Week 2: Ghostly Conversations N

Moderators: Prof. Rorey Padfoot, Sirius Fudge, Shiloh Adlar

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

Week 2: Ghostly Conversations N

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Area N

Background:

Welcome again everyone to Sir Nick’s 525th Deathday Party! As you can see, we have split you all up into different groups to get to know one another better. After all, we have come from different areas of the castle and the world, and what sort of party would we have if we stayed strangers? If you still have not found your place on the party floor, post HERE. Come, come! It is not as hard as it looks to begin a ghostly conversation. In fact, it may even be fun while we prepare for the games ahead.

Activity Description:

Feel free to start a conversation about your lives as ghosts, your favorite activities or maybe even the food you used to like while still alive. Discuss your deaths if you wish, we all love stories of glorious battles or tales of poison. Perhaps you all have similar memories. Feel free to discuss what you like, but remember, school rules still apply! Let’s not get graphic here. We still have a rotten feast to partake. This is a role play activity! Post as your characters and have fun with it!

Submission and Point Details:

Each post will be worth 5 House Points up to a maximum of 15 House Points for this activity. Please be sure to write more than just 2-3 sentences. We’re looking for around 75 words per post minimum. The goal is to keep the conversation in your group going, so you may only post again after two other people in your group have posted. If the conversation needs a little icebreaker, don’t worry. Sir Shiro’s Ghostly Services will be here to help!

You have until 14 October @ 11:59 PM HOL to earn the maximum of 15 House Points for this activity. After that deadline, one-half (½) of the points will be given.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Re: Week 2: Ghostly Conversations N

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 pm

'Melia spied the other dancers and delightedly joined with them. She pretended she was part of a line for the gavotte; and curtsied and twirled and spun in time with the music played in her head. (She didn't care much for the screeching of the saws.)

When that particular piece of 'music' had ended, she turned delightedly to the person next to her (who hadn't been dancing the gavotte but had been dancing and that is what counts) and exclaimed "Oh, that was fun! I am 'Melia, who are you? I'm here with my cousin, we are from France. Do you live here?"
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:23 pm

"Hello 'Melia. It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Lavinia and I live in the library of Hogwarts. How are you enjoying the party so far?" asked Lavinia.

"I am very pleased with the food especially the maggot haggis. Haggis was on of my favorite snacks when I was alive. I will admit though that I am not the biggest fan of the musical saws. I never liked the sound of metal screeching. It hurts my ears. I prefer the piano, violin, or cello myself. What instruments do you like?" asked Lavinia.

Gail Allen
No broom

Postby Gail Allen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 am

Maria floated over to where Lavinia and another ghost were talking. She and Lavinia spent a lot of time in each other's company since they both liked to haunt the library.
She had enjoyed the dance immensely and her cheeks were as flushed as any ghost's cheeks ever were.

"What are you talking about?" she asked and looked at the ghost she did not know. "My name is Maria. What's your name? I don't believe I've seen you before. I was just about to go look what food is being served. I haven't taken a break from dancing long enough yet, but I hear Nick has made something quite special."
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Polaris Black
Silver Arrow

Postby Polaris Black » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 am

Lady Anne was standing right next to Lavinia and she simply had to answer the question. Music had been such an important part of her life; it was essential to be able to play musical instruments and perform the latest dances at court.

“I am Lady Anne and I could not help but overhear your conversation,” she interrupted. “There was always a new instrument being introduced when I was alive so it is really hard to choose a favorite. But I was taught to play the lute, which was the most fashionable musical instrument of the time. And I even had a song written especially for me.”

Lady Anne was suddenly overwhelmed with an impulse to dance. “Excuse me, would you like to join us for the gavotte?” she asked the next person to float by.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 am

'Melia was enchanted with the new ghosts showing up. She tried to answer the one who asked about music instruments, but she could understand English better than she could speak it, and by the time she had words, another ghost drifted over so she answered both at the same time.

"I'm new here and hi Lavinia and Maria! I'm 'Melia and from France and I love violins. These whatever make a horrible noise!" she said, clasping her hands to her ears. "I also love the drums ..." She looked sad for a moment, though, at Maria's question. "Of the foods, I miss greatly the pastries. I hope they have some here?"

