Round One Submissions

Moderators: Polaris Black, Prof. Kyrie Adderholt

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Round One Submissions

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Below are the applications we have received for Round One.

After you look through them all, please head here: http://forum.hol.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=507&t=30220 and vote for your favorite! Popularity vote can earn a contestant up to 50 points per round! You have until 11 pm HOL time on November 14th to vote!

The judges are currently locked in a secret room working on scores!
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Re: Round One Submissions

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Name: Eden Pheniox
Year: 1
Any Positions: None
HOL House: Ravenclaw

Why did you join HOL? To have fun!

What is your definition of a role model? A role model is someone who you can look up to and follow.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Homework!

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? The books are SO captivating

Of the categories listed that you will be judged on, which do you think is the most important, and why?
Confidence. If you don't have confidence then you can't do it.

Which category will be the hardest for you?
I can't decide! None I guess...

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes. Discrimination because of gender will offend some people. And annoy others

Is there any other information you would like to give the judges and your fans?
I love to read, I enjoy singing and dancing, and I love Order of the Pheniox and Deathly Hallows.

Talent
I have many talents. I can sing, dance, and write. I can bring people together, I can be a gymnast. But I pride myself most on my ability to change the world. I present to you, my Girl Scout bronze award project!

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Name: Blade J. Johnson
Year: 6th
Any Positions: HOL Staff
HOL House: Slytherin

Why did you join HOL? To learn new things.

What is your definition of a role model? Is someone that you can depend on, someone who will look out for others and will not think of their own gain even if others might not do the same.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Sometimes I give advice where I am not really asked for advice and I had to learn when and where it is most appropriate to give advice.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I'm not that interested in Harry Potter, but I love the classes on HOL, and some of the activities. Also I really want to finish all 7 years of my Wizarding education. However, do to me and the HOL OWL Head seeing things differently I will not pass them. So I'll just be here another two years and then not be on so much.

Of the categories listed that you will be judged on, which do you think is the most important, and why?
Community Service, because it is always important to help other people, especially if they are younger or weaker than yourself.

Talent, because my real talent can't be seen on a piece of paper. My real talent is how much of a leader and role model I can be if not always having my wings clipped.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, men and woman can do about the same stuff.

Just that it would be nice to have more time to do this. I will only have weekends and spare moments to do things.

Talent
One talent that I do have is being able to deal with a lot of different animals, because I have had many kinds of animals from a black rooster named Elvis to a normal husky/chow dog named Sally. In fact, if I did not like working out and helping other people work out even more than animals I'd say this would have been a great field for me to get into. Anyway I added a coloring picture of my old rooster Elvis.

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Name: Vanessa Tilley
Year: 1st year
Any Positions: Not yet but I am hopeful for the future :)

Why did you join HOL? I joined HOL in the hopes of finding and making long-term friendships with people who have similar interests as me. I am a pretty reserved and shy individual so HOL is a great starting point for allowing myself to open up and even develop my talents and hobbies such as drawing, writing, and being creative in general.

What is your definition of a role model? My definition of a role model is someone who has high values and morals and sets a great example for others to follow. My role model is my mother who taught me that we should always treat others as we would like to be treated and to take care of those who are not able to take care of themselves such as the elderly, children, and even animals. I strive every day to be kind and helpful to every one I meet and to not judge because you never know what someone is going through.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? The only real challenge I have had to overcome in HOL is to break out of my shell. As I mentioned, I am a very reserved person due to some pretty harsh life lessons that I have experienced and grown from. I find it very hard to open up to people without to others without fear of being judged but I have made some wonderful friendships already where I know I can be myself and will not be judged for just being me. Those friendships have given me confidence in myself and I have am a lot more open of sharing myself and my talents with others in HOL.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I love Harry Potter because it is very focused on loyalty and friendship. I hold both of those values in the highest respect so I love finding something that shares my values. I also love the idea of magic. I try to find the good in everything and I like to believe that there is magic in the world if we just look around to find it. Every beautiful plant, every sweet smile, and so many other wonders of the world exist though it can be hard to see when horrible events keep occurring all over the world. I love participating in HOL because I get to create art or be creative so I feel like I am getting the ability to bring some beauty into the world. I feel that bringing beauty into the world can help others be happy and see the wonders that still exist even when the light and good in the world is hard to find.

Of all the categories listed, the most important category to me is character. As I mentioned, my mother is my role model and she and my father shaped my character. I believe character should be highly valued and that one should work hard on creating a good example to others through their character.

The category that is hardest for me is confidence. I have been in a situation where I was emotionally and mentally abused so it destroyed any and all confidence I had in myself. I have a great support system that always lifts my spirits when I lose confidence in myself but I still have a hard time believing in myself. HOL is helping me have more confidence in myself by all the amazing encouragement I receive and I am grateful for that but I still have a long journey ahead of me as I continue to learn to believe in myself again.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? I agree whole-heartily that Mx HOL should be general-neutral and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements. My mother and father taught me that we are all equal and that NOTHING makes someone better than another. I have lived my life by that philosophy and I have tried to lead by example each and every day. No one should be treated differently or held to a different standard because we are all the same no matter what anyone tries to tell or push onto others.

HOL was had a major impact on me in the few short months I have been a member. I joined in May and within two days I had already made a few great friends and been welcomed in with open arms. I have shared my works of art and my writing with others and have received so much encouragement and kind words that I have been inspired to continue being creative and to take classes on things I always wanted to but thought I could never succeed in such as drawing classes, and taking foreign language courses again. I have even learned some new skills and gained some new hobbies such as candle making, cooking, and painting especially watercolors. I am so grateful I found HOL and I can't wait to continue to grow as a person and to continue to make long lasting friendships.

