thinking to himself it had to be because of the difference in types of guns the men were used to. “If you are not used to this type of gun, grab it with both hands, your dominant high on the back strap,” he pointed at the relevant part. “It will help you with recoil and not make your shots flail around so much. Then, place your non-dominant hand so that it is pressed firmly against the exposed portion of the grip not covered by the dominant hand,” Raymond continued and showed the man the correct grip.

“Also, your stance. You will get greater mobility and stability by standing with your feet and hips shoulder width apart,” he demonstrated and aimed the gun towards the target. “Keep the target in line with the sights, so it blurs and keep pressing on the trigger until you surprise yourself by firing it,” Raymond talked and shot the weapon, the bullet making its mark an inch or two above the dead center of the target.

Raymond nodded towards the target. “You should try it again. It looks as if you know what you are doing, though not precisely comfortable with the weapons provided. Better than three quarters of the incompetent buffoons that I deal with on a daily basis.”
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Han Solo listened to Raymond's advice skeptically, but took note of the way Raymond gripped the weapon. These odd blasters did have a lot more kickback than the ones he was accustomed to. He adjusted his stance, kept the target in line with the sights, and, with both hands supporting the blaster, squeezed the trigger. This time, he missed the center of the target by a few inches.

"Alright, I tried it your way. But when it really counts..." Han reverted to his usual stance, letting his arm hang at his side with his elbow bent towards the target. He fired again, hitting the bull's eye. "...I'll hit it every time."

Han gave Raymond a wink and set the weapon aside, then turned to see if anything interesting was happening elsewhere.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:41 pm

As if by magic, there appeared a table which had swords on it. All kinds of swords and even some knives. Great sword, hand-and-a-half sword, long sword, rapier, scimitar, sabre, fanchion, katana, back sword, dirk. Single edged and double edged swords and knives. Inigo's eyes lit up and he stood, walking to the table as if irresistibly drawn.

Reaching the table, he patted the handle of his own sword which was hanging at his side, and then (making sure he was in a clear area) picked up one from the table, hefting it, twisting it, finding out about its balance points, strengths and weaknesses. What a lovely sword! He smiled with delight.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Post by Will Lestrange » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 am

Aladdin was surprised by the quick turn of events. While it was a relief to know he wouldn't be punished for a crime he didn't commit (or for the food he did steal back when he was a street urchin), he knew that combat was not his strength at all. But he knew that he could hide as well as anyone, so he scoped out a safe place to hide and watch the others train.
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Hiccup grabbed the bow and began to practice alongside Robin Hood. “I am not very good with a bow. How about you?” Hiccup tried to strike up a conversation with Robin.
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Polaris Black » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Kate Beckett had been planning to join fellow police officer Raymond Holt at the pistol shooting range but it was getting crowded over there so she opted to follow Leslie Knope instead. "I'm with you," she said to Leslie, wondering where they were going. When she noticed they were heading toward a ‘Known Universes Edition’ of Trivial Pursuit, she couldn’t help but smile. Her love of comic books hardly made her an alternate universe authority, but it couldn’t hurt!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Post by Gail Allen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Robin Hood

Robin hadn't spoken with this curious fellow [Hiccup] before, but he seemed interested to learn and he'd not be one to deny anyone that chance - certainly not someone who didn't look like they were one of the sheriff's men.
"I am quite good" he said, underplaying it severely, but not wanting to brag.

"I could show you a thing or two if you're interested" he offered, and raising his voice slightly.
"That goes for anyone else too who might be interested in learning how to handle a bow."
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 am

Inigo put down that sword and picked up another. It was always a pleasure to encounter new and different kinds of swords and knives. He picked up a falcata, an old sword of ancient Greece, and hefted it. Crafted with partial protection for the hand and an inward curving blade, the hilt had the head of a horse as part of its design.

He looked around to see if there was anyone else who was interested in swords and knives. He saw Han and some other person [Raymond] discussing weapons (and saw Han fire the weapon hitting the bulls eye), a couple others [Hiccup and Robin Hood] with bow-and-arrow weapons and still others who appeared to be discussing something with great intent.
Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Post by Sirius Fudge » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 am

Will then proceeded to observing his companions in the room. Thoughts repeated in his mind. 'A friendly competition?' He decided to keep an eye on the other participants, hoping he get to know them more, where are they good at, and more importantly, on their weaknesses. Their characteristics should also be noted, given the past activities and interactions hours earlier. He thought that he would get to go home at soonest possible time. If winning is needed to get more hours ealier to go home, then he should win.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Amaryllis Storm
No broom

Post by Amaryllis Storm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 am

Roran was not sure what training they wanted to offer, but he knew sparring was out of the question, he did not trust anyone here really and one did not give away an advantage foolishly. He did smile to himself as a thought crossed his mind." learning magic would be a type of training." He never did get the hang of it during the war, too many distractions for him to truly focus, but here he could quietly meditate without being constantly on alert for the next battle.

Roran found a dark quiet nook, the one he originally tried to catch up on sleep in. Sitting in a relax comfortable state, he closed his eyes and began to focus.
Bane of the Ra'zac

Return to “Character Clash”