Backpacking 'round the World

Moderator: Hollers Assistant

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Backpacking 'round the World

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:16 pm

Welcome to Summer HOLLERdayS!

With the end of the school year and coming of summer, HOLLERS will temporarily suspend all challenges and Creative Outlet tasks, so the staff can go on vacation! However, all HOL is welcome to join us as we travel around the world with nothing but what we can stuff in a backpack (which can be a lot thanks to Undetectable Extension Charms!).

Each summer Monday, starting on July 2nd, three tasks will be posted, each pertaining to a country we will visit. You will have to solve a puzzle or complete a creative task. All tasks are due on September 2nd, so you can do them at your own pace.

You will get 25 Hoots and 10 beans for each completed task and if you complete them all, you will receive a bonus of 100 beans! All Hoots will count towards Fall Term count. If you happen to get stuck at any of the puzzles, send me (Maxim Trevelyan) a private message here on the forum and I will help you get unstuck.

Wait, so there really are not any due dates?
Well, there is a due date, September 2nd, but otherwise, there are no weekly due dates. If you happen to go on a RL vacation, you are welcome to pause and restart the tasks anytime you want.

Okay, but what if a task is too hard and I really, really want those extra beans?
As I said, you are welcome to send me a private message with your troubles and I am sure we will be able to solve them. I really want you to get those Hoots and beans!

I have difficulty with image-based tasks, what should I do?
If your browser or accessibility software (screen reader, magnifier, or other) makes it difficult for you to solve certain tasks, like puzzles, send me a message and I will happily look at alternative options suited to individuals. Please, keep in mind that this is not an opt out for anyone who finds the puzzles tricky or does not like working with graphics but can otherwise complete the tasks unaided.

You said there are going to be creative tasks. Are stick figures okay?
Certainly!

What if I do not want to post my creative submission, can I still get credit?
We respect your privacy so you always have the option to send it to me through HOL forum message. More details will be posted in each individual thread.

Do I have to complete tasks in order they are posted?
Nope! You can send the tasks in in any order you want, just make sure you keep track, so you will not miss out on any.

For any other general questions not touched upon in this topic, please post below, for a specific task, post in the appropriate thread.

Happy Summer HOLLERdayS!
Thank you Dario!

Janie Peterson
No broom

Re: Backpacking 'round the World

Postby Janie Peterson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm

May I ask what hoots are?

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Re: Backpacking 'round the World

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:41 pm

HOLLERS members earn Hoots for participating in club activities. For each activity, challenge, or something of the kind, Hoots are offered. We keep track of Hoots in a spreadsheet and at the end of each term, the top three earners win the Hoot Award.

Think of it as an internal, HOLLERS-only points system. Top three people by Hoot count at the end of each term get an award.

Hope that answered your question! :)
Thank you Dario!

Return to “Backpacking 'round the World”