Chat Parties Info

Moderators: Sky Alton, Aurelia West

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Chat Parties Info

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 am

Did someone say party? Yes! We’ll be having several chat parties in HOL’s dedicated IRC chat. They’re a chance for everyone to kick back, relax, play some games and get to know the HOL community better. Read on to find out where, when and how to join us.

Our fifth and final party is scheduled for Saturday the 30th of September between 7 PM and 12 A.M Hol-time (which is British Standard Time). If you need to work out what that is in your time-zone, I suggest using an online time-zone converter. I’ll edit and bump this thread to remind people.

We’ll be playing games every hour, on the hour so if you can’t make the start, drop in whenever and join in. Same if you can only make it for a while-that’s perfectly fine. I’ll be posting explanations and rules for some of the games in replies to this thread so you can read up ahead of time.

We have our own designated channel: #offtoschool. This will be moderated by a channel operator (someone with an @ sign in front of their username) for the duration. After that, it’d be great if everyone could move back to the main #hol channel to continue chatting. Everyone will be expected to comply with HOL rules and in particular the IRC guidelines at all times. If you're new to IRC, please double check those beforehand and remember to use a variant of your HOL name when signing in.

Now, how do you join us? The simplest way is to use the form on the HOL Home page which will give you instant access to our IRC network via CGI. You can either join #hol by simply putting in your HOL name in the ‘Nick’ box and hitting join or you can join our channel directly by changing the channel from #hol to #offtoschool. If you visit #hol first, you can join other channels by typing /join and then the name of the channel with the # sign in front (e.g. /join #offtoschool). As I said earlier, our dedicated channel is only for the events-if you want to chat at other times, #hol is the place for you.

CGI is only one of many clients and if you’re interested in chatting regularly, you may want to look into a more user friendly one (whether it’s a web client like Mibbit or a desktop one like mIRC). There is plenty of advice on this in the HOL handbook and on the forums.

For a lot of the games I’ll need to share cards and bits of in-game info with you via the ‘P2P’ (person to person) feature which is IRC’s version of a private message. If you’d like to familiarise yourself with that ahead of time just find me in chat (I go by Sky at all times) and I’ll be happy to be your Guinea pig.

Hope to see you on the 30th!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Re: Chat Parties Info

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Remember that our first chat party is this Saturday (the 26th) from 6 PM to 12 AM Hol-time!

During the party, we’ll be playing (drum Roll please)….

20 Questions

And before you say ‘but Sky, we know this one! Boring!’ Just wait, there are a few differences.

To start the game, two people will be picked at random, a thinker and a High Inquisitor.

The thinker will be asked to think of an object, person or animal from the Harry Potter universe.

The High Inquisitor will ask them up to 20 yes or no questions (for example ‘is it a magical creature?’) to try to narrow down what they’re thinking of. Catch is, they can’t make any guesses!

It will be up to everyone else to guess based on the answers to the questions asked.

Each person will be limited to two guesses per round. Please put (1) or (2) before your guess depending on how many you’ve made so far.

Providing you’re not the Thinker or Inquisitor, you can guess at any time but remember, no more than two guesses! Use them wisely.

If you guess correctly, you can choose whether to be the thinker or the inquisitor for the next round.

If you guess within 5 questions, you get 3 points
If you guess between 6 and 15 questions, you get 2 points
If you guess between 16 and 20 questions, you get 1 point

The winner is the person with the highest number of points after 5 rounds (or when we get bored)

Gurdyroots to Gurdyroots

The classic game of Apples to Apples but Harry Potter Style!

I will P2P (private message) everyone 5 things, people or places from the Harry Potter universe. For example: Dobby, hippogriff, locket, Hagrid’s Hut and Professor Sprout.

I will then give you all a description or describing word. For example sparkly

You will then have a minute to decide which of your nouns best (or worst) fits the description. You will then share with everyone else. For instance ‘Sparkly Dobby’.

