Week 3-Filling Your Free Time

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Week 3-Filling Your Free Time

Postby Sky Alton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Classes are important but they aren’t the be all and end all of life at Hogwarts. There’s plenty of other stuff to fill your free time with. There’s hanging in your common room, playing magical games and sports, kicking back with your favourite wizarding publication and participating in clubs. Believe it or not, we do all those on HOL too! We’ll be celebrating each of them in the weeks to come

One way we differ from Hogwarts is that we give you extra opportunities to earn some house points in your free time and that’s what we’re focusing on this week. Don’t worry, it doesn’t involve defeating giant chess sets, grabbing flying keys or knocking out the occasional troll (not always, anyway).

I’ve already mentioned the fantastic year round opportunities presented by the Library and Art department in this week’s task. On top of that, unique, themed activities throughout the school year will give you a chance to earn so keep an eye out for announcements on the Hol Blog! Finally, the house newspapers are an excellent way of raking in the points as well as seeing your name in lights (well, in print anyway!)

So, our discussion this week once again has two parts. To earn 10 beans, please share with us what you’d do with your free time at Hogwarts. To bag another 10, we’d love to hear what extra point earning opportunities you’d like to take part in this term at HOL. Deadline is, as ever, the 30th of September.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Re: Week 3-Filling Your Free Time

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 am

I'm really looking forward to reading 25 books for the book bingo thing. I am also excited about doing a lot of other things in the book club. On top of this I am planning to join the Slytherin puzzle thing. I hope that there will be a lot of word searches. Those are my favorite type of puzzles. I'm not that much a fan of sudoku or logic puzzles. On top of everything I also hope to join a few NAPs. I am not great with quidditch, but I do like playing it a little bit. Anyway I hope for a wonderful year ahead. Good luck everyone on there goals and on achieving whatever their goal here and in rl too.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At real Hogwarts I'd be the one into all sports, since in real life I love sports. It don't matter to me if its basketball, football, street hockey, or any other sports. I just love sports. I'd also be a lot near the Slytherin fireplaces. I love fireplaces. Other things that I love about the Hogwarts castle is probably helping out Professor Severus Snape. He is my ideal, because he is a great teacher. Yes he might be a bit strict but he always has the best intention for all his students as long as they are not bumbling idiots that he can't get through. I understand that and I am a lot like that too.

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:12 am

I definitely love swimming in the lake! I also enjoy spending time in the library to do some reading for fun.

To earn some extra points I definitely plan on submitting to all of the house newspapers! I also am hoping to participate in all of the hol-wide activities that offer points too

Sachiko Murata
No broom

Postby Sachiko Murata » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:12 pm

During my school years, I was always a perfectionist and a workaholic. Sure, that meant straight As in all subjects... but it also meant that I had no time for hobbies or extra-curricular activities. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done things a bit differently.

With that in mind, let's tackle this week's discussion!

• Free-time at Hogwarts:

CLUBS:
→ If there was a Dueling Club, I would probably be involved in it, as it would help me improve in both Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts.
→ I love stargazing! Astronomy Club with Professor Sinistra? See you next Wednesday at 9:30 pm!
→ I believe that Charms would be one of my favorite electives, if not my absolute favorite. Therefore, I'd definitely join the Charms Club, especially if it taught spells not learned in class!
→ Ancient Runes would probably be my favorite elective, since it's the closest thing to Foreign Languages that they taught at Hogwarts. As such, I'd probably join the Hogwarts Ancient Runes Club (H. A. R. C.) as well.
→ In one of the Harry Potter films, we see a poster for the Magical Creatures Club, which promised to show students more than 40 creatures a month. That's a lot of creatures! Count me in!
→ I really enjoy singing, so sign me up for the Hogwarts Choir.
→ In my 5th and 7th years I would probably be involved in all sorts of homework/study groups to better prepare for the O.W.L.S. and N.E.W.T.S., respectively.
Hogwarts Dance Academy. What do you mean that isn't a real Hogwarts club? Professor Flores will hear about this!

