Round Three Submissions

Moderators: Polaris Black, Prof. Kyrie Adderholt

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Round Three Submissions

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 am

This week we sadly say goodbye to Hannah R. Thomas who was unable to complete this round.

However, our final ten have their submissions below! Check them out and vote for your favorite! One round to go ladies and gentlemen!
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Re: Round Three Submissions

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 am

Contestant: Kendra Givens

Community Service
How active are you in HOL?
Since joining HOL in March of this year, I have been on HOL (almost) every day and participate in as much as I possibly can. I can admit that I’ve been less active lately due to RL being insane, but I log in frequently even when I can’t participate to make sure that I know what’s going on and participate in what I can. Real life is about to calm down (hopefully), so I look forward to getting back to being even more involved. I participate regularly in classes (as student and class assistant), HOL activities, house activities, newspapers, HOLLERs, and Quidditch. I spend a lot of time on IRC also.

How are you currently helping your House succeed?
I am helping Ravenclaw to succeed by participating the all-HOL activities and newspapers to earn house points. I am a Reserve Prefect, so I also help with the overall functioning and spirit of the Roost. I am taking 5 classes and assisting in 3, so that will also earn reputation and points for Ravenclaw. I am also a member of RQT and am doing my part there to help our team to be successful.

Outside of your House, what have you done, and/or are currently doing to help HOL succeed?
Lately, I have thought a lot about what I can do to help increase the activity level of all of HOL. In order to make an effort to do that, I frequently check the members list and marauder’s map to check for newbies in all houses. I will then send them a message to welcome them to HOL and encourage them to join IRC to meet new people, since IRC is my favorite part of HOL.

What are your plans to help both your House and HOL in the future?
My plan is to keep doing what I’m doing with participation and greeting new members as regularly as possible. As a reserve, my hope is to become a prefect and increase my level of leadership both in my house and in all of HOL so that I can help to keep the community united and active.

What is one way you think HOL could improve?

I think we could somehow be more in touch and welcoming to the new members. For some reason, there are those of us that were caught up in this 100% and are now addicted, but others who either log in a few times and don’t come back or they’re around for a bit and don’t find something or someone to connect to so they stop showing up. I think we all have some kind of newbie mentoring system set up in our houses, but I think we could do more to welcome new members as an entire community somehow. I also think HOL could become more accessible and user-friendly to those with disabilities, which I think the community is working toward slowly by diversifying the activities that are offered. It’s something that is difficult to be conscious of, but is necessary if we want to be inclusive of all people.

Are there parts of HOL that you have no interest in? Why?
I have not spent much time in the Art Department or in Hogsmeade, but I think that’s just because I have never been an art enthusiast and have found other aspects of the website that interest me. I would not say I have no interest, just that there are other things that grab my attention more. There is SO much to do around here that it is nearly impossible to spend equal attention to everything the site has to offer. I also find that I am not incredibly active in the forums, but that is likely due to the fact that I’ve always found forums hard to follow and enjoy the direct conversations on IRC more.

Website
This website is the first one that I’ve ever made. As such, I chose to use a template from Wix because I think they have very professional looking pages that are easy to work with. I picked a blog style page so that I could load the articles about myself and my interest and make it have the feel of something that I update frequently and people can follow (though I did not make it a permanent fixture, so no real following!). While I did not make a “page” describing why you should vote for me, I did make my message front and center on the page before you reach any other information so that it is clear and obvious. I wanted to include music on the page but was struggling with how to do so, so I was sure embed a video of one of my favorite wind symphony pieces in that particular blog post. You will also see that I made links to puzzles in my puzzle blog to provide some entertainment to viewers and make it relevant for you. I chose the color scheme that I did to represent Ravenclaw, and you will notice that included some fun facts about me at the bottom of my posts just for some added fun. I hope you enjoy!

