Howl's Moving Castle, Chapters 1-5

Sky Alton
Comet 140

Howl's Moving Castle, Chapters 1-5

Post by Sky Alton » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 pm

How one’s point of view does alter
Here we’ll be discussing the first 5 chapters of Howl’s Moving Castle.

Throwing a character a curve ball and seeing what happens is a well-known plot device. In this instance, do you think that Sophie actually benefits from being cursed and forced to re-evaluate who she is? Does being turned into someone so drastically unlike herself mean she takes on another personality? Or does it give her the freedom to be the self she wasn’t able to be while stuck in the hat shop?

Please remember to use spoiler tags when discussing specific details of the plot to make reading more pleasurable for everyone!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Re: Howl's Moving Castle, Chapters 1-5

Post by Kendra Givens » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:51 am

I got all the way through Chapter 4 almost forgetting that she was cursed into inhabiting an elderly body.Then reading Chapter 5 last night, I kept thinking wow, did she become a snot who doesn’t listen to or respect anybody quite quickly. But then again, I think she feels like she has the opportunity to be that way because she felt exploited and stuck at the hat shop. She now has the opportunity to do what she wants, because no one would ever recognize her right now to fault her “Sophie” self for anything. I think the circumstances have given her a chance to be bold and outspoken, I just wonder how far that will go before she gets herself into major trouble because of it.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I had a difficult time getting into the story the first time I read it. I remember that distinctly. It seemed like the same old same old of fairy tales,of the mother dying and an acquired stepmother and a sister and then a stepsister added to the mix. Then the father dies and they are left without resources.And all of this happens in the first four pages! But that was the first time of reading it ... and even then, by the end of the first chapter,even more things happenand the plot slowly thickens. Oh, it's getting sort of interesting! (Now I continue with this time of reading it, for current observations and ideas.)

'Don't get the Witch of the Waste upset!' because there will be repercussions! seems to be the theme of Chapter 2. I found it sort of amusing that Sophie finds out about her talents in such a way that she ends up having her body turned into that of an old woman, a very old woman, and has to deal with it. Suddenly all the upsets that she found so overwhelming (as a teenager) just don't seem so large anymore. But ... the thing is, and this is where I start to like her, she chooses to deal with it.

Did I mention that serendipity plays a large role in this book so far? Well, yes it does.

Chapters 3 and 4 ...we get into the actualities of the Moving Castle and Howl and the other occupants of the Castle. Sophie has a firm conviction that Howl can free her of this spell -- or at least that is allegedly why she decides to stay there. I don't particularly like Howl, but I'm not required to like him! I am, however, beginning to develop a certain respect for Sophie, who develops an ability to accept the oddity of a castle which does move around, and different doors go to different places and in fact, the whole thing is magical.

This is the second time I've read the book. Somehow, the first time I read the book (a few months ago), I missed some of the data here - or it didn't sink in! When I read it this second time, there was a huge 'ah ha!' moment.
"Howl and Calcifer invented the castle," Michael explained, "and Calcifer keeps it going. The inside of it is really just Howl's old house in Porthaven, which is the only real part."

This is getting interesting! :D
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Such a great beginning and I was already amazed. I really expected that there would beCinderella effect (the youngest one the most valuable one)- luckily there was not any. When the Witch of Waste was mentioned I was already in the story because I like fantasy stories so much. The beginning was great also because events happening were properly introduced in a style that is fun to read and is still enough original. As the apprenticeship by the magician was mentioned I really thought that Sophie would become a witch, so I was a little surprised when the apprenticeship at hat's shop was arranged for her.
The beginning of next chapter was so unexpected that I needed to read the last page of the previous chapter again. It was such a welcoming surprise because the plot was finally started withWitch's arrival and Martha's warning. It was fun when Sophie was transferred into an old woman; rarely main characters are introduced as older people so it was very welcoming change. Martha´s character is so also very good because if I would be in her place, I would absolutelyremain witch´s apprentice for a long-term and not switch with Lettie.
The main event was obviously adding magician Howl into the story and making everything even more interesting. Really looking forward to reading the whole book!
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Such an excellent book thus far. I do think Sophie is learning more about herself since changing. There are even lines where she talks about if she were a girl still, she wouldn't be asking the way she is now. She would be embarrassed by it. By not being herself, I wonder if she is really able to be her real self now. I love Calcifer still. I have to try to pull back from knowing how the movie is too and focus just on the book. I do like the extra detail of Sophie's life as I had forgotten about Martha and Lottie.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”