Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 am

Dear students,
Here you can post your results of the values and wizarding jobs tests. Remember it is worth 10 points of your Assignnment 4:

Taken from the website:

As usual, when you are done with your tests, please go to our Class Forum (Click to go to the forum!) and share your results. Comment answering the following questions:
*Which were the prominent values that you got?
*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why?
* Look at the suggested careers that your type of values has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not?
*Which was the wizarding job that you got?
* Are you comfortable with your result? Why or why not?
* Does the wizarding job that resulted from the test matches with the one you’ve been working this term? What do you think about that difference or similarity?
* Any other thought that you wish to share with us is very welcome!

IMPORTANT: Please justify your answers and make your post is at least 100 words long if you want to receive your complete 10 points. Thanks!

Prof. Saeir Darr
No broom

Re: Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Postby Prof. Saeir Darr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Values Survey Results
Economic = 14
Theoretical = 13
Aesthetic = 8
Social = 5
Political = 8
Religious = 12

Yep, not surprised. I value efficieny and self-reliance, not a welfare state.
The other quiz said I would have Gringotts job. Absolutely not! Working at a bank is soooo boring!! I may be logical, but I actually hate numbers. I prefer word puzzles. Computer programming is like a language to me, it's not "math". Most career quizzes automatically think that if a person is "logical", they must like mathematics. This is definitely not true.
Even though I scored about the same in Economic, Theoretical, and Religious, Theoretical is the most interesting to me. I value the "discovery of truth" above all else. The three jobs listed in the lesson that most interest me are Professor, Spell Inventor, and Unspeakable. I want to study hard subjects and discover new things, especially if I'm trying to uncover the Truth about a particular subject or issue. It's fascinating and challenging.
Currently teaching: Magic on Ice: Figure skating!

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 am

*Which were the prominent values that you got? My two highest values were Aesthetic at 16 and Social at 12.

*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why? Because I'm a dancer, I can agree with the aesthetic value. I think I look at the world around me with as much beauty as I can. I try to see the positive in everything, and I am always speaking about harmony in the world. I also agree with the social value. Love of people is something I talk about a lot. I think I am a very caring person, and this will be valued when I go into healing once I graduate from Hogwarts.

* Look at the suggested careers that your type of values has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not? I am definitely not an actress although I have been in many musicals. It was more of a dance role. I currently play quidditch and am the Ravenclaw quidditch team captain. I don't think being a wandmaker would be a good job for me. As far as the social careers, I have so many to choose from! The one that of course stands out the most is Healer. I don't think I would be much interested in the other jobs listed. I would say Dragonologist, but it is only because I'm obsessed with this muggle program called Game of Thrones.

* Which was the wizarding job that you got? The test was not working for me, so I found another one to take that was similar. I ended up getting Herbologist.

* Are you comfortable with your result? Why or why not? I study biology in real life, so I guess I would be okay with that, although botany is not my focus and not of great interest to me even though I do love plants.

* Does the wizarding job that resulted from the test matches with the one you’ve been working this term? What do you think about that difference or similarity? They are fairly different. While Healer requires Potions and Herbology OWLs, it also requires quite a few more on top of them. Herbology deals with plants and Healing deals with people. However, herbologist can help healers out with certain plants by then sending them to be brewed for healing concoctions and potions.

* Any other thought that you wish to share with us is very welcome! It was really interesting to take the values test, and I think it described me well. I was surprised though that theoretical was not higher than it was and that it also tied with religion, both at 9. Considering the two often cancel each other, it was quite entertaining to see.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Katelin Ross
No broom

