Hol WriMo Lounge

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Moontrimmer

Hol WriMo Lounge

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 am

Welcome to the HolWriMo Lounge. Pull up a chair, rest your weary scribbling fingers and tell us how it’s going.

This is your space to ask questions about writing problems or doubts you're having, vent any writerly frustrations, get tips, celebrate your mile stones or generally chat about the challenge with other HOLers. If you’re having a melt-down about your project or just need some advice on a particular thing, please don’t hesitate to post. Alternatively, if you’re feeling great, sing it from the rooftops and maybe share your secrets with those who are struggling.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 140

Re: Hol WriMo Lounge

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

Bull J. Johnson wrote:One of my chapters is 200 and then another is 400. When you write should the number of words be roughly the same in each chapter or not. This really confuses me when I'm writing. Does anyone have any advice with this?

Also how can I get my first chapter longer?

Sky Alton
Moontrimmer

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

Personally, I tend not to worry about chapters until I'm done writing the first draft-there's plenty of time to slice it up once you've got the story down (you can always add stuff or take away stuff at that point and you'll see where the breaks should come more easily). If you want to write in chapters to get the pacing right though, just be open minded. If you've decided that the chapter will end at a specific point and it winds up being too short, then think about another place to end it further on. Basically, don't worry too much about length in the early stages, you can always shift your chapter breaks around, add and remove stuff once you know the over all shape of the story.

(Of course, someone else might have a completely different view to me-I tend to write stories from start to finish and then puzzle out how to make them into something neat)

Also, just a quick, general reminder that anything you submit to us for points has to have been written in May. ;)
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Katya Snow
No broom

Postby Katya Snow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Oh My goodness YES! i didn't know this was here! hi fellow Nanoers!!!

as for the chapter lengths Bull, it doesn't actually matter! some people will say it does but it all comes down to personal preference! you see chapters are actually for breaking up 'scenes' in the books. some scenes take longer, especially if there is a dialogue. in every single book you see, chapters will be different lengths, this is because chapters are used to break up the flow of the story to do scene changes, time lapses, or switch which view or person you are following in a story. some authors even have chapter that are only three pages long and i've read one book where there where no chapters at all... that is not recommended in a 50+ page story.

more than that, you should never worry about 'fixing' your story until AFTER you have it all written out. this might seam a bit backwards but it really helps. once you have the entire thing written out, you'll have a much clearer idea of where the story is going, who the characters are as people and ow the scenes and settings look in your head. then, as horrible as it sounds, you sit down and re-write it adding in all of your personal notes. say you want to add in a personality trait in chapter three remarking upon main characters fear of spiders. add that. flesh out your world, your characters, the places he's in in the second draft, it makes your life much easier. ^^ if your doing this for Nano, consider this fist fifty thousand words as a rough draft and go from there.

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks I just learned something new. Also I know I have to wait until May to continue my story for points. This is the reason I was looking at how to fix things until I started to continue writing my story. Guess until May I'll just think about the next hurdle my character needs to get over. TY both Sky and Katya.

Another question is it ok if I only send the chapters I do for holwrimo, since I'm continue a already started story? Or does it have to be a brand new story?

Sky Alton
Moontrimmer

Postby Sky Alton » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

No problem, glad to help. Just send us the chapters that you do of your current story, we'll only be verifying the word count so we don't need something that starts from the beginning. :D
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “HolWriMo”