Hol WriMo Lounge

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Hol WriMo Lounge

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 am

Welcome to the HolWriMo Lounge. Pull up a chair, rest your weary scribbling fingers and tell us how it’s going.

This is your space to ask questions about writing problems or doubts you're having, vent any writerly frustrations, get tips, celebrate your mile stones or generally chat about the challenge with other HOLers. If you’re having a melt-down about your project or just need some advice on a particular thing, please don’t hesitate to post. Alternatively, if you’re feeling great, sing it from the rooftops and maybe share your secrets with those who are struggling.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Re: Hol WriMo Lounge

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

Bull J. Johnson wrote:One of my chapters is 200 and then another is 400. When you write should the number of words be roughly the same in each chapter or not. This really confuses me when I'm writing. Does anyone have any advice with this?

Also how can I get my first chapter longer?

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

Personally, I tend not to worry about chapters until I'm done writing the first draft-there's plenty of time to slice it up once you've got the story down (you can always add stuff or take away stuff at that point and you'll see where the breaks should come more easily). If you want to write in chapters to get the pacing right though, just be open minded. If you've decided that the chapter will end at a specific point and it winds up being too short, then think about another place to end it further on. Basically, don't worry too much about length in the early stages, you can always shift your chapter breaks around, add and remove stuff once you know the over all shape of the story.

(Of course, someone else might have a completely different view to me-I tend to write stories from start to finish and then puzzle out how to make them into something neat)

Also, just a quick, general reminder that anything you submit to us for points has to have been written in May. ;)
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Katya Snow
No broom

Postby Katya Snow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Oh My goodness YES! i didn't know this was here! hi fellow Nanoers!!!

as for the chapter lengths Bull, it doesn't actually matter! some people will say it does but it all comes down to personal preference! you see chapters are actually for breaking up 'scenes' in the books. some scenes take longer, especially if there is a dialogue. in every single book you see, chapters will be different lengths, this is because chapters are used to break up the flow of the story to do scene changes, time lapses, or switch which view or person you are following in a story. some authors even have chapter that are only three pages long and i've read one book where there where no chapters at all... that is not recommended in a 50+ page story.

more than that, you should never worry about 'fixing' your story until AFTER you have it all written out. this might seam a bit backwards but it really helps. once you have the entire thing written out, you'll have a much clearer idea of where the story is going, who the characters are as people and ow the scenes and settings look in your head. then, as horrible as it sounds, you sit down and re-write it adding in all of your personal notes. say you want to add in a personality trait in chapter three remarking upon main characters fear of spiders. add that. flesh out your world, your characters, the places he's in in the second draft, it makes your life much easier. ^^ if your doing this for Nano, consider this fist fifty thousand words as a rough draft and go from there.

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks I just learned something new. Also I know I have to wait until May to continue my story for points. This is the reason I was looking at how to fix things until I started to continue writing my story. Guess until May I'll just think about the next hurdle my character needs to get over. TY both Sky and Katya.

Another question is it ok if I only send the chapters I do for holwrimo, since I'm continue a already started story? Or does it have to be a brand new story?

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

No problem, glad to help. Just send us the chapters that you do of your current story, we'll only be verifying the word count so we don't need something that starts from the beginning. :D
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 am

Some things that I remember from NaNoWriMo.

Set yourself some sort of schedule of where you will be by the end of a day or of a week. Be sure to count your words on a regular basis.

SAVE YOUR STUFF.

Sometimes, if you don't like how your writing is going, you might take a different turn -- and then wish you had what you had before because you find a place where NOW you can fit it in. So keep editions of your work in process.

Have fun!
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I've never done anything like this and I must admit it's pretty scary to even know where to get started. I'm a decent writer but have only ever done role playing before - never written a totally original story or a novel of any kind.

Any hints for where to start?
Slytherin forever

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14 pm

At the beginning? hehehe

No, seriously, that's an awesome point to raise. I've been writing original stories on a regular basis for years and beginning one still scares me. I have too much to say on this subject so sorry in advance for babbling.

You could start with a character, a situation or an event. It doesn't always work but generally when you have one element, the others are easier to find. Listening in to people's conversations (yeah, that's totally allowed if you're a writer) or reading the news can help. In fact, read everything, listen to everything, everything can be useful (I’m writing a story about a badger right now). Always be asking yourself 'what if...'. What if unicorns took over the planet? What if there was a world-wide food shortage? These tend to get either silly or really deep but if you ask it often enough, you'll probably find a concept that grabs you and possibly someone to inhabit it. If not and you’re incurably stumped, don’t be afraid of using online generators-I do it sometimes when I’m sick of the idea drought. You could also try roleplaying with yourself, putting yourself in several character’s heads in turn until you decide who feels most comfortable.

As for literally starting the story (and that can help when thinking about the rest), the bit of advice my tutors like to use is to tell you to think about how late you can start. So, if you're going to write about the titanic, can you start your story on the moment of impact with the iceberg or even in the terrified moments after it? If you're going to go the event route, don't be afraid of starting with that event. As for the character route, what point of their life can you reasonably start from? You could just have them waking up and getting coffee or you could begin with them fleeing from a crazed unicorn. Which is going to get you more excited? Remember, you can always go back and add detail or extra context in later.

Also, remember that this is only the first draft. You could just start by writing a few random, unconnected scenes from a character’s point of view. They might be useful in the overall story or they might not but at least you’ll get a feel for what you want to write. I tend to write chronologically (beginning to end) but I still have documents packed with unordered scenes I just had to write down for later.

TL;DR: Ask questions. Notice everything. Jump in to a story at whatever point you can, no matter if that's near the end or the beginning. Don't worry too much.
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 pm

https://www.journalbuddies.com/journal_ ... ory-ideas/

These are some questions you can ask about your character to get you started. Hope it helps.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Maxwell Shadow wrote:I've never done anything like this and I must admit it's pretty scary to even know where to get started. I'm a decent writer but have only ever done role playing before - never written a totally original story or a novel of any kind.

Any hints for where to start?

I sort of cringe to write this ... but here it is. I was watching Twilight and watching the 'Makings of' segment (which sometimes I love watching in most movies more than the actual movie). Stephenie Meyer said something like -- her whole story began because of a dream she had where this boy and girl were lying in the meadow, facing each other, and the sun is shining (etc etc) with all the flowers around them. She knew that the boy was a vampire and the girl was a mundane human.

Stephanie says she woke up and wondered -- who was that? How did they get there? What was the story before that? What will happen now? So the whole book, Twilight, began because of a dream which happened NOT at the beginning of the story. So maybe your story or novel will have its genesis because of something which happens in the middle, or even end, of it. Try it out.
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Return to “HolWriMo”