Week 3 - Discussion: Abridged Books

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 3 - Discussion: Abridged Books

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah true it does depend on what the subject matter for that class is. However, sometimes in book reviews teachers want you to add details that you can't find in abridged tales.y on that this week.

Anyway a little off topic but does anyone have an idea were I can read more on teen driving? I have to write a essay about that topic.

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Shiloh's post made me remember my own Foreign Literature/Language courses that I took. Reading a book in a foreign language seems daunting at first, especially if you are not all that familiar with it, so reading abridged books is a great idea. You still get the feel for the story and you can stop at any time to check some of the more difficult words. Reading them together in class was always a treat.

Bull, I do not think anyone here means reading an abridged book when you were instructed to read a full version. Rather, we support the idea of teachers using an abridged book in the younger grades to introduce the books that importantly shaped the country's contribution to literature.
Thank you Dario!

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Both Shiloh and Maxim did indeed remind me that in language courses abridges books are lifesavers. Imagine trying to read Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet in English if you have limited knowledge of the language. When you take another language your comprehension and speech, especially in the beginning, is not very good so reading something that is shortened and easier yet so that you can still understand it is amazing.

I also agree with many people above that abridged books should be easier to distinguish. I don’t remember ever realizing I was reading an abridged copy, until later or halfway through the book.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

When Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code first came out, I tried really hard to get my hands on an unabridged audio copy before a business trip but I was unsuccessful. Although it became a mission, I ultimately listened to the abridgment and I honestly can’t tell you if I missed anything. However, I do know that the printed version contains fantastic illustrations, which was not available in audio but that’s another story!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Return to “Harry Potter Book Festival 2018”