Week 1-What Brings you Here?

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Reggy Faraday
No broom

Re: Week 1-What Brings you Here?

Postby Reggy Faraday » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:24 pm

The name's Reggy! Originally I'd found HOL in middle school through accidentally stumbling across one of the class websites. In high school, I had a brief fling with signing up, but then, y'know. High school happened and I got busy. But I'm out of school now (for at least a little while...!) and can better commit to an online school of magic. Also I'm less shy as I've gotten older, so putting myself out there in IRC and activities has gotten easier. :D

That said, I'm looking forward to taking classes (and EARNING POINTS \o/) again, and hanging out in the library with all y'all's friendly faces. :)
Hufflepuff second year :: re1080

"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Shiloh. I found HOL back in August of 2012 when I was looking up Harry Potter stuff online. I was still going through a kind of rough patch at the time, and I had stopped doing a lot of the things that I loved. My dad one day handed me the first Harry Potter book and we read together like my brother and I used to do when I was younger and the books first came out. It really helped a lot and brought up many good memories for me. I wanted to be more involved in the world, and I knew there had to be others or something out there that could do that for me, and that was when I came across HOL.

I think this year I am most looking forward to being back full time at HOL again, student teaching, running the different activities I'm planning with others, and meeting all the new people that join. I'm also excited for the activities that will be coming up that I'll be participating in. This summer has been amazing, and I'm sure it will only get better as the school year begins.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Saene DeCobra
No broom

Postby Saene DeCobra » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 am

I'm not sure how I found the website in the first place. I maybe have just been searching for stuff. I know that I had to wait for awhile because I missed the signups. Then I took classes often. Then I stopped for some reason, probably school. Anyways, I've been looking as stuff I've made and a lot of it was for classes on HOL, because it made me work on stuff and finish it. So I thought I might try some more classes this year. Pretty much, I need some inspiration and challenges. We'll see how I do with this on top of my real life classes.
"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have live at all – in which case, you fail by default."
-J.K. Rowling

Brighid Katz
No broom

Postby Brighid Katz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 am

Hi. I'm Brighid Katz. I'm a second year Hufflepuff. I joined HOL on 2011 I honestly forget how I stumbled over here. It was probably one of the following three options: (A) saw it referenced on a Livejournal community search, (B) was looking for a Hogwarts school-style rpg website I remembered trying to join in high school but then fell off the internet because of high school drama and stumbled on HOL instead, or (C) saw a link on Tumblr. I think A or B is probably the most likely to be true.

I love the class offerings and the community here which is what keeps me coming back, even though I have lately been struggling for quite a few years to graduate to third year (to be honest, i also kinda like the fact that it's ok to take several years to "level up" here).

I'm not sure what I'm most looking forward to this year. But I'm sure it'll be exciting whatever comes!
Brighid Katz (br1070)|2nd Year Hufflepuff|Member of: HOL Bookclub, HOLTS, HOLLERS
Wand: 11.00" Willow, Unicorn Tail Hair|Personal Motto: Ex amicitia familia = From Friendship Family
~MY HOL Profile~

Rosie Rivers
No broom

Postby Rosie Rivers » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:28 am

My name is Rosie Rivers and i am a first year Hufflepuff. I have known about HOL for many years but ill health prevented me from joining. Thankfully i am finally healthy again and can't wait to join in as many classes and clubs that i can manage. I have already bought September's book and i can wait to get started.

Ivorie Windton
No broom

Postby Ivorie Windton » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello everyone, I am Ivorie. I found HOL back in 2008 and have been a first year ever since. LOL. Well I should say that I created my account back in 2008 and have not been active. I have come back this year to hopefully be an active member of my house and earn lots of points now that I have the time. I found HOL after a luck search for Hogwarts RPG's I believe. I can't wait to sign up for classes in a week. :)
|8" Vine and Dragon Heartstring|iv810|

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:20 am

I joined because I wanted to learn more stuff, which I have over the years. Some of the things that I have learned here is how to speak nicer to people even when it feels like a lot of the people higher up in the food chain here are so mean to you, and how to not give up when people make it so hard for you to deal with them. I'm thankful for these lessons, because it will help me deal with people in real life that also give me a hard time, for instance the people at my school.
Last edited by Bull J. Johnson on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Limine and I'm a Ravenclaw Professor! Back in 2007 I found Harry Potter trivia on a different website. Through the people I met there I was introduced to an online quidditch game through another Harry Potter website in 2009. I absolutely loved playing that quidditch and I met some truly awesome people. One day I met someone who played quidditch here on HOL and she showed a group of us HOL quidditch. I knew I had to join because it combined the trivia I used to play with the quidditch I was currently playing. Due to various reasons I didn't join HOL right away, but I eventually found my way back and joined during the summer of 2010. I immediately fell in love with quidditch and before my first year was up I was captaining the Slytherin Quidditch Team. While I was quite shy back in the day and didn't talk to many people outside of those I considered my little HOL family, I've gotten a lot more involved throughout the years. Despite how crazy busy my real life has been getting lately, I can't seem to completely leave HOL! I finally completed my seven years and graduated this summer and I'm super excited to be a professor now. :)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:07 pm

It occurs to me that I should probably actually contribute!