HOBBIES & INTERESTS:
READING! You'd never get me out of the Hogwarts Library. Ever. All those books with moving pictures, and wizarding publications... Additionally, I wouldn't let a day go by without reading the Daily Prophet. Yes, even Rita Skeeter's articles, just so I could moan about them!
Wizard photography. I am really into photography in real life and, seeing as photography is a lot more interesting in the wizarding world, I'd probably be the next Colin Creevey. Say cheese!
Gardening. This is another of my real life hobbies, which could only be more interesting in the magical word... Though probably not as relaxing! *Cringes at the thought of Mandrake screams*
→ I enjoy sewing quite a lot in real life. Even thought it's not quite the same thing, knitting is known to be a pretty popular hobby among witches and wizards. If I had gone to Hogwarts, I probably would have gotten into it, instead of sewing. After all, the end result is the same: owning a cute garment that you made yourself!
→ I absolutely love board games, but I don't think they are very popular with wizards. Aside from wizard chess, that is! Even though I'm not the best chess player in real life, I'd probably be really into wizard chess, for lack of other games of the sort.
Exploding Snap to kill time in the Common Room? Yes, please!
→ Seeing as collecting Wizard Cards was all the rage, I'd probably jump on the bandwagon too.
Talking. With. The. Portraits. Seriously! I don't understand why students aren't seen talking to the portraits more often! They have been at Hogwarts forever, and probably know all its secrets! :o
→ Doing everything in my power to become a Prefect, and eventually a Head Girl. And then probably stressing out over all the extra responsibilities!!

THINGS I'D PROBABLY AVOID:
Quidditch. I've never been one for group sports. I'm sure I'd cheer for my House Team as much as the next Ravenclaw, but that would be the end of my involvement with the favorite sport of the wizarding world.
Quidditch related clubs, such as the Chudley Cannons Fan Club and the Hans Fan Club. Again, I barely follow sports in real life, and I can't imagine that it would be any different in the wizarding world.
Art Club for Ravenclaw. Ok, I'm reaching here, but bear with me. We know there was an Art Club for Gryffindor, so I'm assuming other Houses had them as well? That being said, I wouldn't join, simply because I can't force myself to make art or be creative on cue. I can only draw/paint/write when inspiration strikes.
Slugs and Bugs Club? Ermm... I think I'll pass.
Rat Race Club. As much as I think rats are adorable, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing them race.
Gobstones. I have terrible aim and I hear that the gobstones spit a putrid liquid at the players when they lose a point? YUCK!

• Free-time at HOL:

HOLLERS;
→ One of my goals for this year is to earn 200+ hoots.

BOOK CLUB;
→ I really want to give it my all in the Book Bingo.
→ I also plan to participate in the Monthly Book Discussions, as well as to submit to the Monthly Writing Prompts.

COMMON ROOMS:
→ I plan to participate in at least one activity in each Common Room, aside from Off to School (because I've already done that!)
→ I hope to be especially active in the Common Rooms which are the least active.

LIBRARY & ART DEPARTMENT:
→ I would like to submit at least one of my creations to either one of these.

NEWSPAPERS:
→ I have already submitted for the next issue of Alte, the Ravenclaw Newspaper.
→ I plan to make at least one submission to each of the newspapers.

QUIDDITCH:
→ I'd love to witness how Quidditch works here at HOL. Who knows? Maybe it's the sport for me after all... (I like trivias!)

SCHOOL-WIDE EVENTS:
→ I've been hearing much about these, and I'm interested in possibly becoming involved once I know more about them. Apparently, Off to School is one of them, so I already have! Hehe!

HOL CHAT
→ One of my goals for this year is to make at least one good friend, and HOL's chat channel is the perfect place for that.

... Did I leave anything out? :P

Robin Blackwood
No broom

Postby Robin Blackwood » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 am

What would I like to do in Hogwarts? Hmm, I am kind of book worm so I would probaly spend many time in the Hogwarts library. Being there among thousands of books containing magic and other interesting things; and no being close to muggle electronics (computers, which are "damaging" every library's look). Then of course Hogwarts grounds outside the castle. I am also animal and nature lover; sitting next to such tree looking into Forbidden forest (It would be hard to persuade me to not go in). And then being outside in the snow, throwing snowballs and carrying flame of fire in the bottle. In muggle world I am not preferring sports, but I am sure that playing quidditch would be great. Wind in your hair, cries of public, speed and so on...

What about HOL? I would like to be as active as possible. Despite enrolling in five classes I would like to be active on the HOL forum. Doing things at HOLerrs and Off to School. In the future I will also look at newspapers and maybe try to write some article; who knows, maybe I am talented magical journalist.

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Sachiko, I love how much effort you put into your answer! I was similar when I was at school, the only hobby I did have was writing.

At Hogwarts
It would be hard to pull myself out of the library. So many books to read in only seven years! I would spend a fair bit of time in the first week or two exploring and finding a warm, quiet hidey-hole to read in.

It’s my head cannon that the Ravenclaw common room is an interesting place to be, I imagine they have a debate club and maybe a little creativity corner. I think I would spend much of my time away from the library there, getting to know people while doing things to avoid the pressure of having to make conversation.

I would explore. Seriously. I’d want to create my own version of the Marauders Map. I’d spend a fair bit of time chattering to portraits while doing it.

As for clubs, I would definitely join the Duelling club and, being the nerdy Ravenclaw I am, probably class associated clubs like gardening and potions club (of course that’s a thing, potions are fascinating!)

