Week 1 - Discussion: How do you read?

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 1 - Discussion: How do you read?

Postby Will Lestrange » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am

And as for taking notes: about the only time I take notes in the book itself are on complicated textbooks that I own! Math textbooks in particular (at least at the graduate level) are notorious for assuming that their readers are supergeniuses and can do 10 step derivations in their heads as "exercises to the reader". If I need to write something down on a piece of paper (say, the intermediate derivation 5 steps in) to be able to follow that 10 step derivation in real time, that's when I'm going to write that intermediate result down as a thinking aid to future me the next time I read it!

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:27 pm

I actually have a little bit of a ritual when it comes to reading that I just developed about a month ago. The first ritual I have, I actually started when I was young, and that was to read the last chapter first before I read the book. I picked up the habit from my mother who would always read the ending first. If she didn't like how it ended, she said why bother reading the whole book.

The little ritual that I have started is that around 2 pm EST every day, I will go into my bedroom to read a book. I have a nice warm waterbed so it relaxes the muscles in my back as I read since sitting in the same position is not easy for me. I also have an incense burner right beside my bed so I light an incense that goes along with the mood of the book. Finally, I put on my Pandora station of relaxation instrumental chill music for the background because I can't read in complete silence.

I do prefer to read physical books. I LOVE the way they smell especially my older books that I inherited from my mother. It just feels like there is a history there. I will buy books that I REALLY want to read and know that I will treasure and read over and over. However, I do often tend to read from my Kindle because buying e-books is cheaper for me with most books. I also enjoy a Kindle because I can turn down the screen to dark since that is how I read best. I don't do well with lots of bright light. I also love the fact that with my Kindle I have thousands of books at my fingertips that I can pick from. With so many books, I don't tend to go back and re-read books very often unless I just get in the mood to do so.

I can never get myself to write in a book. It just seems so taboo for me and like I am destroying the work that went into creating the book. Knowing that I don't like to write in my books, I do have a writing journal and an art journal beside my bed. If I find something of note, I will write it down in my journal and if I really like a visual image that comes up, then I use my art journal to doodle or sketch something out.

Siobhan Sullivan
No broom

Postby Siobhan Sullivan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm quite an avid reader myself. Which is why I like this topic so much! I prefer reading physical books, but I also own a Kindle which is nice for traveling as I have a whole library at my fingertips. But my bookcase at home is practically bursting (though in an organized way). I don't really have any rituals like some other posters here, I usually just dive right in after purchasing, borrowing, etc the book. I do read synopses and maybe a review or two before reading, however. Is that considered a ritual? I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't write in my books at all but I can understand why it would be appealing for some to do so. To me, my books are sacred and I feel that if I mark them in some way, I've somehow defaced them and I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it. But as I said, it's perfectly understandable why others don't feel that way with their books.

I do sometimes take notes on what I'm reading (even if it's not a textbook) because some of my books are epic fantasies and almost require it of me. A few examples of books I've taken notes throughout are The Lord of the Rings, The Song of Fire and Ice series, The Silmarillion, and The Mists of Avalon. I did it because of the sheer amount of characters that are in the books and to keep them all straight in my head, I found that writing them down and referencing that while reading is helpful. There were just too many people who were related, not related, 3rd cousins twice removed (well maybe not that one, but you get my point) that I just couldn't remember all of them and I found myself going back in the book to refresh my memory.

I keep a handy list on Goodreads of the books I'd like to tackle. Currently, there are over 170 in my "to read" list. But I'm proud to say that there are over 400 "read" books in there as well!
To know you are ignorant is the beginning of wisdom.

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

I also use Goodreads, but mainly to keep track of what books I've read. I tend to go back to the same authors a lot because I like their writing styles and sometimes I don't remember which of their books I've already read. I love that Goodreads notifies me when an author I've read before has a new book out. In the beginning, I did try to add books to the "to read" list, but it got too overwhelming. I still try to have 5-10 books in there though for when I really struggle to find something new to read.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Do you like to take notes while reading a book? Maybe underlining interesting parts for you to remember?What about when it’s time to decide for a new book/story, how do you choose it?

I've been known to take notes while reading a book (not talking about study books for class but just reading books for pleasure sort of reading). Sometimes an author will say a 'thing' in such a way that it resonates so true in me that I want it in my collection of quotes. One that I have kept is:
" ... It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. ..."
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Another is:
"... And no practical definition of freedom would be completely without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based. ..." Lord Vetinari to Moist von Lipwig in Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

As for underlining in a book, or highlighting in it ... once upon a time I got Culpeper's Color Herbal and blithely went through it highlighting the plants that I wanted to have in my own garden. After a few highlights, I had a moment of WHAT AM I DOING and stopped. There is one book, however, which I have read and underlined many things in it and continue to do so. And that's okay.

