Week 1 - Discussion: How do you read?

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Week 1 - Discussion: How do you read?

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 am

Literature is one of the most ancient means of expression. Since the beginning of humanity, people have had the need to express their feelings and tell their stories, and one of the means to do it is through written word, and that is when books come handy! Once words are put into paper, it gives us the highest and most valuable quality of Literature: perpetuity.

But besides books, different kind of means have appeared that make the reading experience more inclusive and approachable to everyone. Whether you call it an audio book or an illustrated book, reading has evolved into many new means for us to enjoy a story.

For our first discussion we would like you to tell us How do you read? Do you like to take notes while reading a book? Maybe underlining interesting parts for you to remember? Do you have a special “ritual” before starting a new book? What about when it’s time to decide for a new book/story, how do you choose it? Do you have a favorite place to read?

Share with us your answers by discussing the topic below! You have until February 4th, 11:59 pm HOL time to do it. You can post twice and earn 5 points per post. Just remember that your posts should be at least 50 words long and that you need to wait until others have posted (or wait two days) before posting a second time.

Since this is a discussion, you should respond to what the others are talking about. And if you have many ideas and interesting things to say, then you are very welcome to post more than two times, but consider that only the first two will count for points.
Emanuel Hines
No broom

Re: Week 1 - Discussion: How do you read?

Post by Emanuel Hines » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 am

My reading habits are a little confused and nothing special, I guess. I do read when I have time and when I need relaxation. My reading is without any underlining or rewriting interesting parts, because if the book is so good I keep it in my mind and read it again after some months. Last time I was having troubles with starting really new books, because I was reading(re-reading) only my favourite books which I had bought through long period of time.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 am

Similarly to Emanuel, I do not feel as if I have any special reading habits. Depends mostly on why I am reading the book, I suppose. If it is for my own pleasure, I do not underline or make notes, because I think it is a shame to spoil a book by scribbling. However, if we are talking about a textbook or something similar, I frequently make small notes on things that help me understand terms better, note what was deemed especially important by the professor, or what needs further research.
Thank you Dario!
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:54 pm

I used to have this ritual when starting a book that I would go to the last page and read only the last word. I remember doing this with the Harry Potter books when I got old enough to read them myself. I ceased doing that sometime in high school because I found my eyes wandering beyond the last word. Thankfully, I never had anything spoiled by doing that, but I did not want to increase my chances of doing so.

When I am simply reading a book, I do not make any notes or anything in the book or on paper unless there is a quote that I specifically like. I started a booklr over the summer when I was doing a reading challenge, and I would take a photo of the book I had just finished and underneath it, type a quote from the book that stood out to me that I also thought described what the book was about. Sometimes I would put more than one quote if a particular phrase just said something to me whether it fit the entirety of the book or not.

When I am reading ebooks, I do often highlight in those or read the highlights others have marked when I have borrowed them from my library. Sometimes, I can learn a lot about what's being said by doing that or gain a greater understanding of a certain event.

And like Emanuel, I do find myself going back to the same books over and over again instead of starting new ones at times. This is why I love reading challenges because they force me to look at books I may have not read otherwise, and I must say that I have discovered some gems by doing that.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm

I too am on the "nothing special" boat. I just get a book and read it where I am, at least the first time through. If I'm reading it for something, like homework or the daily trivia in the Dungeons, then I'll read through it again and make notes.

I pick my books based on one of two questions; "What do I want to learn/get from reading?" and "Who recommends it?" For example, I read A Series of Unfortunate Events because my husband recommended it and I wanted to read them before watching the Netflix series.
Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Post by Gail Allen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:54 pm

I find myself re-reading a lot!
That seems to be a common trend here :P I have a truly terrible memory when it comes to stories sadly. I love them to bits but I find it so hard to retain story information - I often re-read things I myself have written some years ago, and I no longer remember at all. It's scary in a way, and annoying to be sure, but it means that often I will re-read a book and not remember what happened, but that I enjoy it. So I can read the same book for the first time several times.
(My memory only does this to narratives. Facts I cling on to just like everyone else, but narratives just... they don't stick)

Like Shi I do some times read e-books. When I do it's mostly for convenience; I can bring a lot of books with me without putting a ton of weight into my bag, and also, when buying books, especially english ones which aren't readily available in our bookstores, let along libraries, it is a lot easier to get the instant access of downloading it than having to wait two weeks or more before a physical copy arrives.
That being said, I love the look and feel of a real book, and the smell is heavenly. And the sound a hardback makes when you gently rap your fingers against it. It's wonderful and I love settling down with a good hard-bound book in the corner chair by the fireplace and just curl up and read.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm

I will join the re-reading wagon with Gail!

I have two or three books that are my absolute favorite and I reread them many times; Sherlock Holmes' collection of stories (two books) and collection of short stories by Joanne Harris. I always have one of those in my bag in case my phone runs out of battery and I need to wait for public transport or similar.