The winner will be the person who the judge (me for the first round) thinks has the funniest, most random or best combination of thing and description. They will win a point, as well as taking over as judge for the next round. Whoever has the most points when I call time wins.

Rules:
Keep it HOL appropriate
You can’t use the same word twice
The Judge can’t play and will have to sit out the round they’re judging on until they’ve made a choice and someone else becomes the judge

Depending on how the game goes, I may replenish your stock of words at some point

Articulate
For this game, we will be taking turns based on which order people appear in the online list
I’ll P2P (private message) everyone 5 objects, people or animals
When their turn comes, they will have to describe those things to the rest of the room without naming them (for instance, if you got ‘Sun’, you might say, hot, bright)
The first person to guess the thing correctly wins a point
Winner is the person with most points once everyone has described all of their items

Rules
You are not allowed to spell out the object or give people clues based on what it sounds like or rhymes with

Massive thanks to the incredible Prof. Amy Lupin for providing and re-shuffling the cards for Articulate.

Any questions? Let me know. Hope to see you there!
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Our next meet in #offtoschool is a little later this week at 8 (eight) PM Hol-time on Saturday (that’s the 2nd of Sept). Once again, we’ll be playing games every hour up until midnight!

8 is when the games will be starting but feel free to show up from 7 for a chat and to ask any questions! Also, if you have any game requests (either ones we’ve played or ones you’d like to play), drop me a PM.
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm

A quick reminder that fun is happening in #offtoschool from 8 (eight) PM Hol-time tomorrow (Saturday)! Feel free to show up from 7 to chat if you feel so inclined-I'll be there. :D
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:45 pm

This week's chat party is on Sunday this time! I’ll see you in #offtoschool at 8 (eight) PM Hol-time on the 10th

We’ve had an amazing two weeks so far with some blisteringly fast paced games, hilarious answers, general madness and low flying pineapples.

In week 1…
We kicked off with 20 Questions with Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis making an incredibly strong start and grabbing 4 points in quick succession. Only an amazingly quick win and then a deviously hard round by BJ Johnson meant that the result was a tie between the two snakes present (with Katelin Ross coming in a respectable second).

Chat got a bit busier as the night progressed and we moved onto Articulate which was way more frenzied than I ever could have expected. Will Lestrange had us on the run for the first few rounds, scoring 9 points while everyone else was struggling to get 1. In a nicely dramatic twist, Will then had to leave which meant Medea de troja was able to sweep the board with a truly phenomenal score of 17.

Our first game of Gurdyroots to Gurdyroots (Apples to Apples) was even more eventful-at least for me as I had to rush round with cards and replacement words. Despite the best efforts of my internet connection to sabotage things, we had a fun game, with notable word combinations submitted by Prof. Arielle Lemoyne (who won the first round), Prof. Zenix James and the eventual victor, Prof. Dario Brighton.

We concluded the night with a couple more rounds of 20 questions where Prof. Tarma Black nearly foxed everyone with a fantastic beast and Medea really did manage to bamboozle us all with the Weasley Clock.

Week 2…
We began with Articulate this time and it was almost as crazy as last week. At first it looked as though it might be a two horse race between Prof. Tarma (who somehow managed to correctly guess Ottery St Catchpole almost instantaneously) and Vanessa Tilley. Then Aurelia West and Prof. Zenix really hit their stride. The fight for first place switched between these representatives of all 4 houses so often that I honestly couldn’t call who was going to snatch the victory (and ended up getting quite dizzy trying to keep track of the scores). Eventually though, Zenix emerged as the runaway winner with a score of 11 to Tarma’s 9.

I was informed by everyone that I should be providing pizza and turkey legs at this point and could only offer a game of 20 questions instead. Zenix managed yet another win in the nick of time and new arrival Prof. Cody Lewis acquitted himself as both an excellent guesser and thing thinker-upper. The final round (won by Will) was a ‘speed run’ to ensure we could start the next game on time; now I know they can do it, I think I’ll introduce a time limit next game just to spice things up!

