Fish in a Tree: Chapters 13-25

Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Fish in a Tree: Chapters 13-25

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 am

We will be discussing chapters 13-25 of Fish in a Tree. If you haven’t read this far yet, worry not, as this thread will still be waiting for you.

Albert and Ally discuss the labels that people sometimes give others. Do you agree that there is more to someone than their label?

Remember to include spoiler tags though as not everyone would have read as far as you have.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Fish in a Tree: Chapters 13-25

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 am

It's pretty much as Albert says. "You know," he says, "logically, if a person was to pull another down, it would mean that he or she is already below that person."

Ally starts wanting to expand from the cell into which she has placed herself, and succeeds pretty well. She is finding out that she thinks (and feels and knows) 'outside the box'. But sadly, at the end of this section, she misunderstands or misconstrues what is done and starts a whirlwind of reaction.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:29 pm

I like that Ally has become friends with Keisha and Albert, who are both positive influences on her. Albert has a more scientific mind and a mature way of thinking. Ally can’t quite grasp his idea that labels don’t necessarily describe the core of an object. She cares a lot more about what others think than Albert does.

The challenge to identify objects inside the boxes reminded me of a black box challenge I had to do in science class in middle school. The only difference is that we weren’t allowed to open the box at the end. It was to teach us that sometimes scientific mysteries remain unknown. Ally showed that she was able to think outside the box, since she was the best in her group at figuring out what was inside.

I don’t have a big brother, but I loved Ally’s description when she was defending Travis: “An older brother is older. A big brother looks out for you and smiles when you walk into a room.”
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm

My favorite part in this section was when Ally and her group were trying to guess what was inside of the box. Ally was the only one of the teachers students ever to get the glue stick box answer correct. I believe that Ally's teacher is trying to show her that she has more abilities and strengths then she lets on.

I agree that there are more to others than labels. The jocks, the smart ones, the popular ones, these are just labels that teenagers give others. Deep down people are hiding other attributes that they may not want others to know, which is why they are acting the way they are. Shay is the perfect example of this. I am interested to see how her true character comes out as I think she is a very unhappy person.
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Post by Kendra Givens » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 am

I definitely think people fit more than one label at a time or transition between labels without knowing it. I also think labels aren't always necessarily what people think they are.

My favorite part of this section is where Albert tells Shay that the sweater she thinks of as the color of "royalty" is only associated with royalty because it was expensive to make that color out of snail slime. I think people often assume they're "high class" without realizing what it means to own that particular label. I also agree with Katelin about Shay - I think she's trying too hard to sell a particular label because she doesn't like the one she feels she truly belongs to.

This section also talks a lot about the concept of loneliness and being alone together. I think even if people ascribe to certain labels, they are brought together from being in various groups or being together without their preferred groups. I think of my students who come from foreign countries and are in the US for the first time. It doesn't matter if they were an athlete, musician, popular kid, or nerd in their country of origin. They're all here together sharing the experience of being new and they have formed their own friendships based on common experience regardless of interest or capability. They all have a new "label" together.

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”