Pet Discussion #1

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Pet Discussion #1

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Dear students,

If you are enrolled in this class for the Fall Term 2017, please procede with our first Pet Discussion. This post is worth 10 points of your ASSIGNMENT 1.

Taken from the Class Website:

Please head to the Class Forum and introduce yourself to the class. Maybe you can tell us why you decided to take this class, or what other HOL classes you are taking. In your introduction, also include your answer to the following questions:

Do you have any pets in real life? If you do, tell us: What kind of pet it is?, What’s its name?, What makes it special?, Does it do any tricks?, Any other thing you want to share with the class!
If you don’t have any pets, then please tell us the reason why you don’t have one. Is it your choice?, Is it a parental restriction?, any other reasons? Then tell us, if you could have a pet, which kind of animal would it be?, Why?

Please, make your post at least 100 words long for full marks. Thank you!

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: Pet Discussion #1

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:47 am

Hello! I'm a third year Slytherin Prefect and I am excited to take this class because I love my HOL pets, Archimedes, Damien and Edrea.

Sadly I do not have any IRL pets. When I was younger I had a cat, a dog and a fish tank. I was obsessed with Pocahontas so my cat’s name was Nicolma, my dog was Kocoum, and my fish tank was collectively named Pocahontas (except the albino goldfish. He got his own name: Goldie.) But when I moved to another state the new place changed my allergies and so now I’m allergic to anything with hair, fur, or feathers; cats being the worst. I’ve found as I grow older there are some dogs I can be around, but I couldn’t live with them 24/7, which is a shame because I love animals! So for now my virtual cat, owl, and toad will have to do! I would love a pony someday though!!
Last edited by Arianna Stonewater on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Blackwood
No broom

Postby Robin Blackwood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi! I am Robin Blackwood, first year student. I am taking four classes this term; Astronomy, Dragonology, Charms and Care for Magical Pets. I was amazed about great idead by making this class and I signed immediately. Sadly I am not the owner of any pet. First I had the alergy on the dogs and cats and other animals with fur. But now I think that this is over and I also passed alergy test without being alergic on those. Still I am having no pet because of parents restriction. Luckily my grandpa and grandma have three cats and love to be with them. If I would have choise then I would choose medium sized dog or maybe a cat. They are both so magnificent, but there is less work with cats. Maybe this would influent on my choise and I would choose dog for more amount of work and a challenge for me.

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 am

Hi everyone! I'm Shiloh Adlar, sixth year Ravenclaw prefect and RQT co-captain. This term I am also taking Career Advice: Planning Your Future, Marvellous Musical Theatre - Act 4, Mathematics: Arithmancy the Muggle Way, Survival, and I'm completing my OWLs. I decided to take this class mainly because I love any class Prof. Gus offers. The assignments are always quick and easy which I need in my busy schedule, and it looked kind of fun.

In real life, I do have a pet cat. His name is Onyx and he's an all black Egyptian Mau. His birthday is actually in a couple of days, and he'll be nine years old! Black Egyptian Maus aren't as prized as their spotted counter parts, but he's prized by me. I've had him pretty much since he was born. He's extremely intelligent. I've often found him turning on the water in the sink to drink out of it or reaching up to open doors to go into another room. He also likes to talk a lot and knows his feeding schedule by the clock. It's as if he can read time or something. If I don't feed him right when I'm supposed to, he lets me know. He's also a very high jumper. I can't name how many times he's jumped up on top of places that I can't even reach. One time I took him to the vet, and he managed to jump from the table all the way on top of the cupboards that were high up on the wall. He came down just fine when I told him to, but the vet was shocked he could jump as high as he did. He's currently living with my parents, so I miss him a lot, but maybe not the early morning alarm clock. I don't get enough sleep the way it is.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi. I'm Tarma. This term I'm taking Care of Magical Pets and Survival, Magic in Famous Mysteries, Magical Greek Mythology and The Her in Hero.

I'm taking this class because Professor Gus is an awesome teacher (I've taken his Herbology class and Dance class) and wanted to indulge myself. No, no butter there. It's true. :)

I am fortunate to live with a Kelpie and a couple of Horses. The Kelpie is Murie and the Horses are Beauty and Ashia (pronounced Asia). I don't think of them as 'pets' per se. They are partners with me. I sometimes think that I am their pet, and they are with me partly because they like my company but also largely to 'take care' of me. They help me by being innately balanced in and of Aletheia ("unclosedness", "unconcealedness", "disclosure" or "truth"). This is a resonance which I choose to be, and am gradually re-tuning myself to my own choices of who and what I am, and not the choices that others would have had me be.

I've lived with horses all my life, and am very fortunate to have done so. They are so much larger than I am, and, while they are not nasty-minded at all, if I slip and am not being true to myself (but involved in some sort of intellect/ego dramz) they are very prompt to let me know that what I am resonating is not pleasant to them and they want me to stop. :ph34r:
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Alex Sparks
No broom

Postby Alex Sparks » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Hello, I am Alex, and I am a Hufflepuff Seventh Year. I am taking this class because I love pets, magical or otherwise. This year I am also taking Confronting Your Boggart, Disney Studies: The Classics, Dragonology, Kennilworthy's Kitchen, and I am also hoing I'll manage to finish my OWLs. I have had many pets so far, and right now I am honored to be the humble servant to two cats, Findus, a mackerel tabby who is twelve years old, and Thomas O'Malley, a seven month old ginger and white youngster.
Findus is a very cuddly cat who loves to eat and steals everything edible if you don't put it away safely and has been known to eat a whole slice of dry bread, and Tommy can already open doors from both sides, so that we have to lock them! I am very sure both of them are at least half Kneazles! :ph34r:

Return to “Care of Magical Pets”