Week 2-Classes

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Week 2-Classes

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 am

Let’s talk classes. Classes are the best way to earn house points and the only way to earn quills and progress up the school. But more than that, they’re fun! And hopefully informative too.

Hol has a wide range of classes. Some are loosely based on subjects you might study at Hogwarts or put a new spin on those subjects, others are based on things Professor McGonagall wouldn’t be caught dead chalking on her board. All are wonderful.

Which of the incredible classes on offer this term are you planning on putting your name down for when class sign-ups open on September 1st? What kind of things will you be thinking about when you make your choices? Will you sign up for 5 classes all in one go? Or take your time? (If you’ve already done it by the time you read this, let us know how it went)

For 10 beans, share your action plan for classes and any advice you have for other people below by the 30th of September. For another 10, you can also tell us which subjects you think you’d enjoy the most at Hogwarts.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Ivorie Windton
No broom

Re: Week 2-Classes

Postby Ivorie Windton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 am

I plan on singing up for:
Ancient Civilizations I'm taking this class because I am a fan of history and find ancient civilization to be fascinating.
Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts I picked this class because I feel having a firm grasp on the Dark Arts can keep you safe.
History of Hogwarts: The Castle Hogwarts is a complex and amazing castle and I can' wait to learn more of its secrets.
Potions for Beginners Potions is one of the most fascinating classes to me and I picked this one because I am new to HOL.
The Battle of Hogwarts I want to learn more about the battle of Hogwarts, because I feel like I have so much to learn.

I plan of signing up for these classes early September and start them right away. As for my plan of action for these classes, I "plan" to try and do one/two assignments each week for all five classes. I'm going to complete all the extra credit that I can as well.
|8" Vine and Dragon Heartstring|iv810|

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:26 am

I will be signing up for:
. Animagus 101
.Advanced Care For Magical Creatures
.Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts
.Norse Myths and Legends
.Dragonology

I am taking these courses because all of them strike my interest. My PLAN is to complete two to three assignments a week. My advice to others is to make sure you put aside time (even if only ten to fifteen mins) everyday if possible to work on assignments. I think my Favorite Class to take at Hogwarts is a tie between Defense Against the Dark Arts and Care of Magical Creatures.
Last edited by Austin Ollivander Black on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image RQT 2017/18

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 am

Career Advice: Planning your Future (I'm 6th year and need this class.)

Apparition License Class (Obviously this one is because I'm 6th years and need this too.)

Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts (Only topic I couldn't do my OWLs on. This essay was to hard for me to do so taking remedial this year and next year planning to take advanced.)

Earth Magic (I'm in 6th and this class is for 6th and 7th year.)

And I was hoping to finish Portable Potions, but I'm up to the third class. (I took the other ones and want to finish the set.)

Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marie Dark » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:01 am

Oh I am so excited and I am not sure if my schedule will allow me to take 5 classes; however, if I can manage at least 3 classes, then they would go as follows:
** Dragonology - the study of these creatures are just mystical and fascinating.
** Dragons - because knowing the different species will assist in Dragonology... I hope :unsure:
** Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts - this will take a full year to finish but I will set aside my off days.

Then I still need to decide if I will change that to: ** Charms - **Marauders 101 - ** knitting the muggle way.... :unsure: :wacko:
Oh I'm so giddy about all of this ... I just cant decide for sure. I will probably update this again tomorrow. lol
OK! So for all of the new students that are ready to take classes. They are very interesting and everyone is very helpful so if you have any questions, someone out here has your answers... I am one that doesn't read or type very fast so I have to put a little more time and effort than most and I think 3 classes will be my max this term. I hope the study groups will be up and running if there are any.... that too might help me. :rolleyes:
Good luck everyone and see you all around the grounds. :D

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 am

I know I'm taking OWLs (and assisting Ancient Civilizations again) so I might want to make an easier/less essay intensive selection! Anyway, I'm thinking of:

two OWL related classes:
-Astronomy
-Charms

two fun Slytherin-taught classes I haven't taken yet:
-Introduction to Sign Language
-Typography Basics
(though despite the names, both seem fairly challenging and I might replace one with something else)

a fun class in the "now for something totally different" category:
-Beyond Hogwarts

and that's my 5!