https://kgivens1072.wixsite.com/kgivens1072

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 am

Contestant: Katelin Ross

Community Service
How active am I in HOL? When I read this question, I had to think quite a bit about it. I decided that I could not compare how active I am to anyone else, as one person’s active is different from anybody else’s active status. Over the years, I have had my active years and my non active years. In the beginning, I stayed to myself and only participated in HOL through the classes. That did not work so well for me, as I would loose interest and disappear from HOL. Later on down the line, I started participating more in my common room, in HOL activities, and in HOL clubs (i.e., The Pen Pal Club). I met many friends during the process, and I had finally found my small section of HOL. Fast forward to the 2017/2018 term, and I have now become a Mini Prefect and a member of the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team (which happened in the 2016/2017 school year). I have helped lead a couple of activities in HOL, I can be found active in IRC most days, and I am helping to keep part of my common room running. There are days where I miss the old times of HOL, but I am glad I am where I am at this moment. So, in conclusion, I am fairly active in HOL. I participate and help others where needed, and I participate in activities while still balancing my online life and my real life.

I am helping my house succeed in several ways. I am taking a full course load of classes, I help out teachers and student teachers by being their class assistant, I am a Spiffy (member of the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team), I am a Mini Prefect, and I try to participate in HOL wide activities when my real life allows. My goal every term is to receive more house points than I did in the previous term (helping to bring the House Cup back to Hufflepuff). I also do activities and participate in other ways. I enjoy being active and participating in activities that bring out my outside of HOL likes. I feel that being part of different activities keeps my house active, because people see you participating which makes them participate which triggers the domino effect. Sooner or later, more people are becoming active which means more house points. In conclusion, I am helping my house directly succeed by not only earning as many house points as possible (helping to bring the House Cup back to Hufflepuff), but also participating and helping lead activities in my common room which brings in new students and more chances for Hufflepuff to earn those house points!

Outside of your House, what have you done, and/or are currently doing to help HOL succeed?
I touched a little bit on my previous response to this question, but I am and have done many things outside of my house to help HOL succeed. Most days, you can find me hanging out in the HOL chat room (IRC). There you can find me talking with other HOL members, playing Quidditch including pickups, and welcoming/helping new students make their way in and around the many areas of HOL. I help new first years find their way around, show them their common rooms, help them to navigate their way to specific places, and answer questions they may have. I find that if new students feel welcomed into the HOL family, they will be more apt to staying put and earning points and joining in to activities in HOL and the various areas that make up HOL. I am also very active in the forums, making sure that when I am able to, I participate in the different activities that are put on. This currently includes MX HOL, the HOL Book Club, Quidditch and the Secret Elf Gift Exchange. Past events I have been a part of also include the Off to School event, the different summer activities, the various October/Halloween events that were put on, and previous year’s events. I have even mentioned HOL to other people at Hogwarts themed events that I have attended. I do not know if they have joined or not, but I find that letting the community know that HOL exists is a great way to bring in new students to our family. In all, I find that my best contribution to keeping HOL successful and making sure it continues to succeed is to welcome new students and showing them around, being active in the HOL wide activities, and mentioning to others that HOL exists (as most people I tell about this wonderful website have never heard of it).

My short term goals for HOL and Hufflepuff in the future is to continue to do what I am doing. I need to continue to earn house points by completing my homework, completing my class assistant requirements, participating in HOL and other house activities, and continue to be active in the different areas of HOL. I do not know yet what my long term goals are for HOL This year, I am a seventh year, and I plan to take my NEWTS and graduate at the end of this term. I have no intentions of leaving this place for good, but I do not know at this point whether I will go the postgraduate route or if I will become a professor. What I do know for sure is whatever title I choose, I will continue to be Katelin Ross. This place has been my home for eleven years, and I hope that it will continue to be for another eleven years!

There is not one thing that HOL could do to improve, but HOL should make sure that it continues to make new activities and continue to bring out new things for us to do. I love new surprises, and I believe the thought of new surprises keeps us going and it holds our interest. If we continue to have new and exciting classes, new and enticing HOL wide activities, and new people to talk with, people will continue to show interest in our wonderful world which in return will help HOL to continue to provide a wonderful place for us to grow and thrive.