Then yet another ghost came over and 'Melia brightened up. "Yes! The lute! You play that?" "Melia didn't play any instruments when she was alive, except for a harpsichord, but didn't think that as great as the violin or lute. "Maybe you will sing for us the song written about you, Lady Anne?"
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Gail Allen
No broom

Postby Gail Allen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 am

"Oh yes! A song!" Maria exclaimed. "Did you know Nick sometimes recite a poem about how he died? He doesn't do it every year of course; that would be a bit tedious for him I suppose, but it's quite good and he even wrote it himself." She smiled bashfully; "I couldn't do that to save my life. No pun intended of course" she was not so much bothered by the fact that she was a ghost; she just minded that she'd died. Of course one had led to the other, but that didn't mean she had to be equally upset by both.

She smiled apologetically to Lady Anne, "I fear I don't know the steps, but if you don't mind that, I will happily take another dance, though I really should eat something at some point. Nick has made such an effort. Oh and I do think he will have pastries. He usually does. What flavour is your favourite?" she asked Melia.

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 am

Isabella drifted over to the gathering of ghosts.

"Pardon me! I couldn't help but overhear part of your conversation on my way to the "refreshments." Can we still call them that? Perhaps there is a better word for it...is decay-ments a thing? What about horror-d'oeuvre?...oh, i'm babbling again. Sorry! Anyway, I heard you mention you don't know the steps to the gavotte? I would love to teach you! It's much easier if you pretend there is real....ah, i mean, different....music than what the saws are playing....I can show you after I get a taste of that cheese!"

Isabella drifted off but quickly returned.

"How rude of me! I'm Isabella, formerly of Hufflepuff." *Nodding her head* "Pleased to meet you!"
Last edited by Arianna Stonewater on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:51 am

'Melia clapped her hands. She might not understand English that well, but the look on the lady ghost's face was priceless, and gave clear meaning to the word. "Decay-ments?" She beamed, then turned back to Maria. "I love mint. I love honey and mint. A sweetness!"

"I am 'Melia. Of France and visiting here with my cousin" she replied to Arianwen's polite introduction. "Are all of you, well, most of you, of Hogwarts?" she asked, gesturing at the crowd of ghosts and sundry people.

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Lavinia smiled as she saw Maria, Lady Anne, and Arianwen join in the conversation with the lovely 'Melia. This was already shaping up into a very nice party or so Lavinia imaged. She had never been to a party when she was alive. Too busy with her nose stuck in a book.

"Oh my goodness. Song, dance, food! How does one choose? Well, I am all for going to those refreshments and trying some of those, what did you call it, decay-ments and horror d'oeurves. You are too funny Arianwen! Plus, Arianwen now has me craving some of that lovely cheese!" said Lavinia. "Maria, want to race?" asked Lavinia.

Kendra Givens
No broom

Postby Kendra Givens » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Temperance floated by the group of lady ghosts, contemplating whether or not she wanted to join their seemingly lively conversation. She had never been very good at including herself in groups or activities after they had already started, but she knew she wanted to be involved in the action somehow.

As she passed the group, she overheard them talking about the wonderful cheese and haggis that were being offered at the horror d’oeurves table. “That’s the ticket”, she thought as she moved past them toward the table. She filled a plate with as much cheese as she could, and she went back to the group.

“Excuse me, I hate to interrupt, but did I overhear someone say they’d like some more of this mouldy cheese? It’s delicious, so I brought a plate over to share! I’m Temperance Shay of Ravenclaw. I hope you don’t mind if I join you.”

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:00 pm

The Ghost of Bloody Clay decided now was a good moment to arrive to the party. He floated by Temperance's mouldy cheese plate but wasn't in the mood for that at the moment. However, he heard that there would be haggis at the hors d'oeuvres table, and that was what he was craving at the moment. So he turned and looked around for a bit, ignoring the other ghosts for the moment, and made a beeline for the table. He recognized the haggis by the tasty smell and put a few pieces on a plate before scoping out the scene and seeing if anything or anyone else was particularly interesting at the moment...

Polaris Black
Silver Arrow

Postby Polaris Black » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:31 pm

“I am Lady Anne and it is a pleasure to meet you, Temperance," Lady Anne said with a smile. "Allow me to introduce Lavinia, Maria, Arianwen, and 'Melia, who is from France and visiting her cousin. We have been discussing the so very important matters of dance, musical instruments, and of course, food. Thank you for bringing the lovely cheese.”