We finished off with another game of Gurdyroots to Gurdyroots and once again Zenix was on top form, securing yet another Gryffindor victory. However, it was Prof. Scarlet’s first combination of Glittery and Gregory Goyle that got the biggest cheer of the night.

There will be some fresh games this week so keep an eye out for the rules to be posted in here closer to the time. Hope to see you there on Sunday!
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 pm

You are cordially invited to Hol’s very own Masquerade party in #offtoschool tomorrow (Sunday the 10th) at 8 (eight) PM Hol-time. The entire night will be devoted to games of secret identities and mysterious locales. Dress to impress and remember your mask!

Games We’ll be Playing…

Who Done It?
A ‘crime’ will take place in chat and all the players will be given a character to play. It is your job to work together to discover which of your fellow chatters is the culprit

You can do this by asking people questions based on the clues you will be provided with

The catch is, you can only ask one (1) question each per round and you only have a certain number of rounds in which to do it. I’ll tell you how many when the game begins (it’ll be based on how many players we have).

How it works
I’ll P2P everyone their ‘character’ which is made up of a few basic facts. For instance, I might tell Bob ‘At the time of the crime you were strolling in the grounds, you collect scarves, you’re very good with charms and you own a pet unicorn’

You should only reveal these facts if someone directly asks you in response to a clue. So, Bob would only admit to owning a unicorn if someone said ‘Bob, the culprit dropped some unicorn hair, do you have anything to do with unicorns?’

I will provide one clue per round. Beware, it might apply to more than one person!

It is your job to discover which of your fellow players it might apply to using your question. In short: you can only ask one person one thing in one round and no, that question can’t be ‘did you do it?’

Only one guess can be made and this must be a group decision after the final round. If the group can’t agree unanimously, they’ll guess the person with the most votes.

Mid way through the game, I will privately tell one of you that you are the culprit. You can’t lie if people ask you questions but it will be your job to put suspicion on other people during any group discussions or while asking questions. Don’t be too obvious about it or you might give yourself away!

(And as ever, remember this is intended to be incredibly silly and just for fun!)

Who Am I?
I will P2P someone a well-known character from the Harry Potter Universe. The other players will then ask them questions and they will have to answer ‘in character’, saying what they think that character would. It is up to the other players to guess the identity of the character before anyone else.

Rules
This time, we’ll take it in turns to ask questions based on the order people appear in the online users list in the channel
As with 20 questions, you will only have Two Guesses per round. Use them wisely!
Don't mention your character's name or nickname and try to steer clear of anything too obvious (like who they married or who their children are) unless directly asked.
Try to enter into the spirit of things and really channel the character I give you

Where am I?
(And no, Sky isn’t having problems with a misfiring memory charm)

I’ll pick a person at random and they will decide on a lesser known location from the Harry Potter Universe. It must be obscure: not the Great Hall or King’s Cross. On the other hand, it must be one that people actually stand a fair chance of actually guessing. If you're unsure whether your location is too easy or too hard, ask me VIA P2P.

It will be up to everyone else to ask them yes or no questions about their location. The first person to correctly guess it wins the round.

Rules
We’ll take it in turns to ask questions based on the order people appear in the online users list in the channel
As with 20 questions, you will only have Two Guesses per round. Use them wisely!

Thanks to the sensational Prof. Zenix James for suggesting the basic idea for 'Where Am I?'
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:16 pm

We’re keeping to our Sunday, 8 (eight) PM Hol-time slot this week (that’s the 17th!).

During our last party, we all donned masks and participated in some fun games of glamourous intrigue and mysterious identities.

