When You Reach Me - Things That Make No Sense - [to] Upside Down

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

When You Reach Me - Things That Make No Sense - [to] Upside Down

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:45 am

Oh oh. We're getting into nitty gritty stuff here. I think this is about when I decided I really didn't need a full night's sleep and had to finish this book.

What's going on with the family relationships of Miranda and her mother? Did you have any idea of the interpersonal relationships of Annemarie and Jimmy and Colin and Miranda and how they differ and how they are the same?

Remember to use the spoilers tags if you are discussing specific events of the book.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: When You Reach Me - Things That Make No Sense - [to] Upside Down

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I can't say I'm surprised by Jimmy's reaction to Julia. This may be 1979 New York (where it may have been a little less common), but comments like that are still around even today. Annemarie's reaction was expected because her and Julia do care about each other a lot despite whatever changed between them.

Now I'm wondering if Colin is the laughing man... in the future or something. Random thought due to the stolen bank. I did not expect that kiss at the end.

I'm more confused than ever right now, but I love the mystery and trying to figure it out to discover I'm probably completely wrong. Right now though, I do think the laughing man is one of the boys in the future. Lol

Two more hours at the hospital and plenty of time to finish reading to my little girl today when I head back in. XD
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: When You Reach Me - Things That Make No Sense - [to] Upside Down

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 am

I love the references made to A Wrinkle in Time which run throughout this book. Since that is a huge favorite book of mine, a mention of receiving a signed first edition of that book, as a 'proof' of the validity of these notes was sort of a squee moment.

That said, though, there are things happening which are not so great in the story. Who is doing the 'thefts', what is happening, why are people treating each other in these different ways. And yet, and yet, somehow the tie-ins to A Wrinkle in Tme help Miranda understand what is going on, or if not understand it, at least accept it. And it appears that acceptance of what is going on is more important than merely understanding it. It's so confusing, there is so much happening, who can understand it all? But ... she can 'yes, this is happening' and go on.

But ... what is happening with Sal? What is this about Colin? I completely understand Miranda's confusion about Jimmy and Annemarie and Julia and well ... it's all a huge confusion at this point.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”