I love everything about HOL. There are new places I come across on a daily basis. It is like I am learning something new everyday, but I am just discovering something new everyday. Even though I have been on HOL for eleven years, there are parts of HOL that I have never seen before. There are times where I will tell myself, “Was that here before?” I love discovering new and new to me places. If I have never been somewhere in HOL, it is not because I do not like it, it is most likely that I have never discovered it until now. I love everything about HOL! It is my home away from home.

Website
For this part of MX HOL, I had to teach myself how to create a website. Up until now, I have never made a website for myself or for anyone else. I began by watching Youtube videos on the subject. Youtube was a fantastic resource. It showed me some of the basic starting up ways of how to build a website (I could have gone more in depth, but just the basics was challenging enough for me). I then searched through some of the free website builders to see which one would be easiest for me to navigate. I was very frustrated at first, as this took me several days to get to this point. I cried and cheered all at the same time. Even though this site took me a solid week from beginning to end to make it the way I wanted it for the time being, I wouldn’t have changed the experience. I found this activity helpful for my future plans should I decide to become a professor.

https://katelinross.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 am

Contestant: Will Lestrange

Community Service
I have been consistently active since starting at this school back in 2013. Academically, I have always taken - and passed - the maximum number of classes allowed per term since starting out here. Outside of classes, my most important extracurricular activity has always been Quidditch: within five days of joining HOL I found my way to my house's Quidditch team. Besides Quidditch, I've always loved flying around the campus in general (and yes, I'm aware some people prefer to use the cryptic letter sequence "mIRC" to denote flying). Even on the ground, though, I've tried to make myself known - from my own common room to plenty of activities going on elsewhere in the school!

As a contributing member, I'm helping my house succeed through the points I earn (I've earned between 3200 and 3600 points every year at Hogwarts so far) and the flying skills I've developed on the Quidditch pitch. However, I've also taken on some leadership roles in my house: from Prefect (where I help lead the Silver Team to victory, as well as making newer members of my house feel welcomed) to a Quidditch Captain position (on the pitch, I like to think the results speak for themselves).

The most transparent ways I've helped my house succeed is through the official positions I've had: namely, my role on the Quidditch Board - where I help make sure the sport goes smoothly so that others can enjoy the Quidditch pitch as much as I have... as well as the classes I've been assisting over the past few years (I'm currently assisting Ancient Civilizations). However, I've been known to perform other "duties as needed" behind the scenes such as checking puzzles for consistency/fun/solvability... and hanging out in the air to help welcome newcomers!

I know that I have about three years left as a student here, and I plan on making the most of those years. I plan on helping my house by being an exemplary Slytherin Student and Prefect while I can; both serving as a role model and making newer members to the house (and community) feel welcome. After graduation (with three OWLs behind me already, graduation is finally in sight), I'll step up to become a professor... and maybe take on even more of a leadership role in house! As for the community as a whole? I think the best I can do for the community at the moment is more of the same of what I've already been doing: both in terms of being a role model and in terms of encouraging the newer members of the school. Next year, once most of my OWLs are behind me, I'll probably teach my first class - and I already have an idea of the subject...

I think that the school could improve its onboarding process for students starting out here. I only remember one significant change to onboarding since I started: my entering class of Fall 2013 was the last entering class that had to deal with a narrow enrollment window (when Spring 2014 started, so did open enrollment - which meant anyone could enroll at any time). While open enrollment makes the school more accessible, it means that newer students no longer have a cohort of other students entering at about the same time as them (which might take away from the feeling of camaraderie). I'd also say that the Sorting procedure here feels a bit random; when people are Sorted incorrectly, they tend to feel like outsiders in their own house. Even though most of us eventually find our 'right' house, having to struggle against a Sorting is not a problem anyone should have to deal with!

Lestranges have never been artistically inclined (at least one distant ancestor has viewed art as an exclusively Muggle pursuit), and I am no exception. Therefore, I have never found myself comfortable in the areas in the school that focused on arts and crafts as opposed to thinking, writing, flying, or dueling. Also, I find myself spending less time in the parts of the school where one's work cannot earn house points (given a choice: when I'm spending time here, I'd rather have the points to show for my work than not). That said, I feel comfortable in my common room even if I can't get points from the Dungeons... but that fact often means I need to spend time away from there! Finally, I've never really had an inclination for working on newspaper articles; that said, I've always enjoyed reading the newspapers of all four houses - even before I enrolled here!

