Week 5-Magical Games and Sports

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Week 5-Magical Games and Sports

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:01 am

We here an awful lot about Quidditch in the Harry Potter series but there are other magical games and sports. The ones we know of are Aingingein, The Annual Broom Race, Quodpot, Shuntbumps, stichstock, Gobstones and Wizard Chess but there must be many, many others.

For 10 beans, tell us about your competitive career at Hogwarts. Do you think you would be a Quidditch aficionado? What position would you want to play? Alternatively, is there another sport or game you think would suit you? If your ideal activity has yet to be created by J.K Rowling, dream it up for yourself.

For another 10 beans, are you planning to devote time to Quidditch this year on Hol? Are there any other Wizarding Games aside from Quidditch you think we could adapt and play? Deadline is 30th September!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 5-Magical Games and Sports

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 am

I'd like to have a potion tournament, because I can come up with some creative concoctions. For instance, the Bug Bee Gone Potion that I once made up that used Aloe Vera and other ingredients in it. This potion helped to get rid of bugs. I also like cooking and that has to do with potions too. Only draw back is that I do not have a blender. It would be a big help if I had that tool so that I can use it. Maybe next weekend I can pick one up and then I can finally use it for cooking.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
One game that we can adapt a little more and play is "Who Am I?" where we all have a character at random and we have to role play as that person. Then at some point the game organizer can say stop and we then take turns guessing who each of us are. If you are guessed right you are out of the role play and watch so you can guess other peoples character when the next stop is.

Another great game would be to play quidditch, but with many different trivia questions that have to do with everything. This way we learn other stuff besides just Harry Potter and more of us that don't know about Harry Potter series have a chance to win.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:55 am

I would absolutely love to participate in a Race Across Sweden. Oh, yes, those lovely dragons and visiting the different towns. I could learn the many many different ways to heal those scorch marks on clothing and on skin and how to re-grow hair fast if it got singed off by a close encounter of the dragon kind. I think it would be fun to visit the taverns and hostels across the land, too (since I'm not looking to win it because usually the winners take the very shortest route and end up coming in all burned and blistered and sometimes bald ...) and I'd just as soon be able to walk when I finish the course!

As for Quidditch this year, yeah, I'm planning on playing in House games. It might be fun to have the Quidditch Shenanigans like we did before, between fall and spring sessions. That involved some Quaffle (or similar) play for those so inclined and also some Forum challenges of a Quidditch (or Harry Potter) focus.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:54 am

I am interested in playing broom race around Hogwarts or maybe task relay such as dueling with the Whomping Willow in one part of it. We have to be sure though that Madam Pomfrey is available at the soonest possible time. I am sure that I am a Quidditch fan in the wizarding world. I will always root for the Tuts Tornados even if they are not at the top of the league, sign of a loyal fan through thick and thin.

This year, I will play as a member of the HQT. I am hoping that I play good. I had the honor of playing in the Quidditch summer event here in HOL and I had fun. It was worth joining in.

Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Postby Will Lestrange » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:07 pm

In real life I'd probably be rubbish at Quidditch; my coordination and visualization skills are weak PRECISELY in those areas that would be needed for a broom-based flying sport.

Fortunately, my character is not so crippled; as Will Lestrange I'd totally be a Quidditch star playing whatever position my team needed me to fill in for! (Think of Ginny Weasley; almost as good a Seeker as a Chaser, for example.) But I'm probably even better at some of the other broom games: creaothceann, aingingein, and even old fashioned broom races.

As for this year? I definitely plan on playing Quidditch this year for SQT! I'm not at the point where I can say "I have accomplished everything I've set out to"... and, of course, I want to welcome new people to the game as much as possible (and all the better if the new people in question are Slytherins ;))

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 am

I would be a world renown Quidditch beater for Holyhead Harpies! I may be a klutz on the ground but I am great in the air because my hand eye coordination is pretty good. I love the Harpies because they are an all female team plus I love Greek mythology so I am all for being a harpy. They are pretty scary ladies so you know not to cross them just like me. ;)

I am so excited for Quidditch this year! I made the Ravenclaw team so this will be my first year playing for Ravenclaw. I had a lot of fun in the Summer Quidditch League, although I didn't get to finish. I enjoy botting and believe that I am improving every day. I'm looking forward to a great season. Go Eagles!!!

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:21 am

I can't say I'm particularly interested in any wizarding sport besides quidditch. Gobstones perhaps?

I am definitely a quidditch player, and I would probably be a seeker because I'm small. Seekers are generally smaller, but I also like to play chaser. Anything that has to do with bludgers, keep me away from it. I think I would be too nervous to hit one with the bat, but if I can't see it coming, then there's no problem. As a seeker, I can speed away from the bludgers that are batted toward me while keeping my eye out for the snitch.

I am spending time on quidditch this year on HOL. I was recently promoted to RQT co-captain which was a surprise to me, but I'm having fun and trying to do my best at the job. I'm very excited about the season this year. I think it's going to be a good one. As far as other games we could play, a way to develop gobstones would be fun. It's the name that I like. Gobstones. Doesn't anyone else just like the name? Then again, I've no idea how we would develop that. Wizards chess would be much easier, and I would be interested in playing that as well, even if I'm horrible at chess. Good opportunity to learn?
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Off to School”