RIP Ollivander

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

RIP Ollivander

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

The actor who played our beloved wand make Ollivander (and also the War Doctor! ) John Hurt, has passed away :(

Who do you think will take over Ollivander's now? Does his son have the knowledge?

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Re: RIP Ollivander

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am

Ouch, that news was like a punch to the gut. Such a great actor and, from what I hear, a genuinely lovely person. :'(

I'm in the midst of introducing my mum to the BBC's Merlin-that's gonna be pretty bitter sweet to watch now with his voice over at the start of every episode.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Meredith Malkins
No broom

Postby Meredith Malkins » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:17 pm

That is so sad, especially as he was so talented. I didn't know him as Ollivander, but I did know him as the War Doctor. So many talented people have died this year and it's only the end of January.

Ollivander has a son? If so then he'd totally take over the shop. Or maybe Ollivander has an apprentice?

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 am

Yes, he has a son and he had a daughter but she is deceased. This is something that was posted on the original Pottermore, but it's missing from his profile on the updated Pottermore.

It would make sense for his son to take over since it is a family business

Rowan Wildsmith
No broom

Postby Rowan Wildsmith » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:28 am

I'm going to the Wizarding World in Hollywood in a couple weeks. I kind of want to bring a flower for John Hurt. He really was an amazing actor, though I think a lot of people in my generation will only think of him as Ollivander.

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:57 pm

though I think a lot of people in my generation will only think of him as Ollivander.

I knew he was the War Doctor and in The Elephant Man, but I didn't know he was Ollivander until after he passed. I looked through his IMDB, he's actually been in a lot of movies I've seen and loved. Its like when Alan Rickman passed, some know him from Shakespeare, some (most) know him as Severus Snape, some only know him from his voice work for the new Alice in Wonderland movies.

Return to “General Harry Potter”