Maybe Eight Book In 10 Years

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderators: Maxwell Shadow, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Sir Paddy
Shooting Star

Postby Sir Paddy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:07 pm

JK Rowling says she has not ruled out an eighth Harry Potter novel, although she is unlikely to consider writing it for another 10 years.

The best-selling author of the wizard series told Time magazine she had had "weak moments" when she has said "Yeah, all right" to an eighth book.

Rowling has previously made it clear the series would be in seven parts.

Rowling is a runner-up in Time's Person of the Year list 2007. The winner is Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The seventh - and apparently final - instalment of the Harry Potter series was published earlier this year.

Beedle the Bard

Rowling told Time her central protagonist would be unlikely to feature in any future books.

"If - and it's a big if - I ever write an eighth book, I doubt that Harry would be the central character. I feel I've already told his story," she said.

"But these are big ifs. Let's give it 10 years."

The seventh instalment - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - became the fastest-selling book when it was published in July, based on sales in the UK and US.

A handwritten copy of Rowling's new book The Tales of Beedle the Bard recently sold for almost £2m.

Rowling wrote and illustrated seven copies of the book, which will never be published, but offered only one for sale.

The collection of fairy tales is mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Proceeds from the sale went to Rowling's charity Children's Voice.
Prof Paddy O' Brien Professor Emeritus, Emeritus Head of Slytherin House, emeritus member of the HOL board, emeritus member of the Head Office
3rd Floor Corridor
HOL Castle

Felicia
Moontrimmer

Postby Felicia » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:09 pm

10 years.. I can't wait 10 year!

What I want is the story of James, Siruis, Remus, Severus and Lily.

Now that's a book I want in my hands.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Oh! I just read Paddy's post and ... how can I wait that long! ohmy.gif

I hope she continues to agree to what she said 'in weak moments'. I'd love to read more of the HP universe, even if Harry Potter himself isn't a central character.

I think I'd want to read more of the school, though. What is going on at Hogwarts? Perhaps in 10 years we will read of the children of the folks of this particular series, and their adventures. Who knows?
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Tambaqui Balthazar
Moontrimmer

Postby Tambaqui Balthazar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Not to be a negative or such, but I don't think JK should release anymore Series/Novel/such relating to Harry Potter.

I think the series should end with Deathly Hallows and should not proceed, I'd rather see JK venture on other ideas such as the HP Encyclopedia or maybe some fun Text Book such as Hogwarts: A History.

I think JK should also venture with opportunity to do a different type of novels (or series), that can do just as well.

By the time 10 years come, I don't think HP will be on JK's mind. Also JK has a family as well, and now that she finished and released DH, she should now spend quality time with her family.
STOP THOSE DEATH THREATS! :(
(Please note, this signature is sarcastic!)

Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Postby Cyriel Aurorus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Hmm yes, I have to agree with Tamb. I think that if she continues to write about it, it could start dragging on and that'd ruin the whole thing. I'm sure that's why she's been against publishing any new stories herself.

Don't get me wrong, on one hand I would really love to hear more about the HP universe. Buuut on the other hand, I just can't help being a little cautious. It has been perfect so far, so I feel like it could be spoiled easily. You know what they say about too much of a good thing. >_>
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|

Julian Charlie
No broom

Postby Julian Charlie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Jk's not writing an 8th book, thats completely not going to happen. She is writing an Encyclopedia of HP. Thats what the 8th book will be, from what I read about her.

Also, she said she'd never write another series, because she knows that she'll never be able to compete with the success Harry Potter has gained over the years. Actually no book will probably beat hers, and from the looks of the billions of dollars she made, I doubt she'll want it any other way. Isn't she the 2nd richest woman or is she richer than the Queen of England now? I can't remember, but I read about it somewhere.
Sig N av by Meh (Julian @ The Palace)

Blake Granger
Moontrimmer

Postby Blake Granger » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:23 pm

She is more rich than the queen of England to answer your question.

She never said she wasn't going to write another series. She said she wasn't going to write a series that is a follow-up to Harry Potter. But, seeing she has had some weak moments, she might be writing another book. I would be much happier that Harry is not the central character.

I like the story of Lily, James, Sirius, Lupin...etc.

Corisa Bennet
No broom

Postby Corisa Bennet » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 pm

You know what J.R.R Tolkien did? He wrote the Hobbit, then LotR, but he also wrote the Silmarillion. However, the Silmarillion was like.. the 'bible'. Like, the creation and everything up to 'the Hobbit'.
That's what I'd like from J.K Rowling, well, something similar.

