Week 1-What Brings you Here?

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Week 1-What Brings you Here?

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 am

Everyone who goes to Hogwarts gets there in more or less the same way. Letter arrives, train pulls into platform, boat across the lake.

But it isn’t quite the same for us HOLers. We all have to find our very unique way here. We all come for reasons that could be very different from your average ickle firsty, trying to work out how to do up those silver fastenings on their new cloak.

So, who are you and what brought you here? Was it an easy journey or did you get lost somewhere along the way? What are you most looking forward to during this new year at HOL? Share by posting below by Sept 30th and earn yourself 10 beans.

You can respond to this however you like: with an introduction, an anecdote or even a piece from the point of view of your ‘Hol Character’ (if you have one). Just remember if you decide to introduce yourself, it’s best to steer clear of any personal information like your real name or the name of your town.

Let’s get started! :D

S
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Week 1-What Brings you Here?

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 am

I'm Tarma. Hi. :)

A fellow writer in a Pern RPG (which had been approved by Anne McCaffrey herself!) told me about HOL. I was chatting with him (James Summers, Slytherin Prefect) the fall of 2003, about having just 'discovered' this series of books, something about a wizard named Harry Potter and he said to check out HOL Hogwarts. I came here, liked what I saw -- and was too late to join. (Signups used to be twice a year; the window opened late summer for a few weeks and then again in mid-winter.) So when the December window opened, I came in and signed up!

What am I looking forward to most this new year? Lots of things. Perusing the large assortment of classes which will be presented for us to take in the coming Term and year. Suffering through the process of having to narrow them down to JUST FIVE. Reading homeworks sent in for the classes I teach. (I've had some of the most hilarious and/or inspired homework answers for the classes I teach and always I look forward to reading what new mischief folks can come up with.) Chatting with folks on IRC. Oh, there is a lot I look forward to. ^_^
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

Howdy my name is austin. I found hol in June of 17' when my friend got me to start reading the books again as I had only read book one through the first few chapters of Order of the Phoenix. Then I said I wish thete were classes. When my friend said they have classes and told me about HOL. I have been hooked ever since...This year I am looking forward to taking more classes this year, hoping/trying to make the Ravenclaw Quidditch Team, and make new friends.
Image RQT 2017/18

Pandora Mirkwood
No broom

Postby Pandora Mirkwood » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello, I am Pandora and I am a proud Hufflepuff ^_^ I found HOL just yesterday (!!!) when it was posted about by someone in Hogwarts Running Club. It sounded like so much fun and the time commitment flexible, so I knew that I'd be able to fit it into my schedule. I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with a cup of tea digging around the site, and reading through the classes thoroughly and choosing what to enrol in. I know it's going to be a tough decision and I'm totally in awe of all the witches & wizards who have spent so many hours creating and coming together to make this a reality! x

Prof. Zenix James
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Zenix James » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello all,

My name is Zenix James, most people call me Zee for short. I have been on this wonderful site for many, many years, I believe since 2005. I am a member of the truly amazing house of Gryffindor where I have been many things over the course of these past long few years: Paw Print Editor, Co-Captain of the Quidditch team, a Prefect, a pineapple, revolutionary member of the Battle of Pizza vs. Sushi, Den leader, Summer Camp Leader, a squirrel...I'm sure there's more, but I forget. Right when I was going to become a fifth year and prepare for my OWLs, I decided that I did not want to take the OWLs. So, I developed a pair of classes revolving around Muggles and the Wizarding World and turned professor instead of student, something I hope to accomplish again this year.

See ya around!
Born This Way| Music <3|Book Lover

Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo.

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 pm

My name is Will Lestrange and I'm a fifth year Slytherin Prefect. As most people who know me probably know, I joined HOL specifically to play Quidditch (which I have indeed done - at all four positions) after Quidditch elsewhere on the Internet died out in a few other places.

This year, I'm looking forward to seeing Slytherin success everywhere I can find it, along with welcoming awesome new people into the House (as well as having fun in the rest of HOL as well). However, with this year comes something I've been dreading almost since my joining date... OWLs. The essays are more intense than anything I had to do for classes - and hopefully I'll come out in one piece!

Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marie Dark » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 am

Austin Ollivander Black wrote:Howdy my name is austin. I found hol in June of 17' when my friend got me to start reading the books again as I had only read book one through the first few chapters of Order of the Phoenix. Then I said I wish thete were classes. When my friend said they have classes and told me about HOL. I have been hooked ever since...This year I am looking forward to taking more classes this year, hoping/trying to make the Ravenclaw Quidditch Team, and make new friends.

I am so glad you enjoy HOL.... See you soon. JTMA

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 am

Hello! I am Sirius, a seventh year badger prefect. I think it was the buzz of Pottermore beta version that brought me to Harry Potter stuff online. I was most excited about the classes offered here and stayed for the reason that roleplaying in a character is not the norm in the site. It made things less pressured. For this year, I want to enjoy every day of it since this is my last student year. I am looking forward to NEWTs and to enjoy things with fellow badgers and HOLers.

Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marie Dark » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 am

Greetings and Salutations Everyone!!!!! I was introduced to HOL by two people. (Not sure which one first....lol) I have loved the HP Books since the first publication. I continue to have this love for our Wizarding world and I enjoy making new friends. I am very excited about the next school year and look forward to meeting new friends. I currently reside in the United States, so my posts may be at some odd hours. Hope to hear from you soon. Enjoy the rest of our Summer break. :D :P :wub:

Kendra Givens
No broom

Postby Kendra Givens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 am

Hi Everybody! I'm Kendra Givens, and I'm a second year Ravenclaw Reserve Prefect. I'm also a member of the Ravenclaw Quidditch Team (woo!). I pretty much stumbled upon HOL this past March because I had just started considering rereading the books as they sat on my shelf untouched for a long time and was once again becoming very passionate about my Ravenclaw identity. I spent some time looking for websites where I could really feel like I was taking classes and learning things, and then I discovered that HOL had that PLUS houses PLUS a chat feature so you could actually build relationships with people (and I definitely have). I love it here and I'm so excited I found it and all of you!
His name is Sir Floofington Puffpuff III

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 am

Hey everyone,

I'm Kim, a fourth year Gryffindor Head Prefect. I joined HOL after I was looking for information on Herbology online, and ended up in the HOL Library. After I joined, I felt right at home.

I am the co-leader of HOLLERS, a club on this HOL forum and I am a student teacher for Potions and HOL 101: An Orientation (be sure to take it if you are new to HOL).

See you around!

Sierra Potter
No broom

Postby Sierra Potter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am

Hello. My name's Sierra Potter and I'm an ordinary third year Gryffindor. I found HOL in 2013, I think, and instantly signed myself up. I believe that was around the time where I was so crazy about Harry Potter and the updates of Pottermore was so slow I couldn't help but start looking for another Potter-y website. And I stumbled upon this website.

This year, I'm looking forward to taking new classes, learning a lot of stuff in there (hey, maybe it'd be useful later!), and making friends with people around here. But I guess the last one will be hard to realize because of my shyness.
Cheers, Sierra.

Hanna Inari
No broom

Postby Hanna Inari » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi!

I don't really remember how I found HOL but probably I googled something about magic schools online in English. I already knew lots of such projects in my native language so I was interested if there are any English-speaking communities like that. Or maybe I was searching for a roleplay game based on Hogwarts in English. As far as I remember, the results of the search weren't satisfying and HOL was one of those which I liked and understood.

Even though I registered here instantly, for a long time I didn't try to read forums and post on them much. For two years I was occasionally visiting HOL, trying to understand what was going on here. I remember the feeling of seeing so much on the forum and thinking that it should be very difficult to reach the level when I'll be able to browse here freely. I even took the Introduction course but it didn't help much, even though it gave me some useful information. On the third year, I finally found the Sett and took part in a summer activity and that's when my real participation in HOL life started.

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:25 pm

hello! I found my way here when Pottermore stopped being the interactive site I loved, and I couldn't be happier!

I'm really looking forward to my second year of teaching classes, as well as some of the activities we have planned!!!!

Astra Carling
No broom

Postby Astra Carling » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi, I'm Astra, going into my second year as a Ravenclaw.
A few friends told me about this site a while ago, and I needed to be able to get my WW life back on track after Pottermore stopped being a fun interactive site, and the magical school I've been attending all but died.
Last year was really nice, and I'm hoping to make some friends this year. I'm really shy, and hoping that the magical world will be friendlier than the muggle one.