Postby Katelin Ross » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am

*Which were the prominent values that you got?
My results were, for the most part, all within a few points of each other. My strongest score was a twelve in the Political category followed closely by an eleven in both social and aesthetic values.
*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why?
I agree with these results. I am a teacher in real life, and according to the lesson, the values that best fit those of a professor are theoretical, social, and political. All of these values were scored high in my test results, so it makes sense that my value scores would fit into the profession that I have chosen for myself in real life.
* Look at the suggested careers that your type of values has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not?
The suggested careers for my value types all deal with positions of leadership. I find that I naturally take the leadership role in most aspects of my life (although I can also take a step back and let others take that leadership role when needed). I find it natural to step into that role when that role is needed in what I am doing. The jobs/professions that fit my values are: Auror, Chief of Staff, Professor, Head of Department at the ministry, and Minister of Magic. My favorites of the ones listed are professor and Auror. I would definitely research on the other professions listed as my top two are either what I do for a living, or what tests I have taken place me in as ideal jobs for my personality.
*Which was the wizarding job that you got?
The wizarding job that I got was Auror.
* Are you comfortable with your result? Why or why not?
Yes, I am comfortable with my result. I have always seen my character as an Auror or a Professor as a job post Hogwarts. I have also taken to helping out my good friend Amanda in assisting in her Auror classes. I like the idea of hunting down and bringing people who have done bad things to justice, so taking that one step farther and bringing dark witches and wizards to justice
* Does the wizarding job that resulted from the test matches with the one you’ve been working this term? What do you think about that difference or similarity?
Auror intelligence, values, and personality types all match up to my test results throughout this term. I think it matches my personality type to a tee. I believe that I would have a hard time choosing between Auror and Professor as a post Hogwarts career had I had the opportunity to do either. I will definitely need to do more research on both Auror and Professor before I make my final decision on what to do with the rest of my life.

Thanks to my Secret Elf for the wonderful signature!!

Resyarrina Elora
No broom

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm

*Which were the prominent values that you got? Economic were the most prominent, follow close by social, aesthetic, theoretical, political and Religious at the end.
*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why? I agree, looking at my usual daily life, seems everything fit to the results, and it's great.
* Look at the suggested careers that your type of values has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not? i like them, but i do hope some more political points add in. All the other careers are so interesting, i really would like to know more.
*Which was the wizarding job that you got? I've got Hogwarts Professor, great! well, i've got the consistent result all along the lesson, i think i really should considering go to the education path.
* Are you comfortable with your result? Why or why not? i like the result, but i still think i need more to decide. I don't feel comfortable with the result as teacher, professor, private coach all the time, no auror maybe? for some adventure thrill feeling? :D
* Does the wizarding job that resulted from the test matches with the one you’ve been working this term? What do you think about that difference or similarity? Yes, it's match, better to say, all along the lesson B)

Meredith Malkins
No broom

Postby Meredith Malkins » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 am

My results were interesting: Theoretical (15), Religious (13), Aesthetic (11), Social (9), Economic (7), Political (5)
The high numbers for Theoretical and Religious makes sense. I expected social to be higher, otherwise that's me in a nutshell.
I really like Professor, Spell Inventor, Apparition Instructor, and Alchemist. I'd check out Astronomer, Magizoologist, Herbologist, and Potioneer. I'd have look at Wand-maker, Journalist, and Arithmancer, but they aren't really my thing. Seer fits my 2 highest values and my Intelligence Type, but I'm not so interested in this... Unspeakable also suited all of those, and I do find that intriguing.
I got Healer, it makes sense. I reckon they just put Hufflepuff + Doctor and came up with Healer, but okay. Doctor is actually my second Muggle-job choice, below Scientist but above Teacher.
I'm not sure Healer is the best fit, I mean it's a good fit, but I think there are better ones. I like helping people but I reckon I can do that better through discovery. If I could be a Healing Researcher, that would be good.

Amanda Summers
No broom

Postby Amanda Summers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 am

Economic = 10
Theoretical = 10
Aesthetic = 7
Social = 14
Political = 11
Religious = 8

It is interesting results because I never thought or looked at this part of myself. I would agree with these results. I am a very theoretical person I am also economical. I am social person and love to speak and meet new people. Although I dont agree with political I am not into politics much and try to live a less political influencial life as possible.

Celeste Rivet
No broom

Postby Celeste Rivet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 pm

The most prominent values that I got were Social, Aesthetic, and Economic (the last two mentioned being tied). I agree completely with my results because I would rather spend more time and effort making sure that some of the world’s more humanitarian issues are resolved rather than spend time and effort in helping anything else. However, I do believe that the fact that economic and aesthetic values were tied is something that I also completely agree with because I support both values in progress with each other rather than at the expense of each other. There is a huge range of careers to select from, each more exciting and diverse than the other so I’d say I like them very well.
The wizarding job I got was wand maker. I’m not very comfortable with my result since it’s not a career choice that really intrigues me or that I have any drive for. This job doesn’t match with ones I had been working for (actress or journalist) since it doesn’t offer the same range of change of atmosphere or entertainment.

Return to “Career Advice”