Talent
Here are a few doodles and drawings I have created. The Goldilocks project I started after starting HOL. I was so happy with all the encouragement I received on creative projects that I did in HOL activities that I joined an online class called Ever After and started creating drawings of fairy tale characters with a twist. The doodles I can't have stages on because I did them in about 5 minutes but I hoped those along with my 2 stages on Goldilocks will be enough to let you see I did create them all myself by hand. They are all labors of love along with blood, sweat, tears, and sometimes quite a bit of frustration.

A realistic giraffe:

The Grinch:

Goldilocks with a twist (Goldilocks and the three compassionate bears):

This is where I started painting her in acrylics:

Sadly, I haven't finished painting Goldilocks yet due to life's fun interruptions but hopefully soon she will be finished.

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Name: Kaitlyn Nightingale
Year: Second
Any Positions: -
HOL House: Hufflepuff

Why did you join HOL? I came across HOL randomly and wanted to try it because that's the kind of thing I tend to do at night when I'm meant to be asleep.

What is your definition of a role model? A role model is someone whose actions and mindset you wish to adapt and whose name you aren't ashamed to say if somebody asks you who you admire.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Frankly, I've been here for a pretty short time - just over a year. And so far, it has mostly been fun and games, only a tiny bit stressful when several deadlines are approaching at once. If anything, joining a community where all members already know each other so well might've been the toughest part.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I haven't even lived that long, I got to grow up exploring the wizarding world. Even now, we learn something new every once in a while. The Harry Potter universe didn't stop existing when the last book was published! Also, the atmosphere of Hogwarts is so gripping it makes it impossible to read the books or watch the films without dreaming about being there. And HOL just adds a bunch of wonderful people to it. So many reasons!

To me, Personality would be the most important aspect. But this is probably very individual and it's also been stated that in this contest, they are all equal.

That would be Presentation. I'm a pretty shy being and also a perfectionist - not a very good combination! *G*

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes! I wasn't here for the previous years but I love the idea! In the modern world, if somebody needs an explanation for this, they've probably heard it before but decided not to accept it. So telling them again may not actually help.

I hate the thought of people thinking I'm joining this because I think I should win or something of that kind. I just believe that it'll be a fun event - it certainly looks promising! That's all I wanted to say, thank you. *smiles*

Talent
For this part, I'm going to show you a recording from a concert of mine. I sang Ave Verum Corpus by W. A. Mozart, my choir's conductor accompanied me on piano. I hope using that is okay.

https://clyp.it/wtslc20l?token=0085f8e01471bf668d264f86e735e917

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Name: Pavel Lagrange
Year: 5
Any Positions: RQT Member

Why did you join HOL? I joined HOL at the height of my Harry Potter obsession, the first community I had been a part of had shut down and I found HOL pretty soon after. I was pretty impressed with the wide scope of HOL and the wide variety of things to do and the size of it which was what made me go from just looking around to making the decision to actually join and stay.

What is your definition of a role model? To me a role model is someone who inspires you to be a better version of yourself. Someone you can look at when you're unsure or in a difficult situation and think about what they would say to you or how they would behave and use that as guidance for your own actions. To me the key part is even when that person isn't physically there with you, you can use them as an example to look up to.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? I suppose the biggest challenge for me, having been a member for a long time now, has been finding and keeping a balance between how active I want to be and how active I can be and how those levels change with changes in life in general. I've gone from being super active and taking part in everything I possibly could to needing a break and not doing much at all for periods of time and finally going back to wanting to do more but not having the time with a busy work schedule. I've managed to find a good balance and acceptance that I won't be able to do everything I could when I was studying and had more free time but it's ok to do what I can.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? Coming back to the books is something that always helps keeping the interest levels high, and to a lesser extent for me the movies. And then there have been new things such as fantastic beasts, other side stories and the cursed child so even though the series of books has finished there has still been a lot to find out about the world. Other than that, Quidditch never gets boring!!

I would say character or personality is most important. If I have to pick one I'll go for personality. For the others, community service is largely dependant on how much time you can give. Some people will always be more confident than others so I've never used this as a criteria for judging people, people can be creative in totally different ways so it can be hard to judge on. It'd be similar for talent, style and presentation - people can do these in so many different ways. Your character and personality is who you are, something that defines you and will drive your actions in the other categories and be a constant theme in any way you show yourself to other people.

Probably presentation because I don't like talking much (especially about myself!) and I'm not much of an open communicator so it will be challenging to have to do that (such as for these questions in the application ...).

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? I agree that it should be gender neutral. There are absolutely no limitations based on gender in terms of what someone can or can't do in this contest so there's no real reason to separate the judging for different genders. I like that everyone has the same requirements as it recognises the fact that everyone has equal potential to do well, and gender, or anything else such as where they're from doesn't matter at all.

Hello judges! Thank you for taking the time to judge this contest, also you have all chosen some very funny and creative names. Also thank you to fans (for anyone, I doubt I have any lol!) for taking the time to look at what everyone is doing :D

Talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeVsE7i-kk&feature=youtu.be

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Name: Will Lestrange
Year: 5
Any Positions: SQT Captain, Slytherin Prefect, Quidditch Board member, Quidditch Referee, Class Assistant for Ancient Civilizations
HOL House: Slytherin

Why did you join HOL? I was an 11 year old pureblood in the summer of 2013; where else would I go? ;) (Granted, we did consider Durmstrang, but ultimately decided that Hogwarts had better traditions and more room for me to grow and excel.)