My normal plans are to limit myself to one "hard" class (i.e. one that requires lots of essay writing or particularly challenging puzzles) and make the rest more doable. And looking at assignments before, I check to see that all the classes are relatively easy to pass - and that nothing has a particularly obnoxious thing that will block me from scoring near 300...

(And what I'd enjoy the most? Probably Parseltongue, but it hasn't been offered here either in the past 5 years or so!)

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 am

Yeah I wish Daphne Marin-Booth was around so she can teach "Makings of a Dark Lord". Or have someone teach that. Sadly I only have two years left in my schooling and she won't be around for a long time if she ever comes back to us. :(

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Marie Dark wrote:Oh I am so excited and I am not sure if my schedule will allow me to take 5 classes; however, if I can manage at least 3 classes, then they would go as follows:
** Dragonology - the study of these creatures are just mystical and fascinating.
** Dragons - because knowing the different species will assist in Dragonology... I hope :unsure:
** Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts - this will take a full year to finish but I will set aside my off days.

Then I still need to decide if I will change that to: ** Charms - **Marauders 101 - ** knitting the muggle way.... :unsure: :wacko:
Oh I'm so giddy about all of this ... I just cant decide for sure. I will probably update this again tomorrow. lol
OK! So for all of the new students that are ready to take classes. They are very interesting and everyone is very helpful so if you have any questions, someone out here has your answers... I am one that doesn't read or type very fast so I have to put a little more time and effort than most and I think 3 classes will be my max this term. I hope the study groups will be up and running if there are any.... that too might help me. :rolleyes:
Good luck everyone and see you all around the grounds. :D
see you on the grounds. Great advice.jtma
Image RQT 2017/18

Rosie Rivers
No broom

Postby Rosie Rivers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:17 pm

The classes i hope to be accepted into are ..
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
Beginners Defence Against The Dark Arts
Famous Witches And Wizards In History
Astronomy and Disney Studies The Classics.
Being a first year, I want to learn as much as i can about the wizarding world. I want to know about magic and the different types of magical creatures that inhabit our world. I want to learn as much as i can about the history of magic. The reason for
wanting to study Astronomy was because i have always been fascinated with space,the moons and stars and how huge space is.
My reason for wanting to take Disney Studies is because i adore anything Disney. Since i was a little girl Disney has been special to me. After reading about the class i just have to try to be accepted.
My only advice about classwork is not to procrastinate. I would always say," i have plenty of time left before this is due,i will do it tomorrow." Before i knew it, i had to hand it in the next day and had loads more work to do.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:46 am

I think I've narrowed at least two down --

Anything by Professor Gustavo Flores is awesome. I highly recommend his Dance class (Dance Academy: Ballet). Since I've already taken it, I plan to take his Care of Magical Pets class.

Survival by Gail Allen looks interesting. We've already discussed the uses of some common items for water filtration...

But there are so many superb classes offered! Narrowing them down to five is so difficult . How lovely. :D

ps - If you want to learn to Knit, do take Cosmo's Knitting the Muggle Way. If she could teach me how to knit ... she can teach anyone. :ph34r:
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:51 am

I've somehow managed to narrow down the list to five that I'm really interested in taking this term.

• Advanced Care of Magical Creatures
• Marvellous Musical Theatre - Act 1
• Occlumency
• Steampunk 101
• Survival

It was really difficult narrowing things down, but I tried to arrange my course load based on two things. I tried to have a few classes of canon subjects and a few classes of things that just generally seemed interesting to me. I also tried not to take too many writing heavy classes, as I'm already trying to fit HOL classes in with university again this year. My tip would just be to take advantage of any free time to try to get some parts of assignments done so that come end of the month you're not scrambling and can turn in your best work. Just as a personal preference, I also like to take classes that give different options for the assignments so that I can pick and choose to my strengths sometimes and challenge myself other times!

I think at Hogwarts I'd really enjoy Defense Against the Dark Arts and Potions, since I really want to know how to defend myself and I'm really interested in how diverse substances can come together to create something with entirely new properties. Also, come third year, I think that I'd choose to take Ancient Runes and Arithmancy since those two are both topics that I'd love to learn more about, although all of the electives sound quite interesting.

Star Andromeda Black
No broom

Postby Star Andromeda Black » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 am

I have chosen the classes that I want to take...
Apparition License Class
Career Advice: Planning Your Future
Earth Magic
Puzzles 101
Treasure Hunt

And try to get my OWLs down.

