Week One – San Marino

Moderator: Hollers Assistant

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Week One – San Marino

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 am

Welcome to San Marino, a microstate situated inside Italy!

This little country offers just a perfect place to relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings. Its unspoiled land and rolling green hills makes for a great trip to the countryside, where you can indulge in simple, yet delicious cuisine. San Marino is also very famous for its museums, such as Museum of Curiosities, which has a collection of strange objects, inventions and their stories.

A really unfortunate thing happened while we were visiting the Museum of Curiosities. An unidentified magical creature was set loose in the building and destroyed quite a few exhibits. You were tasked to make up a new strange object to be placed in the museum until everything can be fixed.

This object can be anything tangible! Magical or not, humorous or serious, your imagination is the limit. In 100 words or more describe your strange or peculiar object. Tell us its name, the description, what does it do or what is it for and anything else you can think of. Please, do keep everything HOL appropriate.

Post your object as a reply to this thread by September 2nd, 11:59 pm HOL time and earn 25 Hoots and 10 beans! Alternatively, if you do not wish for your submission to be posted for everyone to see, send it to me via HOL Forum message (Subject: BrtW – San Marino) by the same due date.
Thank you Dario!

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: Week One – San Marino

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 pm

My contribution to the Museum of Curiosities is this large sphere! I found it about fourteen years ago while on a train from New Jersey, headed to New York. While at a stop I noticed a small box under the seat across from me. As no one was around i picked it up to see what it might be. Imagine my surprise to find an attached note was addressed to me! It said "may this quell the storm when you're on the rocks." Upon opening the box I found this blue-ish orb nestled in a cloth of green satin. With no other notes or instructions, I was not sure exactly what I was looking at. But I've since discovered that when it is raining, if I touch this sphere the inside turns dark and cloudy while around me the skies clear. It's as if this ball sucks the storm inside! After some time the sphere returns to its normal blue-ish hue, ready to suck up another storm!

Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 am

My strange thing is a rock with mermaid language on one side and troll language on the other. No one has yet been able to crack the merish language code, which is the reason that wizards think that mermaids speak in a hard language. However, the troll language code was easy to crack (due to it only having a few letters), which is why wizards think that trolls are not so smart. Although this myth might not even be true. How do we know those couple of letters don't mean a lot more in troll then they do in English?

Janie Peterson
No broom

Postby Janie Peterson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:43 am

The strange object that I am deciding to put on display is a bowl of hand-crafted hand soaps. Each of the hand soaps in this bowl were made specially by Evianna Kennavitch, a Russian soap maker currently living in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. Kennavitch began making soaps after traveling the world. In each of her soaps, Kennavitch uses spices and herbs in order to create aromas from around the world. For example, she has created coconut scented soap inspired by Trinidad which is located off the coast of Venezuela as well as a sakura soap inspired by the cherry blossom season in Japan. The fragrances often remind patrons of their travels and journeys around the globe. Kennavitch makes a decent price off of creating travel nostalgia - each of her soaps sells for about $26 a bar. This particular collection on display at the museum faultlessly portrays the scents and delights of India. Next to the pedestal which contains the bowl of soap, there are business cards to encourage those interested in giving Kennavitch a go at re-creating their favorite around-the-world scent for a generous price of 10% off. Kennavitch's India-inspired soaps smell much like Sandalwood, Cumin, Cinnamon, and Bay leaves and can be smelled throughout the entire section of the museum in which it occupies. The faintest scent is that of mustard seed, which only those with exceptionally functioning snouts would be able to pick up on. Next to the bowl is a small description plate that describes the bowl in which the soaps are arranged. Evianna Kennavitch purchased this bowl for nearly 1700 rupees from a small street vendor on her way through Mumbai, India. Kennavitch's soaps are expected to attract a lot of attention at the museum despite the fact that soap bars are often seen as plain objects.

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Although I hate to part with it even for a moment, I will lend the Curiosity Museum my treasured Blackbulb. I found the Blackbulb in a pawn shop in South Dakota. The owner of the pawn shop told me it was rumored to have been owned by Jerry Garcia, the mellow guitarist of the “Grateful Dead” band but he had no idea what the black bulb was used for. Turns out, Garcia had been bedridden as a child and became an accomplished artist as well as a musician. He used the plain black bulb to illuminate posters or works of art. However, this is no ordinary illumination; the light from the bulb creates neon colors and makes the visuals seem to pop out of the canvas!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Postby Silas Hipolito Crist » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:31 pm

My strange object is yellow crystal ball that looks like something used for divination. But it is far from this. Yellow crystal ball is called Protector and is used to defend wizards from fall damage. Whenever wizard or witch has the ball with them (ib the hand or in the bag), he or she does not take any fall damage and just land softly on any floor or even in the water.
Protector is something that needs to be with person who has acess to magic powers, because it does not work properly with squibs and muggles.
It gives bright sparkles when it is touched by sunshine.

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 am

My strange object is journal which, at first glance, looks strangely ordinary and blank. It’s not until you figure out how to use it that you realize how strange it is. You see, this is an enchanted journal that you can speak to. Instead of writing all of your thoughts down so that anyone could happen upon them, you can rant to this journal and it will document everything for you without showing any writing. If you’d like the script to show up on that particular page so that you can reflect on it that way, you can ask that of the journal and the writing will disappear again when you are done using it. You can also ask it to read the entry back to you. To anyone else, the page looks like a blank page and they have no access to your secrets. All you can see on the pages are dates, so that whoever is looking to add something new knows that a particular page is taken. Many different people have left entries in this journal, and many come back to reflect on what they had described in the past.

Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Postby Pezzie Wolfe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm

The item I am submitting for the museum was one that was discovered years ago. It is quite a rare thing to find, as not many explore the forests where these tiny creatures live. See, unless you have a trained eye, you'll never see them. The item is a model, but it is what's on top of the model's head that is real. Troll hair. Not just the big mountain trolls, these are the the small, fairy sized trolls. They are more colorful and magical than the the big, aloof mountain trolls. The model I have is in a rainbow of colors and seems to glisten when light hits it just right. It is in a display case that when someone looks at it, it will magnify so one can view it at normal size to a muggle.
Sig Tag by Pezzie.
HOL Member since August 2003

Ivy Rousseau
No broom

Postby Ivy Rousseau » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:25 am

"Moroccan Unicorn Feather." Reads the sign. Underneath the title, in a smaller lettering, the museum's newest peculiar exhibit is described. Nobody bothers to read it though; they are entranced by the feather itself. It's small, about the size of a standard bookmark, and thin. Every few minutes, a thread of keratin will melt away, leaving the feather more and more bare. At this rate, it will not even last until the end of the day, but many spectators do not notice. Intrigued, their eyes are fixed on the stem, or backbone, of the feather, which is much thicker than your everyday bird feather. About the width of your thumb, with short hairs sprouting from it, looking more like a protective barrier of hair than actual featherings. The stem is glowing a brilliant gold, brighter than a supernova, and it is only the pitch black barrier encasing the artifact that protects the eyes of the viewers. It is still bright enough that a few have made the decision to don their sunglasses. They look absolutely ridiculous. That is, of course, why the object was submitted. You, sir, yes, you, looking at the feather, are an absolute idiot.

Return to “Backpacking 'round the World”