What is your definition of a role model? Someone who, by their actions and charisma, inspires others to follow in their footsteps. Here at HOL I've been fortunate to have plenty of role models; some were great leaders, some were great fliers on the pitch, and some were both.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Even though many promising Slytherins entered HOL at the same time as me, most of the establishment in the house seemed to be much more experienced - and knew each other really well, so there were lots of inside references I didn't get. Meanwhile, despite my pedigree and flying speed, I came in as "the new kid". So I learned as many inside references as I could while perfecting my classes and my flying maneuvers - and by now, many people see me as part of the Slytherin establishment!

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? Why would people presume that I, a Lestrange, would be interested in Scarhead? I participate to the extent I do out of pride for myself, my family name and my house. And I'm proud of the progress we've made in the four-plus years since my enrolment here.

I think that the most important category is style; after all, charisma is one of the most important traits in getting things done with the help of other people, and style is a key component of that!

Character will probably be the hardest category for me; what I value is often different from what other people value, and this can easily be perceived as being lacking in character.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Part of me thinks that this goes against the tradition of these types of contests, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. After all, charisma isn't tied to gender (it's not like the Muggle world where men and women are perceived to have very different types of charisma; here it's very possible for men or women to be Ministers of Magic, Dark Lords, or hold any other positions of influence!)

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate in this contest; I have heard about past versions of it from older students... and regretted that I was born two and a half months too late to participate in the last iteration. That said,as a young 11 year old first year I wouldn't have had a chance... so I'm glad I have my chance now!

Talent

My talent for this part of the competition will be flying. Below is a link to a demonstration of my flight, with my speed clocked as fast as 130 miles per hour!

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 pm

Name: Gail Allen
Year: 2nd
Any Positions: Student teacher, Class Assistant, Alte Editor, Class Committee Member, Reserve Prefect

Why did you join HOL? I actually joined HOL several years after getting to know it. I have RL friends who were members and who encouraged me to join, but at that time I did not have the kind of time I knew I would want to dedicate to being a student at HOL. I never want to do things half; either I do them and do them well, or I don't start. It's not always a good way to do things, but it is one I am inclined towards. When last year I was looking through my bookmarks and rediscovered HOL, having more time on my hands than before, I finally decided to join. What especially drew me in was the idea of a school modelled on Hogwarts, and what made me stay was a mix between the many interesting classes and activities offered, but, most of all, it was the amazing people I've met through HOL.

What is your definition of a role model? The definition of a role model can be boiled down to something very simple: It is someone whose example is worth following. As simple as that sounds, however, it is also incredibly broad, and does not actually say anything about what qualities are then required for that example to be worth following. One of the most important in my eyes is a high moral standing. A role model must be someone who is able to tell right from wrong and is not afraid to make that distinction, and let others see that. That requires courage and I think that is another quality a role model must possess. Courage to stand by their convictions, courage to stand up for what is right, and courage to speak against that which is wrong, even if that means making themselves unpopular. I also think it is important for a role model to work hard to achieve what they have. If they were just handed everything on a silver platter, then it is nothing about them that made them successful, but rather circumstances, and that is not something that is easy for others to emulate. A role model must be someone others can mirror themselves in, and be inspired to follow their example, to grow as human beings.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? I've luckily not really had to overcome many challenges at HOL, which I am really grateful for. The challenges I have had to deal with, are quite similar to challenges I also deal with in Real Life, and that I think most people will have to face at some point or another in their lives: the realisation that it is not always possible to do everything I want to, and that sometimes I will have to accept a less than perfect result to be able to deliver anything at all - and that that is alright. It is a hard lesson to learn, but one that is very necessary. It is good to strive for perfection, but it is also good to realise that less than pefect is also worthwhile.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? Until recently it had been a long time since I last re-read the Harry Potter books, but when I did I realised how much depth there was to them, depth that in some cases, I did not see when I last read them. There is a wealth of references to both myths and history written into the books that I find fascinating and that keeps drawing me in. I think the books also have exactly the right amount of things that are explained in full and things that remain a mystery to keep me interested and keep me discussing them.
More than those, however, it is the community around Harry Potter and HOL that keeps me engaged. I feel welcomed here like I have rarely experienced it before and that is ultimately what keeps me coming back.

To me, personality would seem the most important category, because that is something innate and not something that can be artificially projected without falling flat very quickly. It is also what forms the foundation for all the rest. I think it is true that it is the thought that matters in many instances: Any community service is great, but I would value far higher the service that is given from a pure heart without thought of personal gain, than that which is only performed for the person to look good. And confidence is similar; confidence in the right person can lead to great things, but in the wrong person it can lead down some quite dark paths. The same goes for all the other categories. They are all great in a person whose intentions are good, but bad in a person who would use them for ill.

For me the hardest category will probably be style. I am not very stylish and find it hard to put together outfits for instance. I often flounder on that, because I think that is probably the least important part, no more than the outer layer. While it is very pleasing, of course, I think that what is on the inside counts more, which means that that is what I've spent more time honing my skills on. That has led to a certain lack of skill when it comes to style.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? It should certainly be a gender neutral contest and everyone should be judged on the same merits. Men and women are equally capable of creativity, or performing community Service, or making their personalities shine. Judging men and women on different merits would be unfair to both, and imply that there are certain things that either gender cannot do simply because of their gender. I think that is a very wrong message to send. Men and women should be equal and are equally capable and equally worthy.

