Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Postby Sky Alton » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 am

Here we are at the end of our journey through The Old Kingdom. In this thread, we’ll be discussing chapters 24 to 29 and the epilogue but also reflecting on the book as a whole.

Throughout the book but also particularly in this last section, we find Sabriel having to assume some responsibilities she has trained hard for but would far rather not shoulder. Do you enjoy seeing characters who are confident in their abilities or more nervous about them? Do you think a character can be both self-assured and also uncertain about their fitness or readiness for a role? Has Sabriel’s journey impacted you in any particular way? How about Nix’s portrayal of death? Let us know!

As ever, please include Spoiler Tags just in case.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Robin Blackwood
No broom

Re: Sabriel, Chapter 24-Epilogue

Postby Robin Blackwood » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 am

Okay, so the end. This was it; everything which was expected from this book. The whole story was leading to final combat and with this to end. I must say that it was too quick; everything was on a few pages and written not very descriptionary. I was surprise when I suddenly found out that there was no combat when so little pages were left: it was written on the last ones.
Deaths; there were many deaths, of which multiple were extremely sad and not needed. But it was fun to see Sabriel not truely self-confident and without power.
She had almost died; but it was too traditional and usual that she was brought back just because of her ancestors; why only she- every death one could be brought back if she was.
The final scene was not so clear as other chapters before; I had to read twice to understand how did the main villain passed away.
It seemed that Garth Nix did extra good job at the beginning and in the middle, but ended book without his amazing style. I also expected some kind of epilogue with events happening some time after last combat; for example Sabriel and her 'husband', maybe with child, or Sabriel taking care for the wall, or eduating next Abhorsen and so on. But it did not happen.

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”