Website

I used standard Weebly layouts to make the website, adding buttons to link between the pages and using Weebly to incorporate various images representing myself (including headshots) either as page elements or blended into the background. Finally, I determined how to divide the words I had written for other parts of this competition among several pages... and how best to place those words onto the pages themselves.

https://lestrange99.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 am

Contestant: Amanda P.X. Sim

Community Service
At the moment I am taking five classes throughout the fall term of this year, and I occasionally participate in all types of activities in common rooms and the forum, whenever I can. If I see any new challenges in the Art Department or Library, I'll try to join in the fun as well. I also have two Mimbulus Mimbletonia plots in the greenhouse, if that counts.

I am currently earning points the best I can by taking a maximum of five classes, and ensuring that I complete all my homework on time. I also try my best to participate in various activities that provide an opportunity to fill the Gryffindor hourglass with more rubies!

Although I'm not taking any positions in HOL right now because I am unable to commit to being regularly active just yet, my main goal right now is to be a part of the community that keeps HOL alive and thriving, so I join in and participate in as many things as possible. I also help out in any way I can if a lost firstie happens to ask for my assistance, which has happened a few times. Last but not least I always let people around me know about HOL, so that fellow Potterheads can join in the fun too!

I definitely plan on taking up some positions in the future, whether by representing my house or HOL itself. Perhaps resume a Prefect position? I don't know, we'll see if I get the chance to do that. I would also love to be a class assistant or teach a class myself, and help organise some activities. Oh and of course, I do want to be a part of the quidditch team one day!

I think it's quite a pity that there are many HOLers that are currently inactive, and I think it would be great if there could be some way of reminding them to come back, but to be really honest I'm not sure how it could work, because it seems that those who want to stay will stay. Other than that... can we get the #100 Wizard Card?

Honestly, no. However I have to admit that I have rarely visited the chat room or play HOL quidditch because I'm still confused about the way it works and yes, I know there are guidelines and all I just haven't gotten down to figuring it out yet. Will do, will do.

Website
Apart from the website template itself which I chose from the available templates in Weebly, I designed the rest of the website by picking out the fonts, arranging the layout, and organising the content in all pages.

https://mxhol-amandapxsim.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 am

Contestant: Shadow Gaunt

Community Service
I am very active in HOL, at least during this month and the two previous. Although I joined in November last year, I never really got into HOL until this year. For the three months that I've really got into HOL, November was my most active month. I became a member of RQT, am in the Blue and Bronze Olympics, and am participating in this contest. In December I have already done most of the Gryffindor December activity, have joined Slythmas and Silver Snake exchange. I have also joined Secret Elf and the Ravenclaw December Activity. I am still a member of RQT and try to attend all practices. I am also often on IRC, and really like to chat with people and help newbies.

Currently, I am helping my house succeed by being active in the Debate Club (join the Debate Club) and doing all my homework. I also participate in many activities, to help my house win points and fame. Finally, I am a member of RQT and I hope to one day be good enough at bottling to help RQT win the Quidditch Cup.

Outside of my house I try to help HOL my convincing newbies to stay and being active in many areas of HOL.

My plans are to help my house and HOL by teaching a class next term and becoming a prefect. I think that way I can become even more active and make HOL more and more active.

I think HOL could improve in the main site, hol.org.uk, and in updating. Staying up to date and more active is something not done by one person, but something that I really wish HOL could do. I also wish that incense people graduate they could have more freedom of what to do. I also wish that HOL had a Diagon Alley and/or Ministry of Magic. Finally, I wish that HOL that Hogsmeade had more things in it.

No, I have interest in everything in HOL. I love HOL and I think that everything in it is amazing, and even if it is a bit run down, it can all be improved.