I am rather surprised to have fans to be honest! But I would like to tell my fans that I am delighted they're cheering for me. Thank you! I hope I'll prove worthy of it.And for the judges and my fans I would just say that I look forward to this and that I hope for a fair and fun contest!

Talent

I am a good knitter! I have knitted a scarf with cables as my first big project, which I am quite proud of. I made quite an effort to keep the width and knitting even and this winter I will be wearing this scarf a lot.

Work in progress:

Finished:

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Name: Shiloh Adlar
Any Positions: Prefect, Student Teacher, Class Assistant, Quidditch Referee, Quidditch Co-Captain

Why did you join HOL? I joined HOL because I was going through a rough time in my life, and Harry Potter held very good memories for me. It helped pick me back up after a specific event. When I found HOL, I realized that I wanted to dive into the Harry Potter world more and hopefully meet others who would accept me because of our mutual love for this universe.

What is your definition of a role model? My definition of a role model is someone who stands up and fights for what they believe in. It is someone that I can look up to that inspires me to live up to my full potential. A role model is someone who treats others with respect, kindness, and love and radiates light wherever they go. They are not perfect and make mistakes, but they strive to be the best person that they can be without the need for perfection or being fake.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? I think my biggest challenge has always been socializing with others. I was bullied throughout my years of school and never thought anyone could like me. When I started making friends on HOL, I began to question if the friendship was real or if they only felt sorry for me or were pretending to be my friend because they had to for whatever reason. When people told me that if I ever needed anything to come to them, I didn't want to because "they're just saying that because they have to." Over time, I had to realize that these people were not just saying things. They really did mean it and care about me, and I had to learn to accept something that was unusual for me to understand. Since then, I have made even more friends and have begun reaching out to others that I want to get to know and even new HOLers. It's made HOL a second home.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? My interest in Harry Potter started with my brother. He would read the books to me when I was still just a baby, and as I grew older, we watched the movies together, dressed up for special events together, and pretended together. Harry Potter reminds me of him because we shared it, and my first vivid memories of my brother are of him reading the books to me. I joined HOL almost a year after the accident, and what keeps me coming back is his memory but also that of all the friends I have made on here. If it wasn't for my brother, I never would have met so many wonderful and beautiful people. It is another home and a place that is often stress reducing. I don't know what life would be like without it.

I think character is the most important because while a person can be extremely confident, be majorly talented or even have a nice personality, without a good character, none of the other things amount to much in the grand scheme. People can often tell when someone is honest and trustworthy or not. One can have a fun personality but lack compassion for others. One could be ambitious but not responsible. A person's character is what makes them and all of these other things can strengthen them as a person, but their character is their building block.

I think my hardest category will probably be confidence. It is something I have been working on this past year to increase, but it does take time. I find it easier to believe in other people than I do in myself, but as long as I continue working towards it, I know I'll get there eventually.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? I do agree it should be a gender neutral contest. There are different reasons for this. One reason is that some people do not identify with a particular gender at all while others may identify better with both. I also think that while men and women are not physically created equal, the way we present ourselves to others should all be judged exactly the same. A woman should not be judged as weaker than a man specifically because our bodies are not designed like theirs or we have a tendency to be more emotional than men. I don't think men should be called crybabies or weak because they show more emotion than what society says they should show. Why is ballet a "woman's" thing and why is football a "man's" thing? The fact is that we are all human beings learning to live on this world together. We all have character and personality traits. We all have hopes and dreams. We all struggle. I believe this is what this contest is meant to show. We all have our own individual thing going on, but we should not be judged on what we choose to do or act like based on what gender we were born or identify with.

I am grateful for this opportunity to be able to share myself with the rest of the HOL community as well as getting to know others in the community who will be participating in this competition with me. It's not the competition aspect that excites me, no matter how competitive I may be when it comes to quidditch, it's the fact that we have many amazing people on HOL, and this contest will hopefully be able to help bring them out in the open to let their natural abilities and personalities shine

Talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nZP_uJB-n0&feature=youtu.be

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Name: Prof. Zoki Phantom
Year: Ancient
Any Positions: Professor, Headmaster, Chat OPs Committee

Why did you join HOL? Because I was in love with Harry Potter and wanted to find a like-minded community to share that passion with. To some degree I may have simply been bored and looking for Harry Potter-related entertainment, but I'm happy I stumbled upon HOL.

What is your definition of a role model? I've always considered a role model someone who you would want your kids to grow up and be like. A strong character, hard-working, passionate, but caring and kind. Someone who can stand up by themselves, but also willing to stand up for those in need.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? 've been at HOL for a while so I feel I have gone through all sorts of things. I've had too many things on my plate, I've had to figure out how to balance my workload, I've been in the middle or arguments, I've lost friends, I've felt too distant and distracted and as if I'm drifting apart from the community. But I believe it's sufficient to take a step back and look at HOL from a different perspective to realize any challenges you may be facing will soon be over, but the positive thoughts will always be there.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? The feelings I have toward the story. The same connection that I think is what keeps us all connected together.

It's tough to say as they're all important in their own way. But if I had to choose one I would go for Personality - I think it's the one trait that either makes or breaks a role model. It's what defines you as a being, everything else is just the cherry on top (and a cherry doesn't make much difference if the rest of the dessert isn't good).

Which category will be the hardest for you? I'm conflicted between Talent and Confidence. I don't see or believe in a talent in me, but I guess that says more about my Confidence so let's go with Confidence.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, I believe in equality and I believe everyone has the same potential to rise to the occasion. Gender by itself does not change our characteristics, and those are the things that shine in this contest.

Fans? I don't imagine those are edibles? I hope at least someone remembers to bring edibles.

