Week 3-Study Spaces

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Week 3-Study Spaces

Postby Sky Alton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 pm

We all have a specific kind of environment we like to study or get creative in. Whether you prefer a desk in a quiet corner or a more communal space where you can discuss assignments with your classmates, place is key.

For 20 beans, design and decorate your ideal study space anywhere in the Castle or grounds, then post it below by the 30th of September. You can either make an image or write us a detailed description. Upload any graphics to a picture sharing website and keep them under 600x600 pixels. If you choose to write instead, please make your description at least 100 words.

If this artsy task inspires you to go exploring, check out the Hol Library and Art Department (with new projects temporarily hosted by the lovely folks at Ravenclaw)
You may not be able to find that secluded desk you were after but both will offer you amazing writing and creative opportunities to earn additional points for your house!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Re: Week 3-Study Spaces

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 am

My favorite place to study in the castle is in the dungeon at my desk. This is the desk that faces the fireplace and the sofas. I love this place because, for the last two years this has been my desk for doing my homework. I can observe a lot of things there and still it is sort of quiet. Other than this place I also love studying in my room when my room mate Maxwell is not in there. My dog Ariel usually sits at the foot of my bed while my rat Brayden loves to sit on my shoulder watching me study.

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 am

I love studying near the lake under the shade of a tree. The sounds of the squid splashing with a cool breeze shaking the leaves? Very peaceful.

Sachiko Murata
No broom

Postby Sachiko Murata » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am

I took to the Sims 3 to create my ideal study space. Here is the result:

Now, I know that you are thinking: "Wait a minute, that's not Hogwarts!"

WRONG! This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Room of Requirement. Or, at least, it's what it would look like when I needed a quiet place to study!

In case you couldn't guess, I am extremely picky when it comes to my study environment.

Firstly, in order to get into a studious mood, I need to be completely alone and without fear of being interrupted. No classmates, pets, nosy portraits or ghosts allowed (looking at you, Peeves!). The Room of Requirement is the perfect place for me, for no one could possibly find it without my permission!

Secondly, to ensure maximum concentration, I need to be in a quiet place, free from all distractions. These include music and snacks, which seem to be essential for a lot of students. In attempt to cater to my needs, I believe that the Room of Requirement would block all outside noise, or at least muffle the sounds of the castle around me. Being a magical room, it could even create a serene ambiance by playing some soothing nature sounds, like bird songs!

Lastly, I need a well-lit, harmoniously decorated and meticulously organized place:
• I am not a fan of bright colors, so I opted for a limited color palette.
• The window would be enchanted, not visible from the outside. I like to imagine that it would open to a secluded part of the Hogwarts grounds!
• I kept the decoration simple, yet elegant. Since unnecessary clutter tends to drive my attention away from what I should be focusing on, I tried to minimize the furniture and decoration.
➝ On the desk there would only be a lamp, a desktop computer (which, sadly, would probably still not work!) and a glass of water (hey, it's important to keep hydrated!).
➝ The drawers would contain all sorts of school supplies, including parchment, quills and ink.
➝ The mirror would help me prepare for presentations, speeches and debates.
➝ The antique armoire, converted into a bookshelf, would store all my books, maps and encyclopedias.
➝ The chaise-longue would allow me to comfortably relax whenever I took a break!
➝ I included some plants because I believe that they create a better environment to work in, in addition to producing cleaner air.
➝ There would also be a small clock near the desk, so that I wouldn't lose track of time.

Robin Blackwood
No broom

Postby Robin Blackwood » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:42 pm

My best imaginary study place is kind of old looking. I would like to learn sitting on comfortable chair, which has no ability to circle around (this is so annoying to me). Then my desk would need to be big enough (if I am learning I am having a million of things; current book, notebook, couple of pencils and coloring pens, more books, clock, maybe something for drinking, and so on). I am always feeling that my desk is too small... And of course there need to be something to light my things.
Then environment; good air and big enough space around me. I would like to have windows on the roof (so I would see blue sky if I would look up). I would love if the room would be looking like traditional wooden room (vintage look).

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:07 pm

I am a bookworm so I love the idea of studying in a room similar to a nice small study. I am not a huge fan of studying with light so I like the darker more somber feeling on this lovely room. I also enjoy art so I like the pictures on the wall. I always have a ton of notebooks and my laptop with my so I like the size of the desk plus the comfortable desk chair. Finally, my father has a similar globe sitting in his desk so it feels a little like home as well.

This room is just perfect for me. :)

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Firstly, apologies for the sketchiness of the picture, it’s been a while since I’ve tried to draw backgrounds!

My ideal study space is a hidden balcony in the Hogwarts library – of course it has reading balconies, it’s Hogwarts. It's tucked away above people’s heads and I have to climb a ladder to reach it. There is a little wood burner tucked in between the bookcases with a pile of cushions and blankets to cuddle up and read on. It’s well lit and warm. I am the kind of person who spreads out several books at once to cross reference and I work far better on the floor than at a desk. I need quiet to work, but silence weirds me out. I don't like being in crowded spaces, it makes me anxious, which in turn makes it difficult to concentrate. The library balcony is the perfect place, I am unlikely to be disturbed, but I am close enough to other students to find myself a study buddy if I need one.

The library has all the books I could need but the advantage of having a balcony hidey-hole is that I’m away from the distraction of the fiction section. The cushions and blankets would keep me comfortable and give me something to fiddle with when I get stressed by the shear amount of homework I have. I would provide the kettle, mug and a little box of teabags, I always like having a hot cup of tea to sip on while I study, but I find snacks are distracting – lucky, since there’s no food allowed in the library.
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Shiloh Adlar
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:20 am

So I took the idea from Sachiko on using the Sims, however I only have the Sims 2 so my study space isn't as elaborate as hers is. I tried to make it as airy as possible because I like the feeling that I'm among the clouds. I also love being around books, so I included a lot of bookshelves, even some books on the rug that I'm currently reading. I added a lot of windows because natural lighting is great for my study space, and of course there are blue plants outside of the windows as well. It makes me feel as if I'm surrounded by nature. If you look further down on the picture, you'll see a ballet bar and a mirror, and near the table that I'm using as a writing desk, you'll see two pairs of pointe shoes because I don't go anywhere without them. I also put plants inside of my study space for a clean breathing environment. It's very relaxing. I could a lot of work done in here.

Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 am

Regarding study spaces, I am mostly to be found in the Badger Library, the cozy library in the Hufflepuff common rooms. There are tables and chairs, but my best spot is the one near a lamp. It also has pillows in it. There is a certain warmth in there that makes it the best plaace to study in the fall and winter time. Magical herbs are also present in each table, motivating and befriending us in every step of the homework.

There are also cups of tea and/or coffee available, ready to be served by Wilbur if you are feeling lazy. One can also discuss in there with fellow badgers, just make sure to do some spells so that your discussion will not be heard by anyone in the room.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 am

For my study place, look for me either in my bedroom, on the bed with all the books around me and stacked here and there. The only difficulty with that is I probably set aside my study books and am reading a story of some kind.

So for STUDY, you can find me badgering Sirius in the Badger library. I particularly like to make that light turn off and on. He's not caught on yet that it is flashing in Morse Code but sooner or later he will.

When I'm actually studying in the library, I'm off in the hidden corner, with a guaranteed non-spill, ever fresh carafe of coffee, surrounded by notepads and ink pens and coloured pens and lots of material to doodle on.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Off to School”