I dislike reading e-books. Most people around me adore them, but I find that I cannot focus on a book in electronic form. No idea why either. I am fine with reading book-length fanfiction on websites, but my attention evaporates when trying to read an e-book. Even on vacation, I rather take half a bag of physical books with me than go for a convenience of Kindle.
Thank you Dario!
Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Post by Gail Allen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 pm

That was actually me for a long time too Maxim. I somehow couldn't focus on them on the screen. And like you, despite reading fanfic on the screen that was oftentimes at least as long as a regular book.
But travelling a lot and often by train has by now managed to win me over to the dark side. And I do consider it the dark side. I am really all for keeping traditional books! There's something special and magical about them that their electronic counterparts just can't replicate!

Now that I travel a lot by car as well - where I obviously can't read - I often opt for audio books. Driving for 12 hours straight gets boring if you do not I find. I like listening to music in the car, but not for 12 hours. There I need a story to not get bored.
Then of course the next problem comes: Do I like the voice of the narrator and even more importantly; do they pronounce the names of people and places in the book the same way I do? If not, it's so distracting.
Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Maxim Trevelyan wrote:I dislike reading e-books. Most people around me adore them, but I find that I cannot focus on a book in electronic form. No idea why either. I am fine with reading book-length fanfiction on websites, but my attention evaporates when trying to read an e-book. Even on vacation, I rather take half a bag of physical books with me than go for a convenience of Kindle.
I love the feel of a book in my hands, turning the pages, and seeing the progress I've made/how much I have left. It's just not the same. I will say that reading e-books is convenient. I don't need a light at night, I'm not concerned about bending the pages/ruining the spine of my kindle, and when I'm finished with a book I can just start a new one even on the go. My favorite part though is being able to highlight and lookup words or references.
Gail Allen wrote:Now that I travel a lot by car as well - where I obviously can't read - I often opt for audio books. Driving for 12 hours straight gets boring if you do not I find. I like listening to music in the car, but not for 12 hours. There I need a story to not get bored.
Yes! I love singing along to music, but for those drives longer than an hour I need a good story to keep me focused and not bored out of my mind!
Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Post by Gail Allen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 pm

The looking up of references reminded me of something Arianna: When I first started reading English for pleasure rather than just for school, I read mainly fanfic, which meant I'd open it in word, which had the nifty feature of having a 'synonyms' feature. I used that instead of a dictionary, because it would usually get the point across for me by giving me several words that I probably knew a number of, that meant at least vaguely the same thing. It was really useful actually, because it meant I develloped a larger vocabulary by adding not just the word I was 'looking up' but other synonyms as well, and also getting a more comprehensive understanding of words.
But, I also found out that those words that described concepts I found particularly thrilling, I could prolong the feeling of being thrilled by reading their synonyms as well, so I'd look up those words while reading even though I knew very well what they meant just to prolong the thrill of the word past the point of desensitizing to that one word.
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Gail Allen wrote:'synonyms' feature. I used that instead of a dictionary, because it would usually get the point across for me by giving me several words that I probably knew a number of, that meant at least vaguely the same thing. It was really useful actually, because it meant I developed a larger vocabulary by adding not just the word I was 'looking up' but other synonyms as well, and also getting a more comprehensive understanding of words.
Thanks to a friend of mine, synonyms and the Thesaurus are my absolute best friends when it comes to writing book reviews or stories. I haven't read much when it comes to the higher level of reading, mainly because it is difficult for me to understand. However, I do get into this zone once in a while to determine new words that I can use in reviews or speak in lectures.
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Post by Kendra Givens » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 am

Let me start by saying I need to read more. I've been reading A Wrinkle in Time for forever because I read a chapter or a few pages and put it down. If I am on IRC and doing nothing, please tell me to go read.

That said, I CANNOT write in books. Annotating in high school was straight painful, because I always felt like I was defiling something clean and sacred. I remember a few times I was literally shaking while bringing my highlighter to the page. Once the first mark was done, it was easier because the book was already "ruined" after my first notes were made.

As far as choosing new books, that happens in a LOT of ways. Recently I went through a lot of the "top books" or "books you need to read" lists and wrote those all down. I have a list of over 100, and I've already had a few I read a few pages of and decided nope, not for me. I also love recommendations, and I will take pictures of the books on the "highlight" shelves at the bookstore or library so that I can document them for later. As a counselor, I try to look for books that relate to topics that can help me better help my students. I used to not be into non-fiction, but I feel like my job has gotten me way more into the idea.
Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Post by Kathren Johnsun » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am

Can I join in on the needing to read new books and not just rereading favorites? Or just reading more in general? I swear, I got three different books for Christmas (that I asked for mind you) and am only 40 pages into the first one without even starting the other 2. Mind you, it has only been a month, but still.