Talent

Photo I took:

Edits:

Final Submission with haiku story/poem written by me:

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Name: Amanda P.X. Sim
Year: Fourth Year
Any Positions: -
HOL House: Gryffindor

Why did you join HOL? It was during high school that my best friend and I were crazy over Harry Potter, and having learnt how to use the Internet, she found a forum that took on the virtual Hogwarts concept, and persuaded me to join in. I however, felt the possibility that there could be a better platform than that, and began my own search, which led me to stumbling upon HOL. Hence we both joined HOL and fell in love with everything about it. I especially love the classes and activities, and try my best to join in whatever I can.

What is your definition of a role model? To be honest, I believe that there is a role model in everyone, for everyone has something that others can look up to and learn from. A role model to me would be someone who is passionate in doing the good things that they do as a contribution to society, and have the perseverence to keep going even when in the face of obstacles and challenges. Of course, any person who works hard enough can achieve something, which is why those I regard as role models to myself are distinguishable by their values, attitudes, and behaviours, such as being confident but not arrogant, and being kind to others.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Till today, the biggest challenge for me is juggling real life stuff and HOL activities. As much as I love being active on HOL, sometimes there are so many other things happening in the physical world around me that I have to attend to, and I particularly admire other HOLers who can be so active in making sure things are running smoothly and keeping the community alive. Also I still haven't figured out HOL quidditch. I promise I will someday.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? All I can say is, the wizarding world is not a temporary thing? Harry Potter may be temporary, Harry Potter as a character or a even a living human being may live and die, and form a legacy in history, but if I can speak for all the other Potterheads out there, the wizarding world lives on, in our hearts. Rowling has created an entire universe that we can live in or escape to with just seven main books, and her creation of this magical world is still expanding from day to day. Harry Potter and the wizarding world may be a work of fiction, but honestly, I don't think it's so much of fiction than reality to a big community of Potterheads that exist. We all want to learn magic, we all want to study in Hogwarts, and we all want to mingle with magical people. I suppose HOL and similar platforms are what gives us life to stay magical in a realistic world.

I think character would be the most important aspect because character comprises of moral qualities and integrity of an individual, and having a good character is something that I prioritise.

Community Service would probably be the hardest for me since I am not in charge of any community-building activities in HOL right now.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, I agree that Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements, because honestly, I don't know what are different requirements are there to be judged on when physical appearance doesn't really play a part in this contest. Even if it does, gender-neutral is a good idea too, because why should there be stereotypes?

Well, this would be a good opportunity to introduce my pets - I actually only have one left, sadly, the others ran in peace. Meet Aiko Hoshimi, my Northern Saw-whet Owl who can carry packages larger than herself and enjoys belly rubs. Did I mention I also love fluffy animals?

Talent
Made this painting as a gift, and though I don't have any work in progress shots, you can see my messy art supplies right there. Hope that's alright!

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Name: Katelin Ross
Year: 7th
Any Positions: Mini Prefect, Spiffy

Why did you join HOL? I joined HOL back in 2006, because there weren’t a lot of people who I knew that were as into Harry Potter as I was. I also thought that there had to be something available to fans like me who could meet others with similar likes and dislikes. When I found HOL, I thought that it would be a perfect place for me! It had classes you could take, places to talk with others, and it was like going to a real life Hogwarts! When I first found HOL, I could only view what was available for everyone to see, as I found it in the middle of the year. A year went by, and I found HOL again. Finally, I could sign up and become a member of Hogwarts. Eleven years later, I am still here and still loving every minute of it.

What is your definition of a role model?My definition of a role model is someone who does the right thing no matter who is around, someone who is successful in life, and someone who is kind on the inside and out. In order to answer this question, I first thought of someone who is a role model to me, then I thought of the qualities that they show to the world. We live in a world where the term, “role model,” can be construed in a negative way. With everything happening in the world today, we need to go back to the basics when determining a role model, and a role model should never be described in the way they look. So, a role model is someone whose personality is kind on the inside and out, is someone that can be looked up to (which does not include the way they look), and someone who does what is right no matter who is around.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? I have not had to overcome many challenges while in HOL. What you see is who I am. Meaning, I have not changed my personality just because I am online in HOL. I do not let anyone change who I am, and if I come across someone who is like that, I do not interact with them. Yes, my life outside of HOL has made it difficult at times to be as involved with Hogwarts as I have wanted it to be, but I believe I have balanced that never ending struggle of real life versus online life that has been a struggle for many (myself included).

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I cannot believe twenty years has passed since the first book was published. I continue to find Hogwarts and Harry Potter still interesting for many reasons. First, Harry Potter and its various other subjects has not disappeared off the face of the planet. There are continuous releases of new material (i.e., illustrated versions of the books), new websites (Pottermore and its new additions), and new movies/books (i.e., Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them). Second, I am involved in various Harry Potter activities that keep me up to date with the Harry Potter universe. HOL itself has lots of different activities from year to year, month to month, and day to day that keep you in the universe in a variety of different ways. Lastly, when I reread the Harry Potter books, I learn new facts each time. Yes, I have read the books over several times, but each time I read it, I learn something new. This continues to keep me interested in the novels and in the Harry Potter universe itself.

I think the most important category that I will be judged on is character. My character defines who I am. It is what makes me the person I am. My character is unique only to me, there is no other person out there who is one hundred percent me. Your character can, and do, include all of the characteristics listed under categories. They are all part of who you are, Your character is the most important characteristic of all.