Website

https://shadowgaunthol.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 am

Contestant: Shiloh Adlar

Community Service
I try to stay as involved as I can. Currently, I've been participating in every activity offered on the HOL site as well as the different House activities. I've already ran two activities and am currently running a third. I student teach and assist three classes, moderate a forum, am a Ravenclaw prefect and also RQT Co-captain where I have to manage practices and games. I have written for all house papers when submissions are accepted. I try to be on IRC when I have the time which is most often later at night until really early in the morning when my alarm clock comes on and I hear, "Shiloh, go to bed." I try my best to make quidditch pickups as they are a lot of fun, and I love watching Will go boom. <3 (I promise it's only friendly team rivalry, I don't really want Will to blow up). Hopefully, one of these day I'll be able to make it to HOL Gathering and Games as I really enjoyed the chat parties this summer. For now, they are scheduled at a time where I am at RL work and cannot attend. If I could spend almost all day, every day on HOL, I think I would be exponentially happy.

I am doing this by earning points wherever and everywhere I can. I also encourage my fellow eagles to sign up for point earning activities and to participate in pickups as well as posting on the forums. I try to give Ravenclaw a good light to the new people who come along so we can keep our new eaglets around as well as bringing in new students from other houses to participate in house activities that are open for all of HOL. I certainly want everyone to feel welcomed to share in the fun.

I have already run one HOL activity and am currently running another. I try to keep up with posting on the HOL forum so we can keep the activity going there. On IRC, I try to make sure anyone new that comes on feels welcomed and appreciated by the HOL community so they stay around. I also do not encourage drama or bullying that may or may not go on at any point. My goal is to bring all of HOL together so we can be at least a functioning family even if we may have our differences and not always see eye to eye on matters.

I want to continue organizing and participating in the activities offered on HOL and in Ravenclaw as well as the other houses. I think it would also be fun to develop some sort of role play back on the site as I have heard people mention that they miss this or would like to see this. We added a role play task for the Deathday activity back in October and it went over very well with the people who participated. They seemed to enjoy it, and I even got in on some of the fun and roleplayed as someone's cousin from France. I think bringing in things that people enjoy will encourage more activity from all.

The one way I think HOL could improve is by getting rid of the drama that sometimes goes on around the site. There have been many times I have had to take a break from HOL because of it, and I wasn't even involved. However, I could sense it and that was enough. HOL is such a great site, and to me, it's like another home. It's a place where I have found amazing friends for the first time in my life. I've learned how to socialize, or at least better than what I could when I joined the site back in 2012. I still sometimes find myself saying the wrong things or having things come out wrong simply because I'm still learning how to communicate with people after being in the dark for so long in real life. I've had amazing experiences on HOL, and I want others to have them, too, but that won't happen if there's any sort of "hate" or "fighting" or "drama" going on.

There really aren't any parts of HOL that I don't have an interest in. I think at one point, I was not a fan of any sort of art task simply because I'm not talented when it comes to making graphics or drawings or websites. I had to fight my negativity in doing the second part of this round because I knew my website would not be as good compared to others who have incredible graphic and webmaster skills. But comparison gets me absolutely nowhere, so I did the best I knew I could do and am proud of it. I have had to tell myself that in the past with the art activities. Who cares if it isn't that good. Are you happy with it? Then that's all that matters. So now, I really enjoy all of HOL. By not comparing myself or putting myself down, I can really participate in all aspects of the site and love every minute of it.

Website
I added the text and photo slideshow as well as the videos. The basic layout design was a pre-loaded layout. Other than that, I deleted the original content it came with and added my own sections.

https://shilohadlar.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 am

Contestant: Prof. Zoki Phantom

Community Service
My activity at HOL tends to depend on my general free time that I can devote to it. So I would say it has its ups and downs - sometimes I’m quite active, other times less so. Overall of course I always try to be present and observe things, even if not actively participating in things. Whenever I have the time I do try to put in the effort and take part in things. This includes activities, classes, etc. I truly enjoy time spent at HOL so I do my best to take part as it’s quite fun.

As a Headmaster, I try to remain impartial in all things related HOL and therefore I do not actively work on House-related matters. This is not to say that I do not have house proud or do not want to see Hufflepuff succeed, as hopefully my entry for the previous round has shown. Personally I like giving feedback and support to those who do well and are actively contributing toward the House’s growth. Similarly if someone comes to me asking for help or has questions, I try my best to aid them. I feel that way I remain unbiased while still helping the house succeed.