On HOL
Book club! Adult me has fallen out of the habit of reading for various reasons, so I’m super excited to have a reason to get back into it. Definitely want to be involved in book discussions and the Book Bingo. I want to try to submit to the writing prompts too, I do love a reason to write.

I have already been dabbling with Hollers and I definitely want to earn as many Hoots as I can over the course of the year! I love the puzzles and the motivation to be creative.

I want to submit to the Alte Newspaper at least twice this year. I think I might try to submit to another houses newspaper too. I definitely want to participate in the Ravenclaw common room and at least introduce myself in the other common rooms and join in any activities I can.

I have already written a book chapter in the Library, but I absolutely want to do more!

I’m not sure about Quidditch, the IRC terrifies me! My mission for the year is to at least attempt to use the chat, even if I’m not ready for Quidditch yet.
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 am

At Hogwarts, I would probably spend most of my time in the common room curled up with a book or in the library studying. I may even go up to the astronomy tower and just lie down and look at the stars, that is, before curfew hit. I wouldn't want to be caught out of bed. I also think I may spend a lot of my time by the greenhouses. Being around plants makes me happy. Then there's the quidditch pitch in which I would be at a lot for practices. Yes, I would absolutely still be playing quidditch because it's only the greatest sport ever.

At HOL, I love the Book Club activities and the regular HOL forum activities. I'll hopefully be organizing at least two of them this year. I also sometimes like to spend some time reffing snitch. Quaffle is fun, but snitch reffing is my absolute favorite out of the two.

I also plan to submit to all of the house newspapers and so far have the Wizarding Times covered and have been approved for submissions to the SerpenTimes and will hopefully be writing a column and some articles/puzzles for the Alte. I'll have to wait to see what the Pawprint comes up with, but I plan on submitting to that as well when the time comes. I also spend my time assisting classes which earns those extra points, too. There are so many opportunities here on HOL, and I want to take advantage of all that it has to offer.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:48 am

At Hogwarts, I would probably be swimming in the Great Lake when the cold is bearable. And a trip and exploration of the castle is also a good thing to do. I think I will also be using the Room of Requirement. And having parties at the Sett with the badgers is cool. I will also be spending a lot of times in the library, doing homework. And after a long day, I might use the Prefects' Bathroom for a nice bubbly bath. Quidditch practices will also be fun for me.

In HOL, I am looking to any activity this year. The newspapers, the HOLLERS, the house activities, the classes, and the IRC with HOLers. This will be a good year. *nods*

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:23 am

My free time at Hogwarts would probably be divided between exploring the Forbidden Forest, searching in the library for fun books to read (and then reading them either there or in my rooms) and playing in the Greenhouses. I most definitely might be seen at the Quidditch pitch, too, playing. Or being a referee. Or laughing. Or something. Having fun anyway. :)

Me? Earn extra points? -_- I wish the Professor points counted for the House Cup but they don't so oh well. In the meantime, though, in addition to teaching three classes and taking five (and doing their respective homeworks) I'll continue playing with Book Club and HOLLERS and Quidditch and making up things for the Games Tent in the Sett and visiting different Houses and see if they have anything fun going on, in addition to seeing whatever activities folks come up with for doing in this, the HOL Forum.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:54 am

Hello again! I LOVE free time because there is always so much fun stuff to do!

With my free time at Hogwarts, I would spend some of my time playing Quidditch in the beater position. I really enjoy Quidditch. I would also love to explore and spend time in the library because I love getting lost in books and seeing beautiful libraries. I would love enjoy helping take care of the animals at Hogwarts because I am a HUGE animal lover. Finally, I would spend time exploring the Forbidden Forest because I love adventure.

With my free time in HOL, I am very excited about participating in Book Club. Sabriel has been an amazing read and I look forward to seeing what else we read this year. I also look forward to doing the reading Bingo Challenge. I look forward to participating in the HOLLERs club and doing all sorts of fun and different activities. I look forward to participating and interacting with all the other wonderful houses. Finally, I look forward to participating in Art Club because I LOVE to be creative in my little craft room.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 pm

As a proud member of HQT, you'd probably expect me to play Quidditch at Hogwarts. But truth be told, I'm not all that much into sports and I'm rather clumsy so I would probably fall off my broom even without the help of Dementors or a professor jinxing my broomstick.
However, I would definitely sing in Professor Flitwick's choir and I might create a band with my student friends. I would also probably hang out in the library quite often and visit the house-elves in the kitchen. Apart from that, I'd just sit in the common room or outside on the school grounds with my friends having fun doing nothing. And play with my cat.

This term at HOL promises many many activities and I'll participate in as many of them as possible. At least the ones that can help me gather some more points! Anything I'm not too lazy to do, really. *grins and takes another nap*
Lovely siggy by Tarma!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Return to “Off to School”