I would like to think that none of the categories will be hard for me if you look at the true definition of these categories, but I know that this will not be true. I think the hardest category for me will be talent. I do not have talent like some others might define the term talent, but talent to me is doing what you love to do. One does not have to be amazing or excellent to have talent, but they do need to have the love of doing something to have that as a talent.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, I do believe Mx HOL should be gender neutral. I believe everyone should be judged equally. We no longer live in a world that is segregated based on gender, gender preference, spirituality, or color of one’s skin. HOL should not do this either. Judge us all equally, that way we know that we earned our awards based on talent/character and not on whether we are male or female.

Good luck everyone! Remember this is not about who has the best talent or the best looks, but it is about having fun and showing others that you are enjoying yourself!

Talent

https://clyp.it/miftxtsi?token=2a2b6aa2d1a84c864fab3b944dfec75c

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Name: Prof. Zenix James
Year: Ancient Professor
Any Positions: Gryffindor Paw Print Editor, Gryffindor Quidditch Team Player, Professor of When Muggles and Magic Collide

Why did you join HOL? - I have been obsessed with Harry Potter since the age of 12 and a friend of mine introduced me to this site when I was, I believe, 14 years old. I fell in love with the site, the activities, the people and the ability to be the giant nerd that I truly am. I actually did a headcount the other day of all of the amazing HOLers I have met in person and it is an astounding 12 people. I loved meeting every one of them. I even taught Tarma how to toss a log. Yes, it was as weird as it sounds.

What is your definition of a role model? My definition of a role model is someone who has strong morals and integrity. They are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in even though it might cost them to lose something or someone they care about. Strength of character and simply being who they are without trepidation. Someone who is kind and accepting of all others. Those are the things that truly define a role model for me.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? Honestly, my time on HOL has been some of the best years and moments of my life. I’ve never really considered anything to be a true challenge because it was a new experience I could learn from. However, auditioning and putting myself out there for HOL Idol was definitely a challenge because I have never truly sung for anyone on that large a scale and that took some serious courage on my part.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? Harry Potter has and will always be ingrained into my soul. I fell quite sick when I was 15 years old and was hospitalized for a year. Harry Potter was my only escape from that whole traumatic ordeal. Simply being able to escape into such a fantastical world was a gift I can never repay.

Confidence, hands down. Many people tend to underestimate what even a little confidence can do for a person. When you are confident with yourself and your abilities it has the possibility to transform you into a completely different person.

Confidence is the hardest category for me. I’ve never had the highest self-esteem and that plays a big part in my confidence level, but those two concepts are two things I have been working on.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Absolutely. I am so very proud that this was made gender neutral. Acceptance and acknowledgement of people’s personal preferences, especially when it comes to who they are and who they love should never be ignored.

I am super excited to see how this is going to play out and learning more about my fellow HOLers.

Talent
Hello by Evanescence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F757XT4lt2E

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Name: Alexander Brighton
Year: Second
Any Positions: Student, Ravenclaw Quidditch player, Class Assistant

Why did you join HOL? I love Harry Potter and always wished Hogwarts could be real so I could learn how to defend myself against the dark arts. So as soon as I learned about a online Hogwarts school, I wanted to sign up right away. It is the best school I’ve ever been to.

What is your definition of a role model? To me, a role model is someone you can look up to or someone you want to be like, like a dad, mom, brother, sister, friend, or even a superhero.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? I didn’t really overcome many challenges yet. The only one I can think of is communicating. In real life, I find it hard to communicate at times. Things are a lot easier on here.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I grew up with Harry Potter and never lost my interest even for a minute. HOL works like a real school and that’s really cool. The HOL classes and the activities are the best and everyone makes things more fun on here as well.

Hard question. I think confidence is important because if you don’t have confidence then that will affect other things like your presentation and talent.

There are a few categories that won’t be very easy, but I think Creativity will be hard, especially if you’re doing something other than art. Presentation might be difficult too depending on the talent.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, I do agree that it should be gender neutral and contestants should be judged on the same requirements, just because it shouldn’t matter if it’s a boy or a girl, it isn’t fair if they’re judged differently with different requirements. Say if boys (or girls) had lower requirements than the other then the boys (or girls) might feel less important, like the other gender is better and it shouldn’t be that way.

This is the first actual HOL wide activity that I’m in. My talent is playing the piano and singing (taking piano lessons and found out that singing while playing the piano was a talent.) I enjoy doing both. I know my voice isn't mature, but hope you all like it. The song didn’t have an intro, so I added one (my one creative ability haha).

Talent

http://www.videosprout.com/video?id=b73ac0ea-f582-414a-bc9c-06565e348e4f

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Name: Kendra Givens
Year: 2
Any Positions: Ravenclaw Reserve Prefect, RQT Member

Why did you join HOL? My journey to HOL began as I had just rediscovered my Harry Potter books after going through boxes of belongings I had never unpacked after moving. I was hoping to find a community where I could connect with people who shared my love of Harry Potter over more than just forums and take real time classes. After browsing several other websites, I knew I was home here.

What is your definition of a role model? A role model is someone who provides an example that guides others’ actions and attitude. This person guides others through his or her actions without necessarily knowing that he or she is doing so.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? The challenge I have had to learn to work with regarding HOL is how to balance my responsibilities here with my roles and responsibilities in real life. I am constantly in awe of the dedication that people have to our online community and try to make sure I’m staying as involved and active as possible while still holding real life as my top priority.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? The Harry Potter was an integral part of my childhood and I have always been a diehard Ravenclaw, so I love spreading Ravenclaw spirit anywhere I go. Being a lover of all things academia, I have always wondered what it would be like to take classes like the ones taught at Hogwarts, and here I have the opportunity to do so with others who share my interests.

