Another perspective

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Another perspective

Postby Gail Allen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm

The Harry Potter books are of course written with Harry as the main character, because that way we are allowed to see the full story of how Voldemort rose to power once more, and how he was defeated. But sometimes while reading the books I have been curious about what might have been different if the events had progressed as they did, but were viewed from the point of view of another character. If for instance the main focus had been on Draco Malfoy. We would have known more of the inner workings of the wizarding world from the start of course, and Gryffindor's sudden victory in the housecup towards the end of the first book would probably have looked quite a bit different from Draco's perspective. We would also have known far more about Voldemort's plans, but the plans of Harry and co would have remained hidden.

I really enjoy thought experiments like that and I would like to know what others think would have changed with a different character perspective. What if we'd heard the story from Neville, or Luna, or Ginny perhaps or what if Remus Lupin was the main character.
I am really curious to hear what you all think and who you could imagine would have made an interesting alternative to Harry as main character, while keeping the events of the story as they are in canon.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Another perspective

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 pm

When I first saw this topic, I immediately thought of Neville Longbottom. He was always a favorite of mine, from the time of his standing up for what he felt is right, no matter who was pressuring him to do otherwise. (And gee, having the 'trio' telling him what to do? And he still said 'no'? Kudos to Neville!)

He also, as a child, had an upbringing of being looked down upon (albeit from a different point of view than that of Harry Potter and the Dursleys). Imagine being held upside down over a drop of many feet, in order to (hopefully) bring out the 'wizard' in him. What other things had been done to him, in hopes of him fitting in (and so his family wouldn't have to apologize for his existence)?
His relatives feared that Neville might be a Squib, though this was disproved when his great-uncle Algie was holding him out of a window by his feet when he was offered some lemon meringue and let go. Miraculously, he bounced. Previous to this, there were various attempts to make him show signs of magic, including dropping him off Blackpool pier, where, according to Neville, he nearly drowned.
~ Harry Potter Wiki

Yet here he is, knowing how he is regarded and yet ... so brave. :wub:

So how would the story look if it had been told from his point of view? I cheered loudly when he said "I'll join you when hell freezes over! Dumbledore's Army!" (Yes, I was reading the book at the time, but ... in the movie theatre, did I cheer then? Ah ... :D of course!)
Second thought was of Remus Lupin. He's one of the best of the best. I was so saddened when he died in book 7. (Him and Fred and Hedwig and Tonks ...) But that's another post.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 pm

I have always wondered what it would have been like from Snape's and Dumbledore's perspectives. I also think it would have been interesting hearing the story from either Ron or Hermione's perspective. With those two, we would still get the full story of the plans on Harry's side, but I do wonder about what their thoughts were while all of this was going on, especially Hermione being born into the muggle world with no wizarding world connections whatsoever. At least Harry had that so people knew him and were fascinated by him, but Hermione was just another muggle who had to fight for respect and for people to come to like her and understand her.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Postby Hannah R Thomas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm

I completely agree with you Shi. From Hermione's point of view, I think it would make an incredible story! One person I do want to see is Viktor Krum's story. Durmstrang is known for their Dark Arts and I feel like the school is easily stereotyped for many negative things. Krum is a "rare" case that is from a magical family but isn't prejudice against muggle-borns. It would also be fun to see that of another school :)
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

This is really interesting, i would like to know from the Prof. Mcgonagall's perspective since she is stoic but really fun person, and I really want to know how her perspective with all the students from Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. How is she look at the actions from the rule-breaker and how the worries she have when she look at the Harry and friends getting into all the dangerous thing.
And maybe peep on what and how is the Professor doing behind the scene, their friendship, family, and many other more!

Return to “General Harry Potter”