Finding new books to read is sometimes a challenge. There are so many books written and recommended, how does one narrow the list? I've bumped into many books when joining the Book Club here at HOL. :D What I have done is read what other people write about books and then see if my library has them. Many of the books people in here recommend are available so YAY. Some of the books which people here like are not always suitable for Monthly Book Discussion reading because of subject material, or length, or a combination of factors which end up putting it on the 'do not use' list. One such book is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, which I liked so much that I ended up adding it to my own library.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 pm

Scarlet, yes. Goodreads is wonderful. I have been using it to keep track of the books I was reading for all the reading challenges I participated in over the summer. I have also found it helpful when people recommend books for me to read because I can put it on my to be read list for reference. I also appreciate the email notifications about books from authors I read a lot of as well as when a book on my list has a special giveaway. I really like entering those, though I have yet to win one yet.

I also really like the quotes that are on Goodreads. Like Tarma, I like to read what other people have to say about the books before I settle down to read one. One of the ways I can do this is not just by looking at the reviews that are posted, but I will look at the quotes and see if there are any that stand out. Sometimes it's a quote from a book that really captures my attention and then suddenly I want to read the whole thing to find out exactly what that quote was applying to.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 am

I also love using Goodreads to track my reading, but like Scarlet agree that having a large number of books on my to read shelf is overwhelming. I especially love that there are book giveaways there, and while I haven't won anything yet I'm determined to keep trying. A lot of users also make lists of books that are similar to one another which function similar to recommendation lists, so I enjoy perusing those when I have the time.

Honestly I mainly use Goodreads to follow up on what some of my favorite Booktubers are reading since they update a bit more than I do and I like hearing their thoughts, but I also love getting updates from authors too.

As for reading spots, I mainly read on my bed since it's difficult for me to stay in one position for very long, and sometimes I'll find myself lying on my back with my feet up in the air. Such a position wouldn't be nearly as comfortable anywhere else :P

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 am

I have just gotten back into using Goodreads this year. I have joined a couple of book reading challenges this year since I haven't been very good about reading lately. I have used Goodreads to have a list of books to read for the challenges so I can see my progress. It appears to be working so far since I have read 5 books this month alone which is a record for me.

I am thinking about starting my own Booktube and Bookgrammer account. I am trying to do as many things as possible to keep myself accountable this year. At the moment, I have even started a blog for just book reviewing. I was actually offered the chance to be an advanced reader for a book coming out soon and I will be reviewing the book on Amazon, Goodreads, and my blog next week. I'm a bit nervous but also excited.

Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 am

Personally, I don't like writing essays or anything else when I read a book. I also don't like being given a subject to find something to read, like with the book bingo. However, I do like having to read a type of book for instance read a magazine, or listen to a audio book.

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:33 am

I see that we started talking about Goodreads. So, I will also talk a bit about it. I personally love Goodreads and every week I go through and check if I have read anything and if I have new books for my wishlist, etc. I use Goodreads as one of my main helpful tools for reading, for lists such as I mentioned above and just like Shiloh, for looking at other’s reviews.

Also on the topic of Booktubers. One thing that I love is the variety. There are so many creative and fun channels to watch and to even learn something from. I feel like Booktubers are a prime example of what the Internet was made for; for people learning something new and for a storage of knowledge.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Since I can’t read a lot, I always relied on the other members of my book club to suggest titles and was never disappointed about the selections that we subsequently made. I wound up listening to the books and often didn’t finish before we met for discussions. Now that my book club has disbanded, I need suggestions from other sources. Oddly enough, although I love listening to a book performed in audio, I definitely prefer to read reviews on Goodreads rather than watch them on Booktube.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm 100% an audiobook person. It's funny because a few years back, I would read 1 book a day. When I was about 9-13 years old, I went to the library on a weekly basis (or almost) and always left with full hands of books. Sadly, this era of my life ended when I started becoming an internet person and hasn't come back since. Now it's much harder to find the time and if I do, it's uncomfortable for me and makes my eyes hurt - even though I don't normally have sight problems. So I only enjoy a good book if I'm walking around with earphones.
Although, as many mentioned before me, I love buying new books. I sometimes pass by the bookstore and see something interesting, or maybe I have a few minutes of free time so I enter and look at new releases. I love the smell of new books. My last purchase was Quidditch Through the Ages in English.
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Postby Kathren Johnsun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:49 pm

I just recently started listening to audio books. Where I work we have music going all day and after 8 hours of non-stop pop music, I really don't feel like listening to music on my drive back home. I need something to listen to with the distance and time of night so I started turning to audio books. I also had one book that I tried multiple times to read and just could never get into it, but with the audio book, I could focus on it when it got interesting and tune it out when it wasn't.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Kathren's post made me think about audiobook quality. It seems easy to find audiobooks in the original English version but if I want something in Czech, it can turn into a struggle very fast. Imagine searching for a Harry Potter audiobook - some of them are made by voice actors whose voices can be quite annoying. And the rest? Most of the makers can't pronounce names like Harry, Hermione or Hagrid properly. It makes it really difficult to find an audiobook you could listen to without cringing. Considering that most of the books I read/am interested in are foreign, the chances of finding a good one are sadly low.
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Return to “Harry Potter Book Festival 2018”