Matilda: Chapter 17 - Chapter 21

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Matilda: Chapter 17 - Chapter 21

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:22 pm

And the end of the book is here. In this thread we can discuss your general opinion about the book. Do you think this a book that only children can relate to? Or can grown-ups also learn a thing or two from this reading? There is also a very popular movie, based on this book! You can also compare and contrast both of them. Many things from the movie don’t appear on the book, so which one do you think is better? The book or the movie? Or what about the precious illustrations by Quentin Blake? Let us know!

Don’t forget to use the spoiler tag when you think it´s necessary, please and thank you!

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Re: Matilda: Chapter 17 - Chapter 21

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am

I definitely liked the movie better than the book which is very rare for me to say. It's always the other way around. I found the book to be good of the beginning but as we start learning more information, it ends up getting to the point to where it's almost too much for this to be considered a children's book. Then again, I have to keep in mind the fact that I have an adult mind now and not a child's. I'm trying to remember what I thought of the movie when I first saw it years ago. I remember liking it and the fact that Matilda had these incredible powers, and I'm almost sure that I saw the evil in it back then with her parents and Miss Trunchbull, but for many children, would they even recognize that as poor parenting or major neglect? They would probably just see a little girl who is very smart and has these awesome powers to get back at the people she lives with. But this book brings up a lot about our educational system as well and parenting, how parents are always saying the teachers are in charge of their kids and it's their job to teach them right from wrong, what to do, make sure their kids don't get in trouble, instead of the parents doing the parenting themselves. This is seen when Miss Honey comes to Matilda's house and the things Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood say to her. But it also shows how people look for the easy way and how the television/technology is a new norm rather than being outside playing or having real family dinners at a table or enjoying a good book.

The other thing that made me like the movie more than the book is that the book at the end is extremely rushed. Just all of a sudden Matilda runs to Miss Honey to say her parents are running off to Spain, they run back and it's so quick. Everything happens within a couple of pages and it's so unrealistic. Again, children's book so I roll with it, but at least in the movie we see Matilda bringing the papers to Miss Honey and then her parents to have them sign away their rights. We see more interaction between Matilda and Miss Honey and Miss Trunchbull at the house. There's more of a storyline whereas the book just feels as if Dahl rushed through it in the end just to finish it up and get it over with.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the book. It was an easy read that actually allowed me to participate this month, but it certainly won't make my list of favorites to read over again.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Matilda: Chapter 17 - Chapter 21

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 am

It's funny how the end of this book, how it is brought to the end by the author, turned around my opinion of the book in general. I was all ready to just finish the book because I said I would, and was horrified by what is considered a 'nice' 'children's book' and then, at the very end, it seemed that everyone received their just desserts. That's fair. :)

Miss Honey got to return to her own house and home. Matilda got to live with Miss Honey. Matilda's parents are found out to be what they are and leave the area and Miss Trunchbull disappears. How it all happened is a bit beyond my ability to 'believe', but then, that's okay.

I've not seen the movie (yet) so can make no comparison of it with the book. I do think, though, that whoever made the movie must have made a lot of changes, if the movie is so beloved.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Monthly Book Discussions”