Round Four Results

Moderators: Polaris Black, Prof. Kyrie Adderholt

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Round Four Results

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 pm

The results of our fourth round are IN!

Comments and scores are below! Congrats to Gail Allen, Shiloh Adlar, and Ravariel Aiwince on winning this week's popular vote! Congrats to Amanda P.X. Sim on being the judge's overall favorite for this round!

Sadly this round two of our judges were not able to judge. Judge Chicken BokBok is currently in St. Mungo's with a mild case of dragon pox. And Judge Catnip....well the hippogriff ate half her score sheet and she was not able to redo it in time! We instead have two substitute judges this round.

The winners and final standings will be announced soon!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Re: Round Four Results

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Contestant: Shadow Gaunt
Judges Total: 430
Popular Vote: 25
Total: 455

Judge Cowl
Score: 84
Comments: Your answers to the questions were very well thought out: I especially appreciated your thorough reasoning in the time turner and DADA question. Your fashion is also great, though I would have liked to see your swimsuit and for more clarification of which of the ones you provided was evening wear and which was your outfit of choice. It would also have been good to have a little more detail on your additional questions.

Judge Fidget
Comments: I would like to know some more about HOW you would change the homepage and what kind of RPG you are looking for. While your outfit drawings are nice, you did not complete all of the fashion portion (evening wear, swimsuit, and an outfit of choice). Your answer to the escape question was quite clever though!

Judge Chicken BokBok Substitute
Comments: I found your answers very enjoyable to read, even if they weren't as in depth on some of the questions as I would have liked! Your drawings were impressive. I can tell you put a lot of effort and thought into this submission.

Judge Catnip Substitute
Score: 88
Comments: Your answers to the questions were interesting, thoughtful, and sometimes quirky as appropriate. Although you missed out on the swimsuit, your other two outfits were well planned and explained. I think I speak for all of us when I say it’s really great you decided to come back and give HOL a second chance!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 90
Comments: I like the balance of you answers regarding the Time Turner and the Defense Against the Dark Arts class questions, discussing both point of views, which shows that you try to be objective and trying to see the complete picture. I love the description of your other talent and it is quite impressive as well (I know I can’t solve a Rubik Cube to save my life!), and in general, all of the questions were answered in a proper manner. Good job drawing and designing your own outfit! It looks great!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Contestant: Will Lestrange
Judges Total: 454
Popular Vote: 38
Total: 492

Judge Cowl
Score: 91
Comments: An all-round solid entry. I really appreciate the mellowing and increase of nuance I’ve seen from you since previous rounds. Your answers, as unconventional as some might be, have a strong internal logic and might work out surprisingly well if implemented. Your simple, tasteful designs really suit your style.

Judge Fidget
Score: 97
Comments: Your answers are very well thought out and I loved your answer about being MoM for a day!

Score: 81
Comments: While I really liked your unbreakable vow answers, I found some of your answers off putting. I'm also slightly concerned that the Draught of Peace might put you so as peace that you fall asleep and drown in it....

Judge Catnip Substitute
Score: 92
Comments: Your answers to the questions were well thought out and I loved those touches of humor. Your sense of style was well represented and described. I hope you find the opportunity to implement some of your suggestions to make Quidditch even better than it is today!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 93
Comments: I love the reflection about yourself on how you think you have changed and matured since you joined HOL until now. Learning and growing is the best part of any journey, and I’m glad you are aware of that. I also enjoyed your answer regarding the Unbreakable Vow, because even if you didn’t chose an scenario, the question was perfectly discussed, you were smart and your answer showed a great thinking process, and I quite agree with you! Your conclusion was great because, as you stated “Why would you risk it to win the favor of someone who still doesn't really trust you?” Overall good work!!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Contestant: Shiloh Adlar
Judges Total: 457
Popular Vote: 50
Total: 607

Judge Cowl
Comments: I can’t find anything to fault with your answers. They’re rich with detail, don’t shy away from thoroughly explaining (and overcoming) your struggles and epitomize your sweet personality. Your outfit of choice was excellent but I’d have liked to see the other two requested as well as I’m sure they would have been of a similar quality.

Judge Fidget
Score: 86
Comments: You had a great answer to the question naming 5 likeable things about yourself, and I loved your "work in progress" video, though you didn't do all three parts of the fashion portion (evening wear, swimsuit, and an outfit of choice). Your potion to swim through was also really unique and definitely a good idea!