Siggy by ME!!!

"We're given a code to live our lives by. We don't always follow it, but it's still there." `Gary Oldman, Actor ~Sirius Black

|| Star Andromeda Black || st941 || 3rd Year || Hufflepuff ||

Kezia Natasya
No broom

Postby Kezia Natasya » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Okay. Classes. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I decided to mostly focusing on the first (Autumn) term, just like last year. Because in real life, I'm already busy because of school. But it's fun! I actually like to be active in school clubs and organizations. Anyway, I was thinking of taking these classes :
- Beginner Defense Against the Dark Arts
- Transfiguration
- Career Advice : Planning your Future
Since real-life school work is already piling up high, I think I might only focusing on 3 subjects! But I'm considering to take these classes too :
- Animagus 101
- Mathematics : Arithmancy The Muggle Way
My goal is to finish one or two assignments each week! Let's just see how it will turns out.
Last year, I took D.A.D.A. and Arithmancy too. But since I was really busy in and out of school, I only got quills for Charms, The Dark Arts, and Potions For Beginners. Among the five classes I took, my favorite one is Charms. I don't really understand why, but I just really like to learn about spells and charms, talking about my wand, researching about careers, even making an essay talking about how to survive with, well, basically charms. It's really fun! Also, I like how Professor Tarma giving me feedbacks! You guys should try to take Charms too, if you haven't. ;)
"In diversity there is beauty and there is strength."

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 am

I'm finding it hard to narrow it down! I know I can't do too many classes, because I have too much Muggle Studying to be getting on with. I'm trying to limit myself to two, but it's proving difficult. I know I want to do Ancient Runes, but I'm torn between Dance Academy: Ballet, Steampunk 101 and Norse Myths and Legends.
My plan is to do an assignment or two each week and try not to do more than one essay assignment at once. I'm going to try to do extra credit in my free time and not stress too much about it. My real life work is pretty heavy so I have to remember to give that priority (sometimes!). I'm trying to go for classes where there are a few creative options because I get less of those in my real life degree and it makes it more interesting.

If my Hogwarts letter had come when it was supposed to, I think my favourite class would probably be Charms because the effects are instant and it's the most obviously magical right from the off. I think a lot of it would be to do with liking Professor Flitwick too. I think I'd like Transfiguration too, because there seems to be a lot of theory in there and I find that fascinating. I would have hated having Snape for potions, I'm far too sensitive for mean teachers!
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Saene DeCobra
No broom

Postby Saene DeCobra » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 am

I've so far signed up for Broom making and Survival. Also, I'll be taking my OWLs. I haven't decided what else I might take. I'm eyeing Treasure Hunt and Puzzles 101.

...I kind want to make my own class now. I'm not really sure what it would be about, but I'm so intrigued by the idea. ^_^
"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have live at all – in which case, you fail by default."
-J.K. Rowling

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:28 am

Just dropping by to tell those of you yet to check the date that we're officially in term time :D. You can go sign up for those classes you've been eagerly anticipating. Learn, earn points and most of all, have fun.

Welcome to Hol 2017-2018
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 am

Woot! It's officially the start of the term. I've signed up for:

Beyond Earth: The Aliens of Sci-Fi
Beyond Hogwarts
Muggle Studies for Beginners
Poisons
Steampunk 101

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Tinderblast

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Even though I have the privilege of deliberating as class applications roll in, it still takes me until September 1st to make a final decision on classes. My priority is to try to take classes that I didn't get to take in past terms. This term, those classes are Places and Magic, Marvellous Musical Theatre - Act 1, and Magical Creatures Lore I. Autumn term is good time to consider signing up for a full year class to ensure you get to experience the entire class. I do keep an eye on new classes as well - The Her in Hero, Occlumency, and Survival all look great. Having taught my fair share of classes, I know that there is usually some minor kink to work out the first term, so I don't like to take brand new classes right away. Look out for me next term though! I am more likely to take new classes if all the lessons and assignments are already available and I've also registered for Magic on Ice: Figure Skating and Typography Basics taught by my fellow Slytherin professors!