We kicked things off with ‘Who Am I’. Prof. Zenix James was first up to play the part of a character from Harry Potter - unfortunately she was just too good at being Draco Malfoy and Prof. Tarma Black rumbled her immediately. It was Prof. Tarma’s place to take centre stage and she had us all guessing for a while with her elegant and articulate Minerva McGonagall impression. Prof. Amy Lupin was the one to suss Tarma and then amused us all with her condemnation of ‘Losers Lurgy’. Luna Lovegood was just too easy to spot there and Prof. Zenix got it in one. Zenix’s Percy Weasley had everyone guessing for quite a while but her answer of ‘Prefects Who Gained Power’ gave it away when she was asked by Kathren Johnsun which class she’d like to see taught at Hogwarts. We swiftly played our way through Neville Longbottom and Cho Chang and finished up with Kathren’s excellent Mad-eye Moody and Will Lestrange’s almost un-guessable Quirinus Quirrell.

The next main event was the true mystery of the night. Everyone currently in chat was tasked with discovering which of the characters performed by their fellow players was guilty of stealing the school’s entire supply of unicorn horn from the Potions cupboard.

Clues ranged from ribbons to badly chewed quills to an unseasonable valentine’s dance. Interrogations varied wildly from queries about people’s codes of ethics and thoughts about the aging process to how they felt about the colour pink and how well they were in control of their magical pets. The final clue of a forged note threatened to reveal the criminal but there was still a certain amount of doubt as we entered the discussion phase. Suspicion had been on Shiloh Adlar for a long while due to her owning a niffler and promoting an elaborate yet truly impressive theory about Vanessa Tilley (whose supposed hatred for Pink was viewed as highly sus by the group). However, there was a dramatic plot twist when Prof. Cody Lewis (strongly under suspicion himself due to his romantic preparations and flare for Care of Magical Creatures) abandoned his theory about Shiloh and switched his final vote. Eventually, a tie was broken with the group deciding that Prof. Cody’s character was responsible. The real criminal, Medea De Troja, then revealed herself in truly spectacular style, having almost entirely escaped suspicion.

We rounded off the night with a few games of ‘Where Am I’ with locations ranging from Ice-cream parlours to cupboards under stairs. Shiloh, Will, Medea and Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis all scooped a win but it was once again Zenix who emerged victorious with two correct guesses (and no, none of us can work out how she keeps doing it either).

Hope to see you in #offtoschool on the 17th for more wild guesses and fun!
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Friendly reminder that we're just over 24 hours away from our next party. Hope to see as many of you as possible in #offtoschool at 8 (eight) PM on sunday 17th (tomorrow!)
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 pm

We won’t be having a chat meet this week and instead will be ending the activity in style with a slightly longer party on Saturday the 30th at 7 PM HOL. Hope you can join us!

We had a lot of fun this past Sunday reprising a mixture of games from previous weeks. We kicked things off with Articulate: though most people managed to snag at least 1 point, the real stand out players were Will Lestrange and Shiloh Adlar (Will won by a comfortable margin in the end, achieving 16 to Shiloh’s 9). Credit has to go to BJ Johnson though for managing to come up with what Will called the hardest cascade style clue ever (‘A magical Creature’). Watching everyone list 30 or more fantastic beasts was truly a sight to behold.

We unwound with a couple far more leisurely rounds of ‘Who Am I’ after that. Prof. Tarma Black’s portrayal of her namesake Sirius proved a particular challenge for everyone’s interrogative abilities, with Will finally rumbling her and following it up with an equally devilish stint as Dolores Umbridge.

After that I did my rounds as card-hander-outer for a swift game of Gurdyroots to Gurdyroots. Katelin Ross’s combination of Hairy and Yaxley won the first round, with Kendra Givens, Anna Snape and Prof. Tarma winning the subsequent ones with displays of linguistic flare. We finished off the night with ‘Where Am I’ where we very nearly lost Shiloh for good: turns out she was in Newt Scamander’s Magical Beast Transporting Suitcase all along. She managed to continue this impressive performance to win the game, earning 2 points to Will and Prof. Zenix’s 1s.

Hope to see you next week in #offtoschool on Saturday the 30th!
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:23 am

Quick reminder that there's no event today. See you on Saturday the 30th for the final party.
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm

About 24 hours from now, we'll be seing off the activity in style with our final chat meet. See you tomorrow in #offtoschool at 7 (seven) PM Hol-time
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “Off to School”