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 am

Hello everyone!!

I'm Professor Gustavo Flores from Ravenclas House!! I joined HOL back in the year 2007, so it's been a prrety long time now, but I can tell I have been very, very happy in this site! Everything happened because after finishing reading An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World by Fionna Boyle, right at the end there was a list of Harry Potter related sites and of course HOL was listed there! The description of the site caught my attention so much that I decided to join and the rest is history! 10 years have passed but they have been wonderful.

In HOL I teach several classes, I am very proud of my House, and I enjoy the HOL Book Club quite a lot! Those are the activities I like the most, and in this upcoming year I expect to participate more in House related activities and HOL wide activities.

I am very excited!! Nice to meet you all! :)

Arlynn Cassidy
No broom

Postby Arlynn Cassidy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:36 am

Hi! I'm arlynn Cassidy. I am a Hufflepuff third year. I found Hol while googling and surfing the internet. At first I was just curious of what the site was about, but the amazing people here make it so I come back again and again. I'm pretty quiet, but everyone around here are great and make me proud to be apart of this site. I can't wait for the classes, I love learning knew things and there are so many intriguing subjects.

Sachiko Murata
No broom

Postby Sachiko Murata » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:03 am

Hello everyone! こんにちは!

My name is Sachiko, and I'm a 25 year old Japanese witch.

I have been a Harry Potter fan ever since I can remember. One of my most vivid literary memories was reading the 7th chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (The Sorting Hat) when I was about 10 years old. The description of the Great Hall with its four long tables and enchanted ceiling covered with floating candles was nothing short of... magical! I have been hooked every since, and have never stopped indulging in the books, audio-books, films, video-games, and the occasional fanfic!

I love to role-play and have been an active member of several Harry Potter online communities and chat-rooms over the years. Unfortunately, as the time went by, said communities' members slowly dwindled and their activity nearly stagnated. In some cases, I witnessed them close or suddenly disappear. In others, I held on for as long as I could and, in the end, it was with a heavy heart that I, too, ended up leaving.

I have been searching for a new place to belong for a while now, and I must say that I have very high expectations for HOL! I remember coming across this website several times, many years ago. Unfortunately, I was never able to join since students only used to be allowed to sign up twice a year, before the start of each term.

I love that HOL aims to create a realistic environment by only allowing students to graduate after being a part of this community for seven whole years! I also appreciate having a limit of 5 courses per semester, which levels the playing field for those who do not have a lot of time in their hands. HOL's currency, the beans, seems quite well thought out as well. I especially love the fact that they are not easily acquired, making them all the more special and valuable.

Partaking in Hogwarts classes has always been one of my favorite things to do, and I am very excited to see that this school offers a wide variety of subjects each term. It's great to see that, while some of these courses have already become part of HOL's history, others are brand new! I am also looking forward to discovering and participating in other activities and events, such as the yearly Quidditch Championship. I've heard that there are a few active clubs, as well as a newspaper. Is that so? Lastly, I am looking forward to interacting with my fellow Ravenclaws in our common room!

Zai Eln
No broom

Postby Zai Eln » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 am

I was doing an online search about Harry Potter and stumbled on this site. Tripped right over it, fell down and lost my hat, then as I tumbled down the hill my belt ripped. Im sure you can guess the rest. But I am here, all limbs attached and in one piece, all clothing articles mended and good as new.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson-

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Hello, hello!

Rowan here, First year Ravenclaw. I stumbled across HOL for the first time in 2007. At the time I foolishly poked it warily with a stick before deciding it wasn't what I was looking for. I spent a few years getting my Harry Potter fill from roleplay and Pottermore back when it first launched. Then sometime around 2013/14, I rediscovered HOL. I had initially been looking for a new roleplay site that was a bit more flexible than the one I used to be part of, but I stumbled on the classes here instead and thought why not? I spent a very happy term dabbling in classes and poking around the forums before my mental health collapsed and any commitment to anything became overwhelming. I had a different account back then which has since been deactivated. In June this year, a momentous moment arrived, my Potter obsessed baby sister turned 11. So of course, to assuage her disappointment at the lack of a Hogwarts letter, I started telling her about HOL and it telling her convinced myself to come back. So here I am.
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Return to “Off to School”