Since I’ve been around at HOL for many years now, I’ve been involved with various different things. I’ve helped Hufflepuff as a prefect, assisting with activities and general common room duties, as well as assisting the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team with some attempts at doing quidditch or refeering matches. I have also created or maintained different clubs or newspapers - HOL Pen Pal Club, Hogsmeade Herald, Wizarding Times. I was an active Head Student helping with staff and prefect duties at HOL. There are many classes, a few of which are still running, which were initialized, taught, or assisted on my part. I’ve contributed toward or hosted various past activities that we’ve had, including being part of the creation of the famous Triwizard Tournament we had with two different Virtual Hogwarts. There are many things I could list, and while some of them are standard things that many of us actually do - such as classes, or activities, I believe that all of those effectively help make HOL a great place.

I am really a short-term goals kind of person. I don’t have a planned out picture for very long in the future, I enjoy focusing on topics at hand and things that can be visualed in the near future. As such I do not have huge plans to share - I just see myself trying my best to put in more effort in our ongoing activities and plans.

I believe we can all try to be more open. I know that’s not a direct idea or project that can be worked on, be completed, and provide results the day after. But I think we can all try to be a bit more open to others - talking, sharing thoughts and ideas, listening to what they have to say, actively discussing things. That way we could all be part of improving everything we currently have, and work on fresh new content for everyone to enjoy.

I wouldn’t say there are parts that I have no interest in, as I truly love HOL as a whole. There are definitely areas which I am less enthusiastic about, compared to other areas. One that comes to mind for example would be Quidditch. This is not to say I dislike it, or have no interest in it. I have played on the Hufflepuff Quidditch Team, I’ve refereed matches, I’ve both participated and help host Summer Quidditch Leagues in the past. But it’s certainly an area that I am less interested in, compared to other areas. Definitely not as big of a fan as some of our amazing Quidditch folks!

Website

https://votezoki2017.weebly.com/

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:31 am

Contestant: Alexander Brighton

Community Service
I am quite active in HOL. I’m always checking HOL and the common room any chance I get. I am just a student right now, but working toward becoming more. I am also a class assistant for Defense Against the Dark Arts which is a lot of fun. And I’m on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team. So I am quite active. I’m planning on getting more involved in HOL activities and don’t want to ignore any chance for earning points. I’m taking 5 classes as well.

I am helping Ravenclaw succeed by earning as many points as I can either through classes or activities. I never like turning down an apportunity for more points. I’m on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team and hope to help Ravenclaw succeed that way too.

To help HOL succeed right now, I am a Student Teacher which I think helps a lot. I’m only a second year, so I haven’t done a whole lot yet. I’m an active member of HOL.

My plans for the future is to hopefully become a prefect so I can help Ravenclaw and HOL even more. It would be nice to help out the new students who join HOL because I know how big HOL is and how easy it can be to get lost. I got lost before in the massive hallways and secret passageways, not to mention the staircases. Maybe I can learn how to organize events too. Through the next 5 years, I hope to climb the ladder in HOL.

I hope I explain this right. I think HOL could improve in the way of some creative activities. This one is fine because there are other options, as long as you’re creative, you don’t necessarily need to draw. But I noticed that a lot of activities do want you to draw and some people can’t draw. So I think for those activities, it should include other options that those people can do. The people who can’t draw might be more likely to participate if there were other options that they could do, like making something, playing an instrument, puzzles, and others. Other than that, I can’t think of anything else HOL could improve.

The only parts of HOL that I have no interest in is in the HOL forum, the book club and the HOL Tolkien Society. The only reason I don’t have an interest in the book club is because the only books I will read is Harry Potter and Oliver Twist really. I did try some other books, but I lost interest easily. The only way I won’t get bored so easily is if the book is from a movie so I can picture the scenes in my head as I read or if the book has a lot of action in the first chapter that I can’t stop reading. Reminds me of those enchanted books from the Hogwarts library that make you read forever (happened with one of the harry potter books before seeing the movie) I read almost half the book at one time. I don’t have interest in the HOL Tolkien Society because I don’t know who J.R.R Tolkien is or his work or movies.

