Week 3 - Invent a Game

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Week 3 - Invent a Game

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 am

One way to encourage people to engage with books is have them participate in games relating to them. These can range in complexity and depth. There’s a variety of boardgames, card games and even video games out there that were based on individual works, from Sherlock Holmes, to Shakespeare, Harry Potter and even Pride and Prejudice. There are also more general games such as Trivial Pursuit Book Lover's Edition. Here, at the Book Club, we’ve used Quick Quotes (based on Bring Your Own Book) as way to appreciate a wide range of books and quotes from them.

We would like you to create a simple game to encourage people to engage with a particular book (or books in general) and share it with us. It can be something that could work as a forum game, or something a bit more complex that requires a board to play it. We do ask though that you stray away from trivia games. Describe your game in no fewer than 100 words. Feel free to include images as well.

To earn 10 points, please send your submission to hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (with the spaces removed) with the subject "Week 3 - Game - HOL ID" by 18 February, 11:59 pm HOL time. Remember to include your HOL Name, ID and house in the body of the email. We will be sharing your submissions after the deadline has passed — please let us know if you do not wish us to do so.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Week 3 - Invent a Game

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Submissions have been received from:

Arianna Stonewater
Aurelia West
Gail Allen
Maxim Trevelyan
Pezzie Wolfe
Polaris Black
Shiloh Adlar
Will Lestrange
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Arianna Stonewater submitted:

Every year I go to a Harry Potter themed NYE party and I usually make a game for it. This year I made a game based off the Sleeping Beauty Pretty Pretty Princess board game.The object of the game is to go around the board and collect all of the pieces. You collect a piece by rolling the dice and landing on that piece's square. You need to collect your Hogwarts Letter (delivered by a brown or grey owl), a wand, a pet, a flying key, and a golden snitch. Everyone has their own one of these items to collect. You must also collect a TIME TURNER! There is only one of these. If you have the Time Turner and someone else lands on that space, you must give them the Time Turner. There are several other key things to learn. If you land on a space of an item you already have, your turn is over. If you land on a "Filch" space, he takes an item from you! There is a "lose a turn" space, and a "choose an item" space where you can pick any item (including the Time Turner) that you don't already have. Finally, there is a "Voldemort" space. If you land on this space, Voldemort travels with you until someone else lands on this space and takes him from you. Even if you have collect all of the items, you cannot win while you have Voldemort! The first person to collect everything and not have Voldemort is the winner!

The game board:

The Players and Lord Voldemort: click

The items to collect: click
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Aurelia West submitted:

Each player would choose a book and start at a designated spot on the board (think of a clue board where the spaces players start at are scattered rather than next to each other). Each turn a player would roll a die, move the designated amount of spaces and draw a card of the color of the square they land on. These cards will say things that range from 'if your book's title starts with the letter B (omitting a, an, or the so that a book such as "The Book Thief" would fall under this category) you skip a turn' to 'act out your favorite scene from your book using a prop of your choosing.' All of the ones that require actions would not necessarily be of the same color cards, nor the ones that have to do with which book was brought, so there's a lot up to chance. The goal of all of this moving would be to arrive at the center of the board before the rest of the other players, so there would be a lot of trying to make others lose turns, meaning that those cards would be the majority. Choose your books wisely, players!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Gail Allen submitted:

My game is about quotes from books.

How it works is that everyone will pick a number of quotes from different books (the amount depends on how long you want the game to last). The first player will give their quote and then it's the job of everyone participating to make a scene or story where that quote would fit. It is not allowed to use the premise of the original story if you know it. It's about being creative and putting things together in interesting new ways.

Then the person who picked the quote will pick the winner and then that person will give a quote.

The stories made for that quote can build on the previous one or be standalones, depending on the level of difficulty you want to have in the game.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Pezzie Wolfe submitted:

Books For Humanity!

So, come up with card ideas that are similar to the black one the one 'JUDGING' is going to read a loud. There should be a way for someone to pass on the "card" so as the players do not see it. Then players need to come up with family friendly ideas that would fit that card being judged and the one judging has like a week to pick a winner and then the next person is picked to judge and game goes on till a certain number of points are won. First, second, third. Participation points, etc. Or Beans.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Polaris Black submitted:

Five of Anything is a just-for-fun icebreaker that can be adapted to get to know your book club participants via forum. The topic can be five of anything - most liked or disliked. The concept can be extended to apply only to books. No one is asked to leave their comfort zone and participants are willing to share the answers to this type of question.

* The first person to post tells us five of anything book-wise.
* The next person to post can choose the same topic or change it.
* If you need suggestions, here are some topics you can choose from:

- 5 favorite novels
- 5 scariest stories
- 5 favorite short stories with twist endings
- 5 most disliked characters
- 5 favorite book series
- 5 books you never finished
- 5 fictional places you'd most like to visit
- 5 favorite books about animals
- 5 books you'd never read again
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Shiloh Adlar submitted:

I actually participated in a game a while back that I really wish had more detail added into it. Basically, there was a game board and there were quests that you chose to complete. There were four main quests which were the border squares (think of a Bingo board) then the center squares which were side quests.

While this was a lot of fun because health and hit points were involved, I think I would change it a little to where it was really like your character was leveling up more, or there would be more options for advancement. I think it would be cool if after every book you read, not only would participants receive hit points for the number of pages the book had and experience points for completing it, but they may also have to "battle" after each main quest was complete to earn even more experience points to level their character up. This could be by doing some kind of art work to go along with the books they read or maybe a video about the book (either story form or narration as a review). I also think side quests should have more importance. Maybe to go on another main quest, one would have to complete a side quest or two. Main quests offer a lot of experience points once the row/column is completed.

Maybe characters can even battle each other at some point, so there's incentive to read more to get your experience and hit points up.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Will Lestrange submitted:

My idea for a game is inspired by a series of books that I remember reading as a kid: the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. Each of those books had a specific theme, but you got to be the protagonist of your own story - and every so often the book asked you to make a choice. You'd see a prompt such as "If you choose to go to the castle, turn to page 35; if you choose to stay in the forest, go to page 53." Making your choice, you would turn to the appropriate page and continue on the adventure... leading to one of a number of endings (some happy, some sad, some bittersweet, and some more complex) depending on your choices!

However, one could easily make a Choose Your Own Adventure out of other books with captivating universes (such as the Harry Potter universe, the Narnia universe, or even a dystopia like the Hunger Games universe). My idea would be that one would place storylines on a game board; you would start at a designated space at the start of the board and then move to different spaces on the board depending on your choices. I've actually done this once as a book report in elementary school: as a book report project on a Choose Your Own Adventure book, I made a simplified version of the book into a board game... and it was amazing!

Return to “Harry Potter Book Festival 2018”