I think character is the most important, because people will always remember you for the nature of your inner being and how your energy affected their lives regardless of how confident, talented, creative, or stylish you were. Who you are at your core always matters the most.

The hardest category for me will probably be talent. As I sit here contemplating what talent I have to share, I honestly have no idea. I’m pretty self critical and I don’t like to talk about myself, so identifying my talents is difficult.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Mx HOL should absolutely be gender-neutral and hold the same requirements for everyone. I think the best part of this community is that people can come here and be whoever they choose to be, and this competition is designed in a way that respects that through the neutrality and equality involved in the planning of it.

I have none that I can think of right now.

Talent
I play flute in the community band. This is one of our pieces from last Spring.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5U7Ds2zVPXXNWUwQjRCMFRHRUk

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 am

Name: Prof. Dario Brighton
Year: Not Applicable
Any Positions: Professor, Deputy Head of House, Keeper of Grounds and Member of the Head Office

Why did you join HOL? Being a steadfast fanatic of the Harry Potter universe, I have found it my mission to explore every single thing related to it. That is how I came across Hogwarts Online. The reason I joined was mere curiosity, but the reason I stayed was the people.

What is your definition of a role model? A role model should not be an objective we aim to mirror, but rather an inspiration which enables us to grow independently. I believe that everyone should strive to do as well as they are capable without setting someone else's achievements as their personal goals. So in my opinion, a role model is someone who is inspirational and encouraging.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? My journey here at Hogwarts has been quite a roller coaster. After so many adventures it comes as quite difficult to single out a single challenge. One simply starts looking back upon everything with a smile.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? In my opinion, the beauty of the Harry Potter books is that they were not designed to focus merely on the story line. The story of Harry Potter could have been told in a non-magical setting with few little-significant tweaks to the plot. It is the world behind that plot that continues to breathe, evolve and seek to be discovered further. Rowling has created a self-sufficient universe that serves as an inexhaustible haven for the reader.

I am not sure if I am able to select a single, most dominant category. They are designed to work with and complement each other. But I can tell you that I will aim to deliver some style.

The presentation option seems like the one for which I will have to put in extra effort. Merely because I tend to provide succinct correspondence, which might give the impression of little elaboration. At the same time, it could work as a positive factor in defining my style and character.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Assuming the gender-neutrality of the contest wasn't a result of HOL's gender imbalance, but rather a brave step towards the modern day trends of equality and individuality, I most certainly agree with the notion and support all forward-thinking concepts.

I do not care for the Oxford comma.

Talent

I have decided to play piano for you. Since I moved away and now I no longer have a piano in my home, it took a while to send in everything because I had to book a time at one of the piano halls to perform the recording.

This is the Fugue from Prelude and Fugue No. 2 of The Well-Tempered Clavier, First Series by J. S. Bach.
(Off the record: Quite the title, eh?)

Audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sT_PgAwNUhoYaZZLu-F8Mvr8KuGhWn7U/view?usp=sharing

Bach is my all-time favourite composer and the father of classical* music as we know it today. Fugues are my favourite musical form because of the richness in harmony and the simplicity in melody, which is very characteristic for the Baroque era.

*(The term classical was used in the broad sense.)

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 am

Name: Shadow Gaunt
Year: 1
Any Positions: Student

Why did you join HOL? I wanted to find a group of people who loved Harry Potter as much as I did. I found a few sites, but after a year on all of them, I chose HOL

What is your definition of a role model? Somebody who follows the rules, yet doesn't overdo it. Somebody who is like a mini professor, yet not too overbearing. Somebody who is confident, kind, and supportive of others, yet stands out in the crowd.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? A challenge I had to overcome last year at HOL was managing my time in RL and HOL. The result of that was me failing to go to Year 2.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? I honestly think it's because I only learned about Harry Potter and really became involved three years ago at the start of high school

Character because that is pretty much the embodiment of a person, how a person acts and what they say may change someone's life. So to know how it will change it is very important.

I think my hardest category will be style. I'm not a very stylish person, and my friends often comment on my lack of good design.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? I believe this should be a gender neutral contest not only because some people don't want to disclose their gender but also because the categories have nothing to do with physical attributes and that is the only difference between

No, if there are any questions I'll be glad to answer.

Talent

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 am

Name: Ravariel Aiwince
Year: Third Year
Any Positions: I am a plain and simple student, though I do assist two classes taught by Professor Amy Lupin.

Why did you join HOL? There were mainly three things that drew me here to begin with. The first was simply that some of my friends had joined a little while before me, who then told me about HOL. As we were all in quite the Harry Potter mood at the time, I was most eager to have a look for myself. What intrigued me then and moved me to join was the sheer variety of classes offered – and besides that, I really liked the idea of being sorted into one of the four houses.

What is your definition of a role model? A role model, to me, is anyone in a position where others are likely to look up to them and strive to be like them. That might be parents or teachers for example, celebrities, older friends or siblings, but also, to some extent, certain characters in books and films. I therefore find it very important that those in such a position, or those creating characters likely to be emulated by readers or viewers, are mindful of the influence they have. They should, in my opinion, aspire to represent values worth teaching, values such as kindness and confidence, reason and tolerance, or honesty and tact.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? The biggest challenge that I faced was probably no more than my own perfectionism. When I first joined HOL, I had little time that I could devote to it and ended up having to drop several classes halfway through. Looking at those failures on my profile, and knowing that I would not be satisfied with handing in any less than each assignment and extra credit for a class in full, brought me to not take any classes at all for several years. By now I have learned to manage my time a little better, as well as to pick fewer classes and choose them more carefully according to what I am likely to manage, and have finally become a happily active badger.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? To a great extent, this is simply the fact that I enjoy the story – I have only recently reread all seven books. By now, there is undoubtedly a solid touch of nostalgia involved as well, since the Harry Potter books and films were a huge part of my childhood. What keeps my interest active rather than slumbering, however, is actually HOL itself, by being full of life even after all these years and still constantly bringing up new ideas and activities.