Sig made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
PM me for info.

Chiya Drew
No broom

Postby Chiya Drew » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 am

The Silmarillion was evil. I could NEVER get past 20 pages in that book.
It's like it doesn't want to be read!

castora grimsby
No broom

Postby castora grimsby » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:08 am

I hope she does come out with an 8th book. I would also like to see a copy of Beedle the Bard. I have heard that she may give the remaining 6 copies to libraries or Universities. I am also patiently unsure.gif waiting for the encyclopedia. Maybe it will answer some lingering questions.

Prof. Ashlee Sully
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Ashlee Sully » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 am

She gave the 6 remaining copies of Beedle the Bard to friends and important people in her life, that were there for her as she wrote Harry Potter. The 7th was the only one that went up for auction and probably the only one that the general public will get a chance to see. Its amazing how much it sold for!!

I dont really want to see an 8th book, unless its about Sirius, James etc... more than anything I really just want the encyclopedia, I just want to learn all the little things about the Harry Potter world, like what all the students did for a job, who they married ... what happened to them after the battle, the little things.
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Alexia Riaper
Silver Arrow

Postby Alexia Riaper » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:05 am

It's rare for me to say that I don't want extra books in a series that I love, but JK left if perfectly, and concluded everything so nicely. I don't feel like there's more to the story like I often do when a series ends. I would be very interested in a story about Lilly, James, Sirius, Remus etc. I think that would be great.

Blake Granger
Moontrimmer

Postby Blake Granger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 pm

I also thought about the whole creation of the Wizarding World thing. I'm not sure how interesting it would be. It would also be kind of interesting to hear about his kids. That might not be that interesting either. I am definitely most interested in basically a whole history of the Marauders and stuff. I want to know more about their years at Hogwarts and then more after that. I don't know how long that would take but I'm sure it would be extremely entertaining and people would get hooked just as badly as Harry Potter.

She did write that 800 word prequel for that auction. I'm looking forward to just reading that. It should be fairly interesting even though it might be kind of short.

I am also looking forward to learning more about the Wizarding World in the Encyclopedia.

Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 am

I can't wait for the Encyclopedia. I feel like the the last book left more questions than answers. So much for wrapping things up.
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Megaera Selwyn
No broom

Postby Megaera Selwyn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:43 am

Hmm. The Potterhead in me is squealing in all her fangirl-y glee at this news. But the logical side of me wonders whether or not it's a good idea. If she caves and writes a continuation, won't fans just be all, "Crap, it's the series that won't DIE!"?
Meg | me891
"School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it? Dumb rules and bad food in both places.â€￾ ~ Marco, Animorphs

Lauren Joy
No broom

Postby Lauren Joy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 pm

To Be Honest She Shouldnt Make Any More Books, There Great But It Will Drag On Until Every One Gets Sick Of It.
Uh-oh, I did not read the signature rules! My image was too large and now one of the evil forum admins removed it!

Alva Saint-Clair
No broom

Postby Alva Saint-Clair » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 am

i'd prefer JKR to write an encyclopedia. Like the others have said, Harry Potter's going to lose its charm if she writes book 8! *nods*
It's better if she writes about the backplots of characters that she hasn't had the chance to evolve, that's going to be way more interesting!
"Such a lovely, sweet tempered girl."

Rebecca Seidemann
No broom

Postby Rebecca Seidemann » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 pm

An eighth Harry Potter that is not surrounding Harry, would not be a Harry Potter... It would be another book or another character's name from the series. I would love if she were to write another book or even series, but it wouldn't really be (the now 36 year old) Harry Potter.

Leaf A. Crane
No broom
Location: standing quietly right behind you. and yeah - I heard that.

Postby Leaf A. Crane » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:26 am

I like the textbook idea... would be totally fun if she wrote more Hogwarts textbooks or wizarding world books in general like she did with the Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch books. I'd probably not be as interested in more books about the main characters. It would just seem like it was dragging on past it's time.
Last edited by Leaf A. Crane on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let them underestimate you. They'll never know what hit 'em.

Keety Rhea
Oakshaft 79

Postby Keety Rhea » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:41 am

I have to say that I would love to have an eighth book before the ten year marker, you know? I mean it would be funny if she just decides 'up about now?!' :lol:

I hope she does write an eigth book. I would love to read a story on Draco Malfoy. I would love that.
Credit to: Jenna Hathaway from Ravenclaw

Reserve Ravenclaw Prefect!! Zoki Phatom's HOL Mommy! Eno calls me Katie!

ke400-Fifth Year

Return to “General Harry Potter”