Week 2 - Discussion: Do Audio books recreate the Magic of Communal Storytelling?

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Re: Week 2 - Discussion: Do Audio books recreate the Magic of Communal Storytelling?

Postby Gail Allen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't think audiobooks are boring though.
I've actually listened to a LOT of audiobooks in my time and I still do. I just don't believe they recreate communal storytelling. But for me that doesn't mean they are without merit. Certainly not.
For instance when I'm driving, or when I'm knitting or doing graphics for HOL where all I need to do it do photo manipulation, I don't need the part of my brain that is used for listening to stories. I just need to execute movement and the thoughts related to that. I don't know if it's just me, but for me knowing how to manipulate and create graphics, does not run over the same brainpaths as taking in a story. So when I do those things, I love occupying the part of my brain that isn't being used otherwise. Because otherwise, like Shadow said hers do, my brain goes in 20 different directions and I can't keep my concentration nearly as well on the task I'm doing.
So it's lovely to hear an audiobook then. It makes me better able to concentrate and it allows me to hear a good book.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Re: Week 2 - Discussion: Do Audio books recreate the Magic of Communal Storytelling?

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm not really enjoy the audio book, but after see the discussion here, i start to considering the audio books as a new form of communal storytelling. I think, It's kind like the effect of technology growth, i mean, it like comparing fishing at the sea and playing fishing games on your phone, it get some similarity, you got the fun feeling but those are different fun, and each one have their own excitement and own fans mania, so in my opinion, instead of recreate the Magic of Communal Storytelling, audio book is just like the other form of it, which is happen because of the technology.

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:27 pm

I agree with Resyarinna. Audiobooks aren’t recreating the art of communal storytelling (in my book communal storytelling means someone reading a book or telling a story to another person or group of people), but audiobooks are another form of it. Indeed, the technology is both very good as we can read books while doing something else, yet the technology is also providing a barrier.

I would also like to bring up the point of people who find it hard to read physical books. In Week 1 thee was a task to write about difficulties while reading books, and audiobooks are a very good way for many people to enjoy books more. I feel like that’s an important part of audiobooks and that they come very close to recreating communal storytelling.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Harry Potter Book Festival 2018”