I would judge character to be the most important. The other categories may be praiseworthy aspects of a person, but amount to little if the person in question is, for instance, ill-meaning or ill-mannered towards others. Being a truly outstanding member of any community takes good character.

I expect that to be confidence, especially if it refers to confidence in yourself rather than others. Between a high amount of self-criticism and a somewhat shy nature, I generally have a hard time being confident.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Yes, absolutely. In fact, the contest might not have interested me nearly as much, had it been parted by gender. There is no reason to me whatsoever to hold contestants to different standards, save for outdated notions that are well gotten rid of. Generally, I hold the view that gender-neutrality should be far more often strived for than it is, and that people’s personality, wishes and skills should stand in the foreground rather than their gender.

Nothing other than that I am very much looking forward to this contest, and that – since I have not participated in anything like it before – I am very curious to see how it will unfold. It does promise to be a lot of fun.

Talent

The talent I would like to show off is creating clothes for costumes. I am a very passionate Live Action Role Player and make most of my costumes myself, with roughly equal amounts of swearing and enjoyment.

What you can see on these pictures is a shirt I made for one of my characters, a Lord of the Rings-inspired elven warrior (not ironed, unfortunately). Sadly, I’m a little short of in-progress pictures, but I do have pictures of my design sketches for the shirt and the design of the embroidery, which you can see here:

And this is what putting on the embroidery looked like: Image

This was done before the shirt was put together, so there wouldn’t be so much fabric in the way. The white stuff that covers most of the actual fabric, except for a thin line at the bottom, is so-called solufleece. You can draw your embroidery patterns onto it, stitch it onto the fabric you want embroidered with a few long stitches, and after finishing your work simply dissolve it in water. It makes embroidering wonderfully easy, although the actual needlework still requires a great deal of patience.

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 am

Name: Hannah R Thomas
Year: 5th Year
Any Positions: Prefect

Why did you join HOL? I joined HOL because it looked like an almost exact replica of Hogwarts, but online. All the more reason for that I wanted to join. Hogwarts always has felt like my home and thus, I wanted to give this a try. I am satisfied with what I have encountered and the many people I am proud to call friends.

What is your definition of a role model? To me, a role model is someone who teach others what is right and what is wrong. On HOL, a role model is someone approachable, shows respect, and has branched out to students of other houses, (Slytherin included!) other than just those of their own house. This role model may have RL duties, but they also stay dedicated to HOL and take their responsibilities seriously.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? As of right now, I am overcoming my challenge in balancing my new Prefect duties and taking on my new RL as a Graduate student. Balancing this new RL of mine, I try to stay as active as much as I can, in any location on HOL that I can.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? This is a personal question so I will keep it simple: Harry Potter has basically saved me from the struggles I was dealing with life as I grew up. When I was told that I couldn't do anything, regards to studies, I looked up to Hermione Granger as a role model regarding how hard she works whe it comes to her studies. As I grew older, I've recognized Luna Lovegood as another example to look up to. She is weird, but has a kind heart that just makes you want to fall in love with her. Looking up to these characters is what keeps me involved in Harry Potter and really, I feel like I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't true.

Of the categories listed, I would say the most important is character, personality, and creativity.

Confidence is definitely going to be the hardest. Mainly because I have stage fright.

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? I agree that the contest should be gender neutral.

Talent
I hope this is okay, creating graphics:

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 am

Name: Ellie Warhol
Any Positions: N/A

Why did you join HOL? I was (am still am) obsessed with Harry Potter and loved the idea of such an immersive experience relating to the fandom. HOL gave me the opportunity pursue an immersive experience while simultaneously giving me the opportunity to learn a fascinating range of topics.

What is your definition of a role model? I see a role model as somebody who you can not only look to for guidance but is also somebody who motivates you to do your best.

What challenges, if any, have you had to overcome in your time at HOL? When I first started at HOL I was able to dedicate a lot of time to the site and remained extremely active for several years. However, as I continued to pursue my education outside of HOL I struggled to find a balance between the two. This year I think I have finally found that balance and am happy to say that I have been able to keep to both my RL and HOL commitments.

With twenty years passing since the first book was published, what keeps you interested in Harry Potter and participating in activities like HOL? While the story is timeless, it is the community of Harry Potter fans that has kept me so engaged with the books.

I think creativity is the most important of the categories. Creativity speaks to an individual's imagination and ingenuity, both of which are traits vital to the Harry Potter world.

Style (I have always focused my energy on other pursuits, leaving little time for style).

Do you agree Mx HOL should be a gender-neutral contest and that contestants should be judged on the same requirements? Why or why not? Absolutely. In today's society it is important for HOL and other fandom communities to use categories and language that is welcoming and accessible for all members of the community.

I would just like to thank everybody who made this competition possible and for tanking the time to consider me.

Talent

My talent is the muggle activity of cross-stitching. I specialize in making photo-realism style cross-stitches of subjects traditionally associated with the muggle subjects of biology and neuroscience.

Here is a link to a cross-stitch I made of the Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly).

In progress:

Return to “Mx HOL”