Comments: I knew you would struggle with some of your questions, but you really answered them beautifully. Your drawing and video were very impressive, but it would have been nice to have seen more than one outfit like this round called for.

Judge Catnip Substitute
Comments: Your answers to the questions were quite introspective and very true to yourself. Although you missed out on two of the outfits, your choice of outfit and presentation was both unique and well done. I’m glad that you have your priorities straight and am amazed at how much you do!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 98
Comments: As usual all of your answers were well reasoned. I particularly liked your discussion about bringing back Snape. I too believed he is one of the most complex and complete characters and thus he deserves a chance to live. Your answers regarding the things you like about yourself were very deep and personal. They show how much you have grown up. Thanks for sharing! I also love the fact that you did your own costume and plus, you even made a video! Great job!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Contestant: Amanda P.X. Sim
Judges Total: 490
Popular Vote: 38
Total: 528

Judge Cowl
Comments: Seeing you taking the judges' comments into account and improving your work throughout the rounds, especially in this one has been such a joy. Your answers are quite exceptional and provide a lot of information. I especially adored your fashion exhibition where you provided a lot of outfits and sound reasons for them. Bravo.

Judge Fidget
Comments: It sounds like you have learned some great lessons during this competition, your answers are definitely more what we're looking for because we want to know you, and you did great research on your wand! I also really loved your reasoning on the overrated/underrated Gryffindors!

Score: 99
Comments: Your answers were some of the best of the competition! I really loved the Gryffindor answer and the thought you put into it. You really went above and beyond with your outfits too!

Judge Catnip Substitute
Comments: Your answers to the questions were much more comprehensive and addressed the judge’s previous comments. What can I say - you did an outstanding job representing your sense of style! I agree with your assessment of plagiarism and hope some of your well-thought-out suggestions can be implemented!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Comments: Thanks for providing complete, detailed and well reasoned answers. I particularly liked your discussion of the importance of History of Magic, and the story behind your piano. Also you analyzed very well the characters of Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. Your costumes are incredible and I liked that you also described each of them! Well done!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Contestant: Prof. Zoki Phantom
Judges Total: 436
Popular Vote: 13
Total: 449

Judge Cowl
Comments: I enjoyed reading your answers, though it would have been great if you’d expanded more on them. Your fashion choices are also incredibly pleasing, particularly your evening wear which is very regal (highly appropriate for a headmaster).

Judge Fidget
Score: 89
Comments: I would have liked a little more to your answers this round, and I'd love to discuss some ideas on how to make other areas of HOL more obvious to first (and even second/third years) because not being involved because of a lack of awareness is something I would have wanted to change as well! I did enjoy your outfit choices and explanations though!

Score: 82
Comments: This was a decent submission, but it paled in comparison with your performance in previous rounds. I really wish we would have seen more from you in your answers. I liked the outfits though!

Judge Catnip Substitute
Comments: Your answers to the questions were honest and provided much insight into your character. You have a very distinctive sense of style and your outfit of choice was well described. I smiled when I envisioned “the best thing that happened to you today”!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 85
Comments: Overall your submission was good but I think it lacked something, it lacked that spark that characterizes you! In general I liked your answers, but since this was the last round I was expecting more of you and to truly amaze us with your submissions as you have constantly done in previous rounds. Not bad but I believe this was not your round.

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Contestant: Katelin Ross
Judges Total: 449
Popular Vote: 13
Total: 462

Judge Cowl
Comments: Your answers present a person who is both very caring and steadfast in her beliefs: things everyone should strive to be. I would have liked your evening and swim wear designs to be a little more elaborate but I enjoyed them nevertheless.

Judge Fidget
Comments: It's interesting how many people's second house (regardless of first house) is Ravenclaw! Standing up for yourself is important and empowering, so its great you had that experience! Also, your swimsuit is so cute!

Comments: I liked your submission! Your fashion choices were really good! However, I wanted more from your answers, especially given the seriousness of some of the questions you were asked.

Judge Catnip Substitute
Score: 89
Comments: Your answers to the questions demonstrated your sincerity, loyalty, and sense of fair play. I loved your clothing choices – each had a little something that was different and memorable. And now “Mazur Spaghetti” is definitely on my bucket list!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Comments: I really liked your answer about who should be the next MxHOL. All of you definitely deserve an award for putting yourselves out there to be judged, and for all the hard work, creativity, time and heart you have put in each submission. I liked your honesty of your answer! “Mazur Spaghuetti”, please share with me some of your delicious never-ending spaghetti! Overall good submission! I enjoyed reading your answers.

