Week 1 - Creating a Theme

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Week 1 - Creating a Theme

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am

It's so exciting! Hogsmeade is having a literary festival -- but there is a lot to do to get ready for it. The mayor is requesting for volunteers (that includes you!) to help. One of the first things he wants is for people to come up with a theme for the The Hogsmeade Literary Festival. Along with the theme, he wants a motivation for the theme ... so put on your thinking hat! Remember, whatever theme is chosen will be used to guide the next decisions as to which authors are being invited to speak and also give an idea of what other activities to schedule.

Please send your theme and motivation to us at hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces) with the subject line ‘Week 1-Theme - HOL ID’ by November 5th, 11:59pm HOL time. Your theme and motivation for the theme earn 10 points. Please be sure that your suggestions are at least 150 words long for full points.

Remember to include your HOL name, ID and House in the body of the email! Note: We'll be posting your submission in the HOL Forum after the due date unless you tell us otherwise in your submission.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Re: Week 1 - Creating a Theme

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 am

Submissions have been received from:

Gail Allen
Maxim Trevelyan
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Shiloh Adlar
Sirius Fudge
Vanessa Tilley

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 am

Gail Allen submitted:

The theme of this year's Literary festival will be Fantasy

It might seem an odd choice, since a lot of muggle fantasy deals with the things we know to be true phenomena, such as magic, centaurs, phoenixes, and other magical creatures, and magical objects over all. But that does not make these tales any less interesting. It is so much fun seeing where these stories tap into something true and where they veer off, and there are certainly many fantasy authors who write fantasy tales that are nothing like our world. We tend to call these 'high fantasy' to distinguish them from stories that take place in settings similar enough to ours that we are certain the muggles writing them are in some way inspired by the existance of our world. These high fantasy stories are tales like the ones produced by a great author called Tolkien who wrote Lord of the Rings.
It will be an interesting theme for the festival because it is a genre often overlooked by witches and wizards because of the similarities to our own world, but I would argue that this is a shame as much can be learned from how muggles percieve us. It might also surprise many that some of these fantasy authors are in fact witches and wizards who choose to tweak the realities of our world, but keep the magical aspect. Overlooking a great genre like this is a shame and therefore that will be our theme this year.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 am

Maxim Trevelyan submitted:

The theme for the Hogsmeade Literary Festival is From Sorcerer to Superhero – Magic in Muggle Culture. Muggles have never been ignorant of magic, not really. They do not know the true scope of it, or that real witches and wizards exist, but they always knew that there is something out there, something they cannot quite explain. From the start of civilization to modern times, the Muggle outlook on magic has evolved and was also diligently passed from generation to generation. In later times, stereotypical witch's hat and broomstick was exchanged for telepathy and laser vision. They started to call magic 'superpower' and this is what is currently popular in Muggle culture.

Why Muggles and why should we care about their thoughts on magic? They are becoming more and more advanced, while the Wizarding World is left in the past. They have amazing technology that will, sooner or later, start discovering our world, little by little. If we do not advance with them, or try to understand them even a little bit, we are in danger of losing our very own culture to them. We can peacefully coexist, and maybe the Wizarding World can only benefit from our association with Muggles. However, good relations will not be possible without understanding and the festival is a perfect place for wizards and witches to start comprehending what Muggles are all about with the help of a common link; magic.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 am

Prof. Gustavo Flores submitted:

After thinking for a couple of days, I decided that my theme for Hogsmeade Literary Festival is going to be CHILDREN! Sounds easy but it can be tricky! Children can be a difficult audience!

My motivation for my theme is, first of all, that I love working with children and teenagers, still, I always find it a little bit easier to work with children because I believe I still have the heart of a kid, so I get along with them fairly easy, I am empathetic and I understand them easily. I also like many things that kids like, and I always feel happy to watch a children movie or program.

My second motivation is that I am certain that in order to have smart adults, with disposition to work and always willing to do their best, we need to have children that like to read. In my experience as a teacher, most teenagers that excel in their classes and that deliver high quality works every time are the ones who like to read, so that is why I want my theme to focus on children and provide a motivation and inspiration for them to read since a young age, because I believe it is vital to have a better society.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:05 am

Prof. Rorey Padfoot submitted:

The Hogsmeade Literary Festival Theme

Truly the only theme I have in my head and have had in my head for the past week for the festival is Renaissance. I think it’s because when I hear the word festival I think of a Renaissance Festival. The theme could easily work out for this though as its multiple days, activities can span a variety of things and genres.

