Weekend Write-in

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Weekend Write-in

Postby Sky Alton » Sat May 06, 2017 12:02 am

Welcome to the Weekend Write-in!

We’re nearly a week into the challenge now and I thought it would be a great time for people to come together to write. So, drop in to this thread any time during 6 and 7 May to say hi, tell us what you’re writing this weekend, what you hope to achieve or maybe just to have a chat. Basically, anything goes.

Fun stuff!
It wouldn’t be a write-in without some fun stuff. So, here are a couple light-hearted challenges to have a go at. Feel free to tell us how you got on with them below.

Time-trial: Set a timer, throw caution to the winds and see how many words you can write in 15 minutes

Theme Song: It’s as simple as that, have a look on Youtube or in your music collection and pick a theme song for one or more of your characters (or if your project doesn’t have characters, for your piece as a whole).

Line in the Sand: Try to envisage your plot as a line or a shape which shows all the highs and lows your characters are going to go through. If you’re writing poetry or something else, think about your project and let the pen wander over the paper-see what happens.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Re: Weekend Write-in

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 am

When I read your post, Sky, immediately into my head came a tune. I sort of somewhat remembered where it was from after running it through my head and then googled ... It's the melody from the movie Doctor Zhivago - Lara's Theme.

I did a google search, for more information, because what I remembered was simply the music -- no words.
"Lara's Theme" is the name given to a leitmotif written for the film Doctor Zhivago (1965) by composer Maurice Jarre. Soon afterward, the leitmotif became the basis of the song "Somewhere, My Love".
I had to look up what the words were. It was only the melody which would be a theme for one of my characters.

So that works.
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Sat May 06, 2017 3:13 pm

I've always loved that piece of music, Tarma! Nice choice

I think the theme for my main female heroine is probably 'Live Out Loud' from the musical version of The Little Princess.

I'm a chapter in and already my character's are surprising me with what's coming out of their mouthes. Only the dog isn't sassing everyone in sight and I think that's only a matter of time.
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun May 07, 2017 5:17 pm

My writing is coming along rather slowly. It’s been longer than I'd like to admit since I last wrote something, so I found getting started rather challenging. I decided to give the 15 minute challenge a try though, as I thought it would be easier to commit to a certain amount of time than a certain word amount — and it definitely helped.

I had a rather interesting dream last night, so I decided to start working on a new story based on it, rather than continue working on an older story as originally planned. I only have a vague idea of the characters and some of the scenes, but what I like about this new story is that it seems to have given me more freedom to explore writing. I’m looking forward to seeing where the story and the characters take me!

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Sun May 07, 2017 6:04 pm

I majorly agree, Amy. Sometimes you just need to start something fresh to rediscover the enjoyment . Unfinished things can just put too much pressure on you and, you're right, there's far less room to be as creative as you'd like to be. (I counted my stories yesterday and realised I have an equal number of finished and unfinished ones. But that's okay. I'll go back to the half done ones when I feel ready.)

Glad the challenge helped! (And hope your new project continues to be exciting)
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “HolWriMo”