Week 2 - Phaistos Disc

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Week 2 - Phaistos Disc

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Posting this a few hours early

The Phaistos Disc was discovered in 1908 by Luigi Pernier, an Italian archaeologist. The disc is believed to date back to the middle or late Minoan Bronze Age. It depicts 45 distinct symbols on both sides and has been a source of much interest for archaeologists and linguists alike.

There are many differing views on the type of script used — some believe it to be syllabic writing, others alphabetic, whereas still others logographic or pictographic.

For 10 points, solve the visual sudoku below, which incorporates some of these symbols:

Upload the solution to an image-hosting site and send the link to hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces) with the subject line 'Week 2 - Phaistos Disc - HOL ID' by 15 July. Remember to include your HOL Name, ID and House in the body of the email.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Re: Week 2 - Phaistos Disc

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Submissions have been received from:

Arianna Stonewater
Gail Allen
Ivorie Windton
Kendra Givens
Maxim Trevelyan
Polaris Black
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Shiloh Adlar
Silas Hipolito Crist
Vanessa Tilley
Will Lestrange
Zach Jameson
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Re: Week 2 - Phaistos Disc

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am

Solution is as follows:

- Edward Everett Hale

Return to “History of the Word”