Website
Hope you like it. The things i did to it was I added a bit of an intro in the Home page to what I included in the website. Then I added an About Me page that tells a little bit about myself in HOL and real life. I also added some pictures throughout including from the earlier weeks. I added Entertainment and Fun which has some videos of me singing and some videos of me playing the piano. I also added a picture in there of the Ravenclaw Common Room. Then I went and added a page called "Vote for me" campaigning for fans to vote for me, with a picture i created in Paint and reasons why they should vote :). Then i added a conclusion page which i called the end, it mainly explains why i liked this task of making a website and hoping everyone enjoyed it. I also included a little funny picture that says "That's all folks!". Making the website was challenging, but it was also rewarding. Thank you.

https://sites.google.com/view/thegreatalex/home

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 am

Contestant: Gail Allen

Community Service
am incredibly active in HOL. I love talking on the forums and most days I check several times to see if something new has happened. I also participate in as many activities as I can manage; I try to at least make sure I participate in all the major HOL-wide events, such as the 525th Deathday Party, the Hogsmeade Literary Festival, and obviously Mx HOL. Before that I helped organize the Off to School activity, and currently I am one of the organisers of Secret Elf.
I make sure to stay active in my classes too of course. I am enrolled in five classes, and I plan to pass all of them, hopefully with full points or near full points. I take pride in doing things well and would hate to settle for something of lower quality than I knew I could deliver.
Other than that, I love spending time in the HOL chat rooms, and most days you will be able to find me there.

As a Reserve Prefect I take on some House internal responsibilities, such as moderating forums and creating interesting topics for people to respond to. I also write a yearly newsletter to let everyone know what is going on around HOL, and I help create activities for the Roost. Right now I am running the Save Christmas event in Ravenclaw. Hopefully people will enjoy participating in it, as much as I enjoyed creating it.
I also have gotten the chance to be an editor for Alte Sententiam, the Ravenclaw newspaper, which I love because it allows me to help put together a newspaper I think Ravenclaw can be proud of.
As mentioned above, I also make sure to stay active in my classes and earn points for Ravenclaw where I can. Last year that won me the place as top point earner in all of Ravenclaw, which I am very proud of. Hopefully this year I will be able to earn even more points now that I am teaching as well as assisting classes.

As mentioned above, I serve as class assistant to three classes, and teach two myself. I love the variety of classes offered and I want to support that. Offering classes of my own as well as making it easier for a Professor to teach more classes is an excellent way of ensuring that the variety on offer remains great.
I also have a seat in the Class Committee, which is the committee that makes sure that classes are active and up to date, as well as stepping in to finalize classes where the professor has disappeared. So far I've not had to help out with that side, since all classes have run smoothly since I joined, but should it come some day, I will be ready to step in and help make sure that all homework that has been sent in is graded and points awarded.
Most importantly though I try to be helpful and volunteer my help with any odd jobs people need help with. It might not be something great or even measurable, but I find it to be one of the things I am most proud of doing for HOL.

I plan to create another class, that I will probably apply to teach next fall term, because I don't think I can finish it to my satisfaction, in time for the spring term. I don't like doing things half, so I would rather wait until I can be sure I can do it properly. I also plan to help run an activity in the new year, but I won't say more about that yet: it would spoil the surprise ;)
Other than that I simply plan on continuing to do the things I already do and work towards hopefully being promoted to Prefect some day.

I think one of the most beautiful things on HOL is the community and friendships between its members across house lines. It is something I think HOL does even better than what the Harry Potter books depicted. That doesn't mean we cannot still improve however. I would like to see even more unity, and understanding and compassion for our differences. This is one of the things no community should ever stop working on, no matter how good they already are. It is simply too important, and we can always do better.

I've been trying very hard to find an area I had no interest in, and I've failed at finding one. I think the reason why is because I am curious by nature, so finding just about anything uninteresting is a rather foreign feeling to me.