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Contestant: Gail Allen
Judges Total: 485
Total: 535

Judge Cowl
Comments: The level of detail and care that went into crafting your answers is nothing short of amazing. I love how you took the original questions and pushed them further, including additional information that really gives us an insight into you and your thought processes. I have nothing to say but ‘a brilliant job’.

Judge Fidget
Score: 95
Comments: I think it is pretty impossible to do everything, and its not good to try as some things will inevitably suffer. Very good idea to let the Niffler do all the work while you do homework, hopefully he doesn't just keep the key!

Comments: Another really great round for you! Your answers were well thought out and entertaining to read. I really liked the effort you put into your fashion choices!

Judge Catnip Substitute
Comments: Your answers to the questions were quite detailed and required a lot of thought. Your outfit choices had just enough flair, would always be appropriate, and were beautifully presented. You have a great sense of who you are and what’s important to you.

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 96
Comments: I love your justification of the magazine question and how you are trying to be inclusive towards all of the audience. I can definitely see the “trickiness” of the “best friend versus another competitor” question but I think you managed to answer it in a honest and nice way, so well done! I also loved your analysis of apparition and I believed you nailed all its opportunity areas. Great responses as usual! They reflect your reasoning, effort and thinking process.

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Contestant: Ravariel Aiwince
Judges Total: 488
Total: 538

Judge Cowl
Score: 95
Comments: Your generous and scrupulously considered answers are quite superb; I especially appreciated those relating to your favorite part of being a Hufflepuff and what you’d change about the HP series. I seriously admire you for drawing your own fashion designs; I particularly like how they show your house pride without being too over the top about it.

Judge Fidget
Score: 96
Comments: I definitely think Muggle Studies is a good addition to the curriculum, that might even help with the blood status issues! I also love that you break into song; those are always my favorite episodes of tv shows! Your outfits (and drawing skills!) are great!

Comments: I loved your Hufflepuff answer! Your drawings clearly took a lot of time and you should be very proud of them...tiny head and all!

Judge Catnip Substitute
Comments: Your answers to the questions were thought-provoking and as individual as you are. Kudos for drawing your outfits – they are totally unconventional and absolutely wonderful! I would definitely support your activeness agenda and would register for any class you offered!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 100
Comments: I totally agree with you on the importance of Muggle Studies, I too have to wonder why it is not mandatory! Imagining that some students just finish their magical education without knowing anything about Muggle Studies scares me because it would definitely lessen prejudices. I also fell in love with your answer about being a Hufflepuff. It was so nicely expressed and honest! Hufflepuff should be proud of having a member like you, that portrays its characteristics in a perfect way. To prove my point, let’s just review your answer about what thing you would change about the HP books. The thing that stood the most to me was that you didn’t like Slytherin being a “House of largely evil to be students”, and that you wanted more balance in the Houses. Once again your Hufflepuff sense of fairness talking for you and that is great! Amazing outfits and amazing answers. Well done!!

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Contestant: Alexander Brighton
Judges Total: 451
Popular Vote: 25
Total: 476

Judge Cowl
Comments: I really admire your stance on bullying and your efforts to raise awareness of such a universal and damaging issue. I’d have liked some more detail on your outfit of choice, particularly what lead you to select it. I enjoyed reading your additional answers, though a bit more elaboration would have been great (particularly on the escape question, for instance).

Judge Fidget
Comments: The Jaw Droppers Award is very impressive, and I wish you luck on your two goal-awards! Trying something new and learning during the process is a great experience, and I'm glad you didn't shy away from trying something new. Very inventive escape route, and definitely a good idea to distract the niffler! I think this is your best round yet!

Comments: I really liked your answers! I hope you take the confidence this competition has given you and use it to work towards your goals! Loved the evening wear!

Judge Catnip Substitute
Score: 93
Comments: Your answers to the questions really demonstrate how much you’ve grown and learned about yourself during this competition. Your outfit choices were cool and fun and I particularly loved your take on “Evening Wear”! Just keep doing more of what you’ve been doing!

Judge Nickleby Duckling
Score: 87
Comments: I like you answers and your need to make people aware of bullying. It hasn’t been an easy journey but you are very brave and people should really be aware of how bullying affect the victim’s life. I also liked your discussion of all the things you have learned through this competition. It really proves that you are capable of anything and that perseverance is a quality of yours. Good submission overall.

Return to “Mx HOL”