When You Reach Me - Things That Are Sweet - Parting Gifts

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

When You Reach Me - Things That Are Sweet - Parting Gifts

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:43 am

The end of the book races to a close. What HAPPENED! Did you have any kind of clue as to what this was all building up to or were you completely surprised? (I was ... I'd been reading it and not trying to figure out 'who dun it'.)

Was this a story you like (or love) or is it not your cup of tea and you put it aside after the first couple of chapters, or what?

Remember to use the spoilers tags if you are discussing specific events of the book.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Re: When You Reach Me - Things That Are Sweet - Parting Gifts

Post by Katelin Ross » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:31 am

I ended up reading to the end before I realized I needed to do another review. Oops!

This book didn't wow me, but I didn't hate it either. I liked the different shout outs to another book that I liked, but I expected the story line to be very different! I also feel like the book just ended. This was a fast read for me, but it will not make my list of books to reread over and over again.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

I did eventually call one part right. It was right when the accident happened that I realized who the laughing man was. It was from the part of the note where he said "to save myself." It finally made sense, and then Miranda figured it out a few parts later. I did have a guess about Marcus the entire time when he mentioned time travel, but I was trying to be too logical about it. Guess I'll never build a time machine. :p

Like Katelin said, it did feel like the book just ended. It was too abrupt for me like the author just wanted it complete or was out of time or something.

It was very enjoyable, and I really liked it. I'm going to be reading parts of it again tonight at work, so it'll be interesting to see what it's like now knowing everything.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am

I liked how a lot of the issues were resolved, and how friendships settled down. That was good.

I went back and forth, after finishing the story, wondering about the resolution of it. Yes, it sort of worked, but no, it was ... 'that's it?!' (as mentioned by Katelin and Shiloh) The time travel explanation just didn't feel right to me, but it worked for the story, explaining why the man would be acting in a discombobulated way. One thing which was a surprise ... I don't know why but I thought her mom would win more money!

Overall, though, I felt it to be a good read and was happy to be able to present it for a Monthly Book Discussion. There was a LOT of true stuff in it, and I always like to read about true stuff!
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”