Website

I had so much fun creating this page. Everything you see is created by me from scratch. I created all the graphics - including background images, and the coding for the page itself. The page consists of a main table that creates a structure for everything else to sit in. Some of the images on the background extend over more than one cell in this grid and had to be very precisely cut and measured to come together exactly right without any gaps or uneven connections. This is true for the butterflies for instance; there is a cut down through the top butterflies where two images lie next to each other precisely enough to create the illusion that it's one image.
To make it that accurate, I had to edit the heights and widths in HTML to make sure everything lined up exactly, which means that most of the page was written out in HTML. Luckily I have a program that allows me to see the changes I write in HTML in real time.
The links all open in a central iframe, and all text colours and sizes are governed by CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

http://mxhol.gailallen.dx.am/index.html

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:34 am

Contestant: Ravariel Aiwince

Community Service
All in all, I fear calling myself truly active would be wishful thinking on my part. As I mentioned already in the application round, I need to balance very carefully how much and what kind of work I can allow myself to pick up for online activities. As much as I love writing, for instance, writing tasks with a deadline are always particularly daunting to me due to my perfectionism. Between that, the fact that I get very easily overwhelmed by the feeling of having too much to do and then end up not managing anything, and a highly active Real Life, I’m afraid this badger is a rather sleepy one.

Currently, I’m mostly grading assignments for two classes and participating in Mx HOL. I’ll pick up classes again next term and I snaffle activities whenever I can.

By earning points mostly, particularly through participating in this contest. It turns out that I am pretty easily convinced to take part in things if someone tells me “We need more Hufflepuffs here! We have too few Huffie signups!” I had originally discarded the idea of joining Mx HOL, because I was sure I wouldn’t have enough time to not risk dropping out midway, but when Kyrie prodded my badger pride, I simply couldn’t say no.

Also, though this might not be so relevant on HOL itself, where the Houses are all linked in friendship, I am a very outspoken advocate of Hufflepuff’s ideals and defender of my House against all the “house of losers” talk that Hufflepuff often faces. That’s something I could probably write lengthy essays on if I tried.

Firstly, I frequently recommend HOL to Harry Potter fans I know. It may seem like a small thing, but new members bringing fresh creativity and new ideas are what keeps communities like ours alive. It’s always good to spread your enthusiasm about HOL and tempt potential new members with all that’s awesome about it – the classes, the activities, the community.

On a scale of smaller relevance, I also proofread for classes and activities and am happy to test puzzles to see whether they work. So far, I’ve mainly done this for Gail Allen, but I’d be happy to help anyone that is interested by checking their HOL texts for mistakes in language and content and trying their puzzles.

For reasons I have by now amply mentioned, I’m keeping my ambitions for my future on HOL well grounded. I certainly mean to keep up what I’m doing so far and participate in at least some classes and activities every term. Beyond that, I would really like to teach a class at some point. It will certainly be a class with linguistic content, although I’m still juggling ideas for the content. I’m considering something on one or several fictional languages.

Off the top of my head, I certainly can’t think of anything that definitely needs change. One thing that bothered me initially – that it was only possible to sign up for a short time twice a year, which led to quite a few people looking at HOL and then forgetting about it – has long since been fixed.

One thing I could think of as a good idea would be having designated newbie helpers and contacts that aren’t House-specific. It would be good if there were a handful of people that could easily be found and contacted on the main HOL site rather than in the House forums, which I’m sure would make it easier especially for uncertain and shy newcomers. The newbie helpers could answer questions, offer recommendations and help and, last but far from least, help the young HOLers find their footing in the community also outside of their Houses.

Not as such, though I can’t say I get around much due to my restricted amount of activity. I believe that the part I’m least interested in is the HOL library. The writing activities that it offers are simply, well, too heavy on the writing for me to feel I have the time for them, and I lack the leisure to just dig around in there and read. That doesn’t mean I lack interest in the library by default, but my priorities for HOL certainly lie elsewhere, mainly with class work and puzzle-heavy activities.

Website
I used an empty template from wix and used some of their graphics for frames and the header. Apart from that, I kept the basic setup of the 'Welcome' page and the page I named 'Arts and Crafts'. The rest I set up on my own with the website builder tools wix has.

https://proudbadger.wixsite.com/mxhol

Return to “Mx HOL”