Week 4-Pets

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Week 4-Pets

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 am

Hogwarts wouldn’t have been at all the same without Hedwig, Pigwidgeon, Crookshank’s or Trevor. And with that in mind, one thing you can spend beans on here on Hol is a feathered, furred or croaking companion from the Hogsmeade Pet Shop to brighten your day.

For this 10 bean task, I’d like you to tell me about your Hogwartian pet. You can either invent an entirely original one or create a back story and personality for one you’ve already acquired here on Hol. Tell us their name, their species, how/when you got them, how they spend their time and any amusing quirks.

If you’re imagining one for yourself, you don’t have to keep it strictly to Owls, Toads or Cats (the students we’re familiar with had rats and Pygmy-puffs after all) but do try to keep it to small and safe creatures you could actually have as pets-no chimeras! If you’d like to provide an image of your pet, please keep it to 600x600 pixels. Deadline is 30th September
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Re: Week 4-Pets

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 am

My pet is a six foot long python named Coily. I love talking to her about my day and hearing her advice in Parseltongue (a language I speak pretty well; most Lestranges get practice with the language from their childhood... since we're not lucky enough to inherit it we have to work for it!) Coily gives me amazing hugs when I'm feeling down, and receiving her advice and support is one of the high points of my day.

When I became a Quidditch captain, less than a week before the first match of last year's season, Coily knew how nervous I was - and for most of that week she was wrapped around me just about everywhere I went. (If you were one of my professors in fall 2016, thank you so much for accommodating this!)

Shiloh Adlar
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 am

I have had four pets total at Hogwarts, two cats and two owls. At some point my first cat, Mr. Mistoffelees, ran into trouble in the greenhouse. He ate something he shouldn't have and got very sick. It turned him into a rabid sort of beast, and before I knew it, the cat I had had for nearly four years here ran off into the Forbidden Forest. My first owl, Booker, was a beautiful owl. He would deliver parcels for me all the time from home and back. We would have lovely conversations. This past summer, I was delivering a message to a friend, and at some point, he must have gotten lost because I never saw him again. However, he loved me telling him all of these stories from my books that I read to him, so I like to think he went off on an adventure of his own.

I acquired two new pets over this summer, another cat and another owl. I'm still getting to know them, but I have noticed that they are both very talkative. Matroskin, my dark and light grey striped cat, never seems to stay quiet for long. Actually, she tends to go over to my owl HootHoot and talk to her nonstop. Of course HootHoot only ever hoots, and Matroskin can only meow although her meows sound like human speak at times. I have to double check to make sure she really isn't speaking human. It does make it hard to study, so sometimes I have to send them away, HootHoot back to the Owlery and Matroskin to the common room to gaze out the window. She's always finding something out there that gets her attention.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Robin Blackwood
No broom

Postby Robin Blackwood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I know that this sounds so traditional; but I would like to have owl. Fact is that I am a bird lover and so I do not preffer capturing birds in cages. But in HP series owls seems different and much more free.
My owl would be most beautiful owl that exist (at least for me). It would be bright cream coloured with special heart-shaped owl face. It would be big of course, much bigger than Ron's little owl and even bigger than Hedwig. Having long and sharp claws with magnificent feathered legs, it would a female; because of no special reason. Her character would be preferably calm, but wary when seeing other people. It would be fun thinking about her as my guard and noticing every move; because we all know that owls are night creatures.
And about her name; probably Regina. This is such marvelous and powerful name, meaning queen. Perfect for my owl to-be.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm

I have a cat, Eatbugs, Image who has been with me from since I was a student. She had an unfortunate demise when I went from student to Professor, but the spell to get her another body worked and so she is with me again!

I also have an Owl, which I acquired after becoming a Professor. Of the Twilight the Darkness Image has been with me since May 18, 2014. He got his name from Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett.

Eatbugs is a little more demanding of attention, but then, she's a cat. They are both fairly contented and happy and sometimes even burst into song, with the yowling and hooting creating quite an interesting noise. (Their favorite song is currently The Last Goodbye from The Hobbit movies.)
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 am

Well one of my pets is my pet dog named Ariel after a wonderful person that use to come to HOL. This person was a wonderful room mate and I loved spending time talking to her.

Another one of my pets is my pet rat named Brayden. I got him during the summer of my third or first fourth year. During this time I was writing a book about Cassius Warrington a little known Slytherin from the Harry Potter books.

My last pet is Sal. I have had Sal since I was little. He is a green basilisk and loves hanging out with Coily and Basil.

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am

If I am at Hogwarts, I see myself buying an owl. Though I think it will be for efficiency reasons. My owl will be able to deliver me letters, send letters from me, and provide joy to me as an owner. I will love my owl like any other owner. My owl is a brown, tawny owl. I might visit the owlery a few times in a month if it does not deliver anything to me in a while. I am not very fond of pets, but I make sure that they are happy. I might buy him owl nuts from time to time.

Here in HOL, I decided not to have a pet. I might fail in the consistency of the duties and requirements required from a pet owner in owning a pet here in HOL. Though from time to time, I feed some of the badgers' owls, especially Asky, Fels, and Kath, when they are on their long trips.

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

On HOL I have a little owl named Yoyo. She's very sweet and affectionate, but she does have quite a taste for beans - burnt toffee flavour is her favourite. She hasn't been in her cage since I picked her up this summer, she prefers to sleep on my bookcase and visit the owlery in the day time in the hope of finding dropped beans. She's quite good at delivering letters, but her particular talent is trying to write them. She's a fan of putting her foot in my ink pot and adding a few lines to the bottom of essays.

At Hogwarts I would have a pet mouse called Sylvia. She would live in my pocket and keep me company at all times. She would be highly intelligent, being a magical mouse, so I would train her to find little things for me and carry notes in class. Of course I would have to be careful that she didn't end up being used for practice in Transfiguration! I don't think she'd take to being a teacup.
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Return to “Off to School”