Week 2 Prompt

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Week 2 Prompt

Postby Sky Alton » Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Welcome to the second Friday Flourish (and blots) of inspiration!

Not to alarm anyone but we’re gently drifting towards the half way point. If you’re not where you’d like to be though, never fear. There is plenty of time. These prompts are designed to offer you a quick burst of stimulation if you’re ever in need of it. No need to post anything or even to use this now, just slip it into your story whenever you need something to kick start it again.

If you have an amazing prompt of your own to offer up to help other people nudge their creativity up a few notches, then please email it to us at hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Include your Hol name and ID as you’ll get 10 beans for your trouble.

This week’s power prompt is….

Knocked Senseless

No, I don’t want you to have your character sink into a comely swoon (though you can if you like!). What I’d like you to do is try writing a scene or two where one of their senses (sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell) is temporarily absent.

Now I’m not calling for everyone to start brutally maiming their characters (Honest...). There are plenty of easy ways to do this: have them walking around at night without a torch, get water in their ears, have to wear thick gloves…? The idea is simply to see how it changes the way they interact with the world and the use you make of their other senses as a writer.

If there really is no way to fit this into your story or if you’re not writing fiction, then how about trying to provide the description for a paragraph or a verse just with sounds, smells, tastes and or textures? You might find something that speaks to your reader particularly strongly.

Thanks to Vanesssa Tilley and Katya Snow for suggesting names for these Friday fripperies!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “HolWriMo”