HolWriMo (Hol Writing Month)

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

HolWriMo (Hol Writing Month)

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:32 am

May is HolWriMo (Hol Writing Month)!

Great, I hear you cry, but what is that? Well, it’s HOL’s homage to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) where people aim to write a novel in the 30 days of November with the support of lots of other people attempting the same thing.

For anyone going weak at the knees at the prospect of so much writing, don’t! HolWriMo is far more relaxed — we just want to get people writing and having fun.

You can write as much or as little as you want over the course of May, discover the worlds and people inside your head and hopefully earn some points for your house! (Yes, you can earn points for this!). We’ll be here every step of the way with activities, ideas and bucket loads of encouragement and virtual cookies.

For a full break down of how it will work, the points/awards available and guidelines (and to ask any questions), visit the questions thread.

So, will you be joining us? Ever tried something like this before? Already got an idea of what you’d like to write? Completely unsure but think it sounds cool? Please feel free to post below!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Ella Lestrange
No broom

Re: HolWriMo (Hol Writing Month)

Postby Ella Lestrange » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:51 pm

This is a bit to much for me, but I can step out of my comfort zone. I'm thinking of writing a potions book, I've learned a lot from Kim Alting in potions class.

Katya Snow
No broom

Postby Katya Snow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Definitely taking part!what's a little crippling Carpal Tunnel gonna do!? nothing!!!! that's what! :3 and then i'm gonna work on the Creative Outlets- Inspirational Categories!!! WORDING! (sorry i get excited.)

Hanna Inari
No broom

Postby Hanna Inari » Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm still in doubt whether I will be taking part in this or not. I have an already started (2 chapters written) novel about my friends, I'm writing it for them and I've intrigued them with the interesting plot almost two years ago! I've started writing it several months ago and then I went on a "break". I wonder if I ever finish it, but I can use a chance to write several chapters of it. Maybe it'll help me end it.
The novel is set in the future, 13 years later, and continues the real things that happened in past in a grotesque and exaggerated way. Another thing I should mention is that it'll be written in Russian, and even if translated, it won't be clear and interesting to anyone but for the people who I write about because many things are omitted or implied.
I have other projects that I'm working on, such as my own theory of teleportation. It involves different ways of teleportation and means of reaching other worlds. I tried to explore quantum mechanics in order to make it more justified but it was too difficult for me. This one I can actually translate to English because if I finish it, I can try and teach it in HOL (if it's not too difficult to translate and too absurd to understand).
So, that's that. If I finally decide and start writing some of these, I will write about it to one of the organizers so that we can work out a way of checking my texts.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri May 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Hanna Inari wrote:I'm still in doubt whether I will be taking part in this or not. I have an already started (2 chapters written) novel about my friends, I'm writing it for them and I've intrigued them with the interesting plot almost two years ago! I've started writing it several months ago and then I went on a "break". I wonder if I ever finish it, but I can use a chance to write several chapters of it. Maybe it'll help me end it.
The novel is set in the future, 13 years later, and continues the real things that happened in past in a grotesque and exaggerated way. Another thing I should mention is that it'll be written in Russian, and even if translated, it won't be clear and interesting to anyone but for the people who I write about because many things are omitted or implied.
I have other projects that I'm working on, such as my own theory of teleportation. It involves different ways of teleportation and means of reaching other worlds. I tried to explore quantum mechanics in order to make it more justified but it was too difficult for me. This one I can actually translate to English because if I finish it, I can try and teach it in HOL (if it's not too difficult to translate and too absurd to understand).
So, that's that. If I finally decide and start writing some of these, I will write about it to one of the organizers so that we can work out a way of checking my texts.

Hanna- what a great possible story! I'd love to read it. Go read HOLWriMo-Questions. In it are a lot of questions and answers. One that fits your specific post is this:
Q: Can I write in a language other than English?
As it is the official language of HOL, we’d prefer people to write in English (and submissions must be in English). We completely understand that English might be your second or even third language though and we won’t be judging the way you use language or the words you choose at all. However, if you feel you need to write in a language with which you’re more comfortable, then please do send one of us a private message so we can fill you in on the process we’ve worked out for that.

Something to be aware of is that, while what you submit can be part of another project, the two chapters you've written already will not count for this Challenge. So be sure to tell us where you started writing this month -- and continue from there for the points and Award.
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Hanna Inari
No broom

Postby Hanna Inari » Sun May 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black wrote:Hanna- what a great possible story! I'd love to read it. Go read HOLWriMo-Questions. In it are a lot of questions and answers. One that fits your specific post is this:
Q: Can I write in a language other than English?
As it is the official language of HOL, we’d prefer people to write in English (and submissions must be in English). We completely understand that English might be your second or even third language though and we won’t be judging the way you use language or the words you choose at all. However, if you feel you need to write in a language with which you’re more comfortable, then please do send one of us a private message so we can fill you in on the process we’ve worked out for that.

Something to be aware of is that, while what you submit can be part of another project, the two chapters you've written already will not count for this Challenge. So be sure to tell us where you started writing this month -- and continue from there for the points and Award.

Thanks! I've read it. I mentioned it specifically so that it was clear that I know what to do, I only still doubt whether I will participate or not. :)

Also, I know that these first chapters don't count. But I thought it will be fair to mention this, so that I can be sure that I fully understand the rules (and, thanks to you, I know that I do).

Return to “HolWriMo”