The books in the festival (at least from my list) were written by authors from all different years and their themes can easily be presented into a Renaissance theme. For example, I was given The Monster Book of Monsters, an activity could be something like learning how to take care of Ministry classified beast of X to XXX. It can be both a spectator’s hands-on class or a lecture and discussion activity. There could be many crafts that will work well with subjects of the wizarding books also.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:08 am

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis submitted:

Since this is the first Hogsmeade Literary Festival, I propose a theme that ties in with the foundations of fiction: Literary Elements. While literary elements are associated with narrative fiction, there are several elements that are fundamental to writing in general. Every book is classified into a genre, sometimes more than one. Each author has his or her unique writing style with an individualized pace and tone. Even non-fiction books and biographies are written in a specific point of view. Hogsmeade is the perfect setting for an inaugural literary festival, providing participants with plenty of opportunities to mingle and plot. It is a village that has seen a ton of history and action over the years. There will be an interesting collection of characters and a chance to join others in dialogue, possibly in different languages. With so much going on, it may be good to throw in reminders of the basics of writing. Hopefully the theme of Literary Elements will aid in setting the right mood for the Hogsmeade Literary Festival!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 am

Shiloh Adlar submitted:

Theme: Strong Women in Literature

Motivation: I chose this theme because there are so many books out there that depict strong, young men, or have men rescuing women from situations. There needs to be more books about strong, young girls and women who fight for what they believe in and save themselves in the end. For the books that are currently out there that fit this theme, it would be wonderful to have a festival celebrating them and bringing them to the attention of others. Girls need to be aware of the authors who write books that show them that they can do whatever they want if they set their minds and hearts to it. If they believe in themselves, the world can be open to them.

I think this is also a good thing for boys. Boys often grow up learning that the difference between them and girls is that they are meant to be strong while a girl is not. They are taught superiority to girls, not directly, but how society portrays girls and women in the media. If boys read books about how a girl defeats a dragon or how a girl saves her nation or makes changes in policy, they will grow up realizing that girls can be a force to be reckoned with and can be engineers, pilots, businesswomen and lawyers just like the boys and that they are not less than them just because they are what society calls the "weaker gender."
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:10 am

Sirius Fudge submitted:

The theme for this year's Hogsmeade Literary Festival is the interconnection of magic around the world. This can be observed through the books written by different famous writers and publishers around the world. From the different schools, Muggle cultures and wizarding as well, lots of books can be explored in this topic. In addition, it adds to the harmony and cooperation of many cultures and governments so that the identity as witches and wizards in this ever-connecting world is strengthened.

The festival can feature books and stands grouped per continent, or per cultural cluster, if not per country. The festival could also not focus on just books but also on cultural performances every stand, or every night, as well as cultural meals wherein a treat could be served in every stand. There could also be panel discussions regarding certain cultural differences such as the utilizatioon of flying carpets in the East Asia as compared to brooms. Book exchange could also be done, specifically cross cultural exchange of books.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 am

Vanessa Tilley submitted:

I believe the theme for Hogsmeade Literary Festival should be Books: the Windows into Knowledge, Adventure, Fantasy and Relaxation.

One of my motivations for this theme is that I want to appeal to the masses and not just one specific group of individuals. We know there are a TON of book worms out there but there are but there are so many other people out there that don't love to read or even pick up books. I hope that this theme will hit on the major themes that would get someone excited about reading. I believe people who don't enjoy books just haven't discovered that perfect book that appeals to them and get them excited about reading.

Another one of my motivations is to show others just what books can be. Books don't have to be boring! Sure, we have school books to help us gain knowledge but there are so many other types of books out there that I don't think people realize. There is something for every one. No matter what interests you, strange, normal or something completely off the wall, there is a special book at there just for you.

Finally, my last motivation is also to show just how books help enrich our lives and what they actually do for us on a daily basis. One of the most incredible things about books is that they do provide knowledge and wisdom to those who choose to read them even if they are not specifically about learning such as text books. No matter the type of book, you will learn useful skills such as vocabulary, problem solving skills, and even improvements our memories. Books are also a wonderful way to relax by providing one with a great escape from the problems and worries of the world. When you read a book, you become lost in the words and are, briefly, transported to another world where you can forget your problems.

Return to “Hogsmeade Literary Festival”