Matilda: Chapter 1 - Chapter 6

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Matilda: Chapter 1 - Chapter 6

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 pm

In this thread we are going to discuss all the events that happen in the first six chapters of the book. Matilda is a little girl that loves to read. Which is that unique amazing book that makes your imagination run free and travel to so many amazing places?

These are just some questions to get the discussion started, but remember you can write about anything you want of these chapters.

We know that spoilers can kill any reading experience, so please, let’s all be nice and friendly, and don’t forget to use the spoilers tag when discussing specific information about the book.
Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Re: Matilda: Chapter 1 - Chapter 6

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 am

First off, I LOVE Matilda. Roald Dahl is an amazing writer and really pulls you into the story. He creates such memorable characters and you really feel what they are feeling. From chapter one, I have already fallen in love with Matilda and feel so sorry for how her parents and brother treat her. I was bullied a lot growing up because I was a bit smarter than others so I understand how painful that is. I am so impressed with that little girl who doesn't let her own family get her down. I love her mischievous little ways. Wish I had been like that in school.

The one unique amazing book for me has to be Marissa Gail Carriger's The Parasol Protectorate series. I have always been a fan of steampunk and tea and this world is just perfect for me. It has so many elements that I love such as steampunk, tea, and supernatural elements. No matter how many times I read it, I never get bored and always find something new I missed before. I highly recommend her series to any and everyone!
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:07 am

Like Vanessa, I was also bullied growing up because I was smarter than others, but Matilda just makes things work for her in her own little way. I was making comparisons between Matilda's family and Harry Potter's. Although Matilda has a bit more freedom than Harry did growing up, their families are very similar. They see someone different than them, and they don't like it so they resort to forms of abuse to make themselves feel better. It's hard to read about, but thankfully I've seen the movie, so I already know how it ends up and it makes it easier to read.

I don't know if I have one unique amazing book. I have read so many that it's hard to narrow them down at this point. If I had to choose, I will probably always pick Harry Potter because of the meaning it has for me. Plus, I like to think of all the things that go on in the magical world, and I also mention a lot of "what ifs" in my head. I like to think about the story from the point of view of other characters at times. There's always something to make my imagination go crazy.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:19 am

I finally got it from the library!

First impressions. This is a difficult book for me to read.Everything seems so 'over the top'. Sure the family of Matilda is gormless and unnoticing of who and what she is, but I'm not very impressed by her retaliation in kind. However, she is simply being as she has been taught to be, mimicking their resonances and actions, so I'm not very surprised at what she does.

Then I read that Roald Dahl also wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it all sort of clicked into place. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is totally 'over the top'! (I did, however, totally love the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Gene Wilder is ... awesome.)

But in the meantime, I'm hoping it gets better and she stops getting back at the miseries inflicted on her by her father and mother by retaliating in kind.
Do I have a 'one amazing book'? Several come to mind -- the one which popped up first is The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. Here is a person who didn't fit in with the life into which she was born and yet, with serendipitous occurrences, she finds a life and way of being which suits her exactly and she makes it her own.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Like Tarma I loved the old version of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, even though I do not like chocolate other than white chocolate. I have no idea why that is.

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”