Lady Anne helped herself to a morsel and expressed her approval. Then she cleared her throat.

“I have been asked to sing the song that was written especially for me. Please join in if you know it - it has been around even longer than this cheese,” she laughed. Then she began to sing.

“Alas, my love, you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
For I have loved you well and long
Delighting in your company

Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my lady greensleeves

Your vows you've broken, like my heart
Oh, why did you so enrapture me?
Now I remain in a world apart
But my heart remains in captivity

I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever you would crave
I have both wagered life and land
Your love and good-will for to have”

Gail Allen
No broom

Postby Gail Allen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Maria was more than pleased with the turn of events when Temperance brought over the cheese; that just made the choice between eating and dancing and talking so much easier; now at least talking and eating could happen simultaneously.

"Thank you Temperance" she said as she grabbed a piece of cheese that looked particularly well moulded.

Her face lit up when Lady Anne began to sing.
She knew that tune!
She finished the morsel of cheese and then fell in and sang along with her.

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:09 pm

The Ghost of Bloody Clay listened to the music and wondered how he could join in. He didn't have the right voice for singing, but maybe there was something nearby he could play to join in? He looked to his right and found a musical saw, which was next to a bow that seemed almost custom tailored to his hands! He took the bow and played along the saw in accompaniment, proceeding to add on flourishes as he felt appropriate.

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 am

Lavinia smiled at the newest arrival to the party. "Temperance you are the sweetest and it is a pleasure to see you again!" said Lavinia as she picked up piece of the yummy looking mouldy cheese. "This is such good cheese!" she said as she savored every bite. "I used to love blue cheese when I was among the living. I guess I have always had a thing for mouldy cheese." she laughed.

Lavinia turned and listened to Lady Anne performing her beautiful number. Lavinia cheered and clapped as Lady Anne and Maria were singing. They sounded so beautiful!

Lavinia looked up when she heard a new sound. She turned and saw a new ghost had joined the party and he was playing what looked like a bow. "Oh girls, what do you think about this new instrument that ghost over there is playing? Does anyone know who that is?" asked Lavinia.

Gail Allen
No broom

Postby Gail Allen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 am

Maria cringed.
The musical saws had always been a little too... sharp, in her ears.
"I believe it's a saw" she said and looked at the ghost playing it.
"He seems to like the sound. I cannot imagine why anyone would, but it seems many spirits find it quite soothing." she winced again at a particularly sharp note. "Maybe it comes easier to those who like shrieking" she noted. It had been something she had never gotten the hang of, or indeed a great interest in which probably at least to some degree explained why she had never gotten good at it.

Polaris Black
Silver Arrow

Postby Polaris Black » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Lady Anne noticed Maria wince at the sharp sound of the saw. Unfortunately, she knew it was nothing she would ever get used to. She smiled encouragingly at Maria.

“Thank you for joining me, Maria," said Lady Anne soothingly. “You have a beautiful voice. You could have sung in the Hogwarts choir if you had lived long enough.”

Then she glanced over at the newcomer, who was still using the bow to play along the saw. “That sound has become very popular with the younger generations," she said to Maria. “You must encounter it quite frequently.”

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Postby Will Lestrange » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 am

The Ghost of the Bloody Clay continued playing along with the musical saw until the song ended. Realizing that no one around seemed to enjoy the sound of the saw, he decided not to try to accompany the next song with his musical accompaniment. Instead, he decided to float along towards a different corner of the room in hope that he might see something - or someoone - interesting there. For now, though, it simply made more sense to wait: after all, he's a ghost! He has all the time in the world!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Lady Anne did sing the song and then Maria began singing with her. 'Melia hummed. She didn't know the words in English but the tune was the same as something in Gaul. Then some guy picked up another of those things which posed as music instruments and started playing it. aaiiEEE She moved discreetly away from the source of the noise while still humming. When the song was over, she moved a bit closer.

"Thank you, Lady Anne, for the song" 'Melia said, smiling. "That tune, it is also in France." She thought it a funny song and wondered if the words in English were the same meaning as the words in French because she didn't understand a lot of the words -- however, the tune and the singing was lovely.

'Melia looked around. Where was her cousin? Not that she was worried ... what could be done to a ghost which hadn't already been done? But she wanted to maybe meet Sir Nick and her cousin had promised an introduction.

Return to “One of the Roomier Dungeons”