I’m sky, proud 5th year Gryffindor, over-enthusiastic prefect, duster of the shelves in the Hol Bookclub and (due to some mysterious misadventure I still can’t quite explain) unofficial holder of the Staff and Pom-Poms of Productivity. If you’re struggling to get something done, find me in chat and I will gladly encourage/bribe/prod you until it’s completed.

I heard about Hol while hanging out on a rope swing the night before flying out to the Czech Republic for an international conference on accessible technology (seriously). It was a very Harry Pottery event as I received a Gryffindor scarf (which I insisted on wearing in ridiculously hot weather just cause) and that ended up sparking a quest to find out what all the houses were called in as many different languages as possible. When we got back to the UK, my friend sent around the link to Hol and a couple of us waited impatiently until sign ups opened on August 18th 2013.

This year I’m excited to continue facilitating (and participating in) fun activities for all and being in as many places at once as possible. (And finally earning over 2000 points… must not forget that!)
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello all! I'm Aurelia West, a Slytherin fourth year and Promising Student. I first came across HOL while searching for Harry Potter online schools to get involved in and HOL seemed like the one that had the most to offer and the best community. After completing my first year back in 2011-2012, I took a four-year long break while I was in high school, but I couldn't stay away for very long and I yearned to complete my HOL education so I came back around May of last year. I've just finished up my first full term back and I couldn't be happier, so hopefully no matter how hectic my RL may become I'll still maintain some sort of presence here and eventually graduate! This term I'm incredibly excited to help plan some fun activities and take real interesting classes and hopefully pop into all of the house common rooms every now and then.

Patrick James
No broom

Postby Patrick James » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Patrick, proud Gryffindor, a Third Year, and a member of the GQT! I found this amaaazing website while I was wading through the internet for Harry Potter RPG's. The problem with most of the HP RPG websites are that they did not feel real enough for me. When I found HOL on a bright summers day in July 2010, I immediately knew that this was the website of my dreams, and indeed it is! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to consistently stay on this website for the entire school year, over the past few years. However, I always came back in the summer for the various activities (especially Summer Quidditch League because I absolutely love Quidditch, even though I'm not that good at it :P ) and this past year was one of those rare times where I've managed to stay on for the entire year AND move up a year, albeit not as actively as I would've hoped to be. Hopefully I can continue to stay on as I enter my first year at university, as this phase of my life is going to throw its own challenges at me from all fronts!

Shadow Gaunt
No broom

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm

I am somebody who LOVES Harry Potter and is a very big Potterhead. Since none of my friends are Potterheads (I don't know anyone in my grade who's a Potterhead) I searched online for Harry Potter communities and found HOL! This is my second year here, although I did not graduate last year I will most definitely graduate this year!
Shadow Gaunt
"You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you've got enough nerve."-Ginevra Wesley
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Kezia Natasya
No broom

Postby Kezia Natasya » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi! I'm Kezia Natasya. I found HOL about a year ago, around the last few weeks of the Spring term. There wasn't much time since I was really, really late for the registration, so I came back the next Fall term.
I stumbled upon HOL from an account I added in a chat messenger app called 'Line'. That account shares the newest Harry Potter informations and such. That day, the account shared something about "Hogwarts Online Schools That You Can Actually Take". For someone who has been waiting for their Hogwarts letter forever, (also, the new Pottermore update with no games and discovering stories upsets me.) I was really really excited! It's kinda ridiculous how I checked all the websites.
At first, I registered for Hogwarts Is Here, HEXRPG, and HOL. Since HiH was somewhat recovering and under maintenance or something, and HOL was at the end of the term, focused on HEXRPG for a while. But no kidding, you must know the feeling of liking something so much that it eventually bores you, right? That's what I felt. So when the class registration in HOL has opened, I quickly registered for five classes, and long story short, I earned three quills! In real life it was a really busy term, though. So I eventually stop checking my HEXRPG account and focusing on HOL classes, and it was very fun! The next term I don't really do much, since I was really busy about school in real life.
Ta da! Now I'm here, waiting for the next Spring term to start. I'm really excited! :) :) (I guess I just get excited a lot. Haha)
"In diversity there is beauty and there is strength."

Vanessa Tilley
No broom

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Hello! I'm Vanessa and I am a first year Ravenclaw. I found HOL from just random searching. I had been re-reading the Harry Potter series and thought it would be fun to see if there was a website out there somewhere that would be teaching Hogwarts classes. HOL was the first website that popped up when I searched I was very happy! It was everything I hoped for and more.

I am looking forward to participating this year and earning points for my wonderful Ravenclaws! Go Eagles!!! I am also looking forward to making some great new friends :)

Return to “Off to School”