Week Four – Micronesia

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Week Four – Micronesia

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:00 am

With the full name of Federated States of Micronesia, this Pacific Ocean country consists of around 600 smaller islands and four larger ones, and is famous for sunken wrecks, temples and burial vaults.

We will have fun exploring ancient ruins of Nan Mandol in Pohnpei, Stone Money in Yap and Lelu Island in Kosrae. Then we will visit historic sites such as Japanese Zeroes and Pohnpaid Pteroglyphs. Lastly, we shall enjoy the nature in Truk Lagoon, at Kepirohi Waterfall, at Sokehs Rock and along the Tamilyog Trail.

As mentioned, Micronesia is famous for sunken architecture and treasures. Make up a story of one of your diving expeditions to a sunken temple and what happened during it. The story must be minimum of 150 words long, of your own creation and abide by all HOL rules.

Post your story as a reply to this thread by September 2nd 11:59 pm HOL time for 25 Hoots and 10 beans. Alternatively, if you do not wish for your submission to be posted for everyone to see, send it to me via HOL Forum message (Subject: BrtW – Micronesia) by the same due date.
Thank you Dario!
Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: Week Four – Micronesia

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:24 am

I've always wanted to scuba dive and explore the reefs, but I've never had the chance before now. Can you believe it, my first time diving, and of course I get lost! It started out so well; the suit went on easy, I had no problem flipping over the edge of the boat. The water was so clear, it was easy to see my friends and the instructor. We headed over to some coral where some very colorful fish were swimming through. This must be a common dive spot because they paid no attention to us and went about their day. The instructor was pointing at something and I was about to look but then the most beautiful fish swam by! It was the brightest orange and yellow fish I had ever seen, so of course I had to follow it! It was a fast little guy, and it was a bit of a struggle for me to keep up!

Finally it swam under this large rock formation and I lost it. As I looked around, I realized I had lost myself too! I decided the best thing to do would be swim up to the surface, see where the boat is, and swim back to it. Just as I was about to swim up, a shining glint below caught my eye. I wonder what it belonged to? I looked over the rock formation and realized it wasn't a natural rock; but rather some kind of underwater pyramid! I swam closer to where I saw the shiny light come from and realized it was some sort of little gem set in an archway. As I peered into the doorway, I saw my little fish. There were many more just like it! I turned on my headlamp and saw that behind the fish was caved in. How unfortunate! Perhaps the instructor could tell me more about this sunken pyramid. Maybe they've never heard of it and I've discovered some long-last civilization, maybe even Atlantis!!! I found a small formation and tied my rope around it so i could find my way back and headed up to the surface.

It turns out I was pretty far from the boat, but they had started to look for me not long after I left. I excitedly told the instructor about my find, and to my delight he had no idea what I was talking about! I grabbed my rope to follow it back, but was immediately disheartened when it wasn't taut! I pulled and pulled until the end of my rope came to me...something had cut it! We search for about 3 hours but I never found it again....
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 am

I was in the water for some minutes now and I was already feeling some strange unconfidence about my expedition. Diving one month every day and at least four hours per day was not very easy and I was getting extremely tired day after day. But the promise of sunken treasures was really big and I wanted to look at it as the first person. At least this could be the award for my hard work; years of preparation currently did get only a few gold coins from the sea ground. But sadly these coins were already found in some other parts and were not worth much. Just as souvenir.
This time I was diving into the cave that I have seen last week and was my last option to go into. Sea caves are known to be dangerous and I was happy that there were no big creatures near me. Finally I came closer and stopped for some moments. It was surely very dark there and I turned on sea lamp. After this I managed to enter and look around; it was extremely big cave; more like some kind of hall. But there was something else; it was something like treasure chest! I was shocked. Have I just found a treasure? Shaking I came closer and touched it; it looked quite modern, not something from many years ago. And finally I opened it; there was a paper in plastic bag to keep it dry. It was written: "Real treasure was already found. D.H." I was without words.
Ivorie Windton
No broom

Post by Ivorie Windton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 am

The silver and goldfish glinted around my head as I took a deep breath and dunked down deep into the turquoise blue water. The bubble-nose-charm I had performed allowed me to breathe under the clear water.

Years ago, in this very location of an ocean, a Muggle deep sea diver found a very interesting coin. For a while the Muggles went crazy at this site, looking for some underwater palace, but they were never able to find it. Of course, the wizarding community knew why they were never able to locate the city, it was hidden by magic.

I dove deeper into the water, allowing my eyesight to adjust to the murky depths. Below me, I could make out the outline of a triangular stone object. I dipped lower and brushed my hand upon it. It wouldn’t budge from the ground, with further investigation it was evident that the triangular object was just too tip-top of a much larger pyramid, one made of complete gold.

I spoke a few well-chosen spells and the mud fell away from the gold temple below. A truly spectacular site was to behold below me. It was a lost city beneath the sea.
|8" Vine and Dragon Heartstring|iv810|

Return to “Backpacking 'round the World”