As for the original question, I have to read the back cover of the book. This is both how I determine if I even want to read the book and remember what has happened/will happen in a story if I have to restart after only making it part way through. Besides that I always take recommendations on new books to read although it may take me a while to get to them.
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 am

Whenever I go to the library, I always browse through the new non-fiction books. I like that they are generally stand-alone books. The problem with trying to pick out a new fiction book is that it might be the second or third book in a series. So, when I do go to the library, it is usually to pick up a fiction book I have on hold or to get one that I know is there. The last time I was at the library, I looked through the Tamora Pierce books and realized I never read The Immortals quartet. When I pulled Wild Magic from the shelf, there was a badger on the cover! (And I thought: No wonder Tarma likes this book!) That's what I'm currently reading.

As for reading habits, I used to commute to school, so I had a lot of downtime. I made sure to have a book with me at all times. I would read while waiting for the train or on the train and in between classes. Even now, I still try to have a book in progress. The bulk of my reading is completed on my work weekends. Mornings are generally pretty slow and I can get a few chapters in easily.

For recommendations, my dad and my youngest brother have similar taste in books as me. (My sister gave me her Game of Thrones books, but I couldn't get into them!) I try to read all books mentioned by students in my Journey of the Hero class and random titles around HOL catch my eye.
Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Post by Aurelia West » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 am

I usually really enjoy reading series, but lately I've been getting more and more interested in reading stand-alone books as well. I will admit that I don't reread as much as I'd like to, and there are definitely a few books that I've loved enough to reread so there's little reason to not return to those stories.

If anything, I have the habit of flipping to the last page as well, but not to read anything, solely to get the idea of how many pages there are so that I can know a bit more about where I am in a book. I know this is fairly redundant since with a physical book I can see exactly where I am with my bookmark, but it's become a habit that is now difficult to shake.

I will also join the team for not writing in books, because it is rare for me to scribble anything down in a book. If I've had any kind of revelation, fell in love with a quote, or wanted a definition for a word, I've always written it down elsewhere for me to deal with after I've finished reading whichever chapter or gotten to a good stopping point.
Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Polaris Black » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:20 pm

It bothers me to write in books also - as a child I really resented reading marked up books from the library. However, as a former member of the Barnes and Noble Harry Potter Book Club, I participated in discussions as well as word games and trivia so I really found it expedient to highlight words or even sections. Since I just couldn’t bring myself to ruin my own copies of the series, I bought a set of used paperbacks, which somebody else had already marked up!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 am

Sadly, I will have to go on the side of those who like to write in books. Although I like to be organized, I am never able to do so. In fact, I’m one of the most unorganized people you’ll probably ever meet. I write a lot in books. I am careful to not write over the words, I love writing in the margins and doodling on the sides. I know many people disagree, but to me, a book that was not written in is an unopened book, it’s a book that’s sits there perfect and prim with no real depth. One of my most favorite books, Paddington, is written all over. It look 5 years older than it actually is and I like that. I love the feeling of a book that has a history and as I look over my writing and scribbles and doodles I see a history of myself as a person.

Another interesting question I saw above is where is your favorite place to read. Honestly, I have a few very special places that I love to read. I do not mean that I only read there, I often read on car and subway rides, in school during free periods, etc. However, when you are in a special place with a book there is a magnificent feeling that surrounds you. The first place I love to read is in my room on my bed. I love the comfort the bed offers and since I can never find a comfortable position that I can stay in to read a book, I love reading on my bed since there are no hard floors, desks, etc. Another place that I love to read is in a new bookshop that opened near our house. It has two floors, and on the top floor, once you go up the stairs and immediately turn right you crash into a wall. However, if you turn so that you face back towards the stairs you find a small nook where the bookshop owners put in beanbags. The nook is barely noticeable and thus I love reading there because I am practically undisturbed.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 am

I use to have a place I like reading too, which also was in a bookstore. Sadly that and a lot of other bookstores have closed around me and there have also been a few times talks about closing down the library near me. I'm just glad they decided to keep it open.
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Post by Will Lestrange » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:38 am

Often I will see a book that looks interesting at a bookstore and then just start reading right there. Quite often, I'll either find the book engaging enough to keep reading or decide that I don't really want to spend more time on it. In the first case, I might decide to just read the book right there! (This works great for books that are interesting enough as one-time reads but not really compelling enough to keep you returning back to.)
Emanuel Hines
No broom

Post by Emanuel Hines » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:15 am

I love to go into my bookstore which is reallu near to my home. But I do usually not read there, because there are too many interesting books so check them a little. When I decide which book to buy it is really hard decision and always the books are those that I have already read, so I know that I am buying quality. I don't like to take risks- my rule: "Read the book and buy it if you have read it twice." Altough I know that many people buy books so they can read them for the first time, I do prefer reading book in the library.

Return to “Harry Potter Book Festival 2018”