On or around the first of every month, I start drafts in my email for all of my classes. I read through each lesson at least once before I begin narrowing down assignment choices (if I have choices). Sometimes I will do the straightforward assignments (fill-in-the-blanks, multiple choice) as I read the lesson. I aim to send in my homework in the first half of the month, but if there are creative options that require more effort, I will take my time with those.

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:51 pm

It was SO HARD to narrow down my class choices down to just 5. It took a lot of time to figure out which way I wanted to go.

I ended up signing up for:
Norse Myths and Legends
Kennilworthy's Kitchen
The Her in Hero
Magical Greek Mythology
Steampunk 101

I figured I would start the term out with classes that I really like and found interesting to me before I started taking some Hogwarts classes. I have already been accepted into 4 of the classes and I am working on going through the lessons right now to keep ahead.

My favorite classes are anything that has to do with food, reading, or mythology so I was excited to see classes being offered on those lovely subjects Those are a few of my favorite things. I have already been enjoying all my classes!
Last edited by Vanessa Tilley on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sachiko Murata
No broom

Postby Sachiko Murata » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Let me begin by saying that I am so excited for my first year here at HOL!
I thought long and hard about which classes I would like to take this term, and previewed every single class website in order to make an informed decision. After some deliberation, I chose to avoid year-long classes, for I did not wish to bite more than I could chew. I also made a conscious effort to take classes taught by Professors or Student-Teachers of all different Houses.

1. The following are the classes that I signed up for:

Auror Training Level One: This is my Gryffindor class. I was immediately drawn to it due to its meticulous structure and organization. As a chronically high achiever, I am also greatly motivated by the fact that it is a heavy training program, taught in three separate levels. Lastly, I am intrigued by the prospect of becoming an elite unit officer within the Department of Magical Law Enforcement of the Ministry of Magic. It must be fascinating to investigate crimes related to the Dark Arts!

Broom Making: This is my Hufflepuff class. Initially, I was not sure if I should take it. My reasoning was that the course is traditionally geared towards sixth and seventh year students, while I am on my very first year. In the end, however, I simply could not resist its syllabus. Brooms are an essential means of magical transportation, yet many of us take them entirely for granted! I am really looking forward to learning more about them and how they are made.

Famous Witches and Wizards in History: This is my Ravenclaw class. I picked it, first and foremost, because it is taught by Professor Polaris Black. You see, I was very interested in her two other subjects: The History of Witchcraft and Magic in Famous Mysteries. However, they are both full-year courses and, as explained above, I thought it best to avoid that sort of commitment for the time being. Famous Witches and Wizards in History only lasts one term, but it manages to retain a lot of the depth and intricacy that attracted me to the other two courses. Additionally, I believe that, as a witch, it is essential that I learn as much as possible about the great names in the History of Magic.

Journey of the Hero: This is my Slytherin class. It instantly appealed to the idealist in me with its opening questions: What exactly makes a person a hero? and How do you become a hero? Furthermore, it is evident that the course is extremely well-researched and developed, for Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis actually wrote a College-level term paper on the subject. I am especially looking forward to the class project, which is to follow the journey of a hero or heroine of our choice. There are so many different possibilities!

Dance Academy: Ballet - This is my Active class. I picked it because, as much as I would like to spend the entire semester sitting in the library with my face burred in a book, that is simply not healthy! Besides, all my other subjects are quite content-heavy, and I will likely need an activity to help me clear my mind. Ballet seemed like the perfect choice for me, for it combines movement with music, while also being mentally and physically demanding.

2. My plan of action and advice:

• At the moment, I am extremely motivated. Nevertheless, being the perfectionist that I am, I know that I will need to pace myself in order not to burn out. As such, my plan is to complete a lesson every 5 days. If my calculations are correct, that should allow me to start my award collection at the end of the term, while also preventing me from becoming exhausted through overwork.

• I'll quote Thomas Edison, an exceptional Muggle and one of the world's greatest inventors: "There is no substitute for hard work." Believe in yourself, cultivate a success mindset, overcome procrastination, work hard, do not make excuses and persevere - this is a Ravenclaw's advice to academic success!

3. Favorite subjects at Hogwarts: I imagine that I would enjoy most, if not all subjects taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Out of the core classes, Charms would likely be my favorite, closely followed by Transfiguration and Potions. As for the electives, I would definitely love Ancient Runes. I can see myself signing up for Arithmancy and Divination as well.

Return to “Off to School”