HolWriMo-Questions

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

HolWriMo-Questions

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:30 am

Welcome to the Hol WriMo Q&A! Here you’ll find the guidelines, point opportunities and hopefully all the other information you need. If you’ve got any doubts or other questions that you need answering, post below and we’ll get back to you! (We being the Book Club team)

Q: What is HolWriMo?

HolWriMo is HOL Writing Month, a challenge in the spirit of the famous NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and other related activities like Camp NaNoWriMo. It’s basically an activity where you make a commitment to write a certain amount in a month alongside lots of other people who are attempting to do the same.

Q: How much do I have to write?

You can write as little or as much as you want. The target we’re setting to ‘win’ is 6000 words but you can choose to set yourself your own and still receive points for the work you do.

Q: Points and Awards?

The point opportunities and awards on offer are as follows:
10 points per 500 words up to a maximum of 6000 words. That’s 120 points over all
‘HolWriMo Participant Award’ given for 3000 words
‘HolWriMo Winner award’ given for 6000 words

You may of course write more than 6000 words but you won’t receive any points after that. This is to make sure that we’re fair to all, not just to fast typers or prolific writers.

Q: What do I write?

Anything you like. It can be part of a novel, a short story, fanfic, epic poem, memoir, article, non-fiction …anything that you can think of to write. The idea is just to get writing, we’re not going to dictate how you do that! If you have the burning desire to write a book about motorcycle maintenance and how it pertains to French Cookery, please do so.

Q: Does it have to be a new idea?

No, you can submit something that’s part of a project you’re already working on providing it was written during May. This means that you can’t submit any words written at any other time, including for other writing activities like Camp NaNoWriMo. However, if you start a project in April’s camp or at another time, you may submit a continuation of that project.

Q: Do I have to sign up?

Nope, just turn in your project at the end of May. It would be awesome if you felt like telling us what you're working on or dropping by the lounge thread but it isn’t required.

Q: Can I join in later on in the month?

Sure, as this is a personal challenge, you can start whenever you like after May 1st.

Q: Can I write in a language other than English?

As it is the official language of HOL, we’d prefer people to write in English (and submissions must be in English). We completely understand that English might be your second or even third language though and we won’t be judging the way you use language or the words you choose at all. However, if you feel you need to write in a language with which you’re more comfortable, then please do send one of us a private message so we can fill you in on the process we’ve worked out for that.

Q: Do I have to show it to other people?

You’ll have to submit it to the Hol Bookclub email address for the word count to be independently verified. If you don’t want us to read it, just say so or you can even use an online scramble tool to rearrange the words in a random order. There is absolutely no obligation to share beyond that.

Q: How do I submit it?

You should paste the text in the body of an email and send it to us at hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces) with the subject line ‘HolWriMo –Hol ID’. Please include your HOL name, house, ID and the word count at the top of the email. Submissions must be received after May 1st and no later than 11:59 PM HOL time on May 31st 2017. We’ll be posting reminders of this process as well as how to double check your word-count with an online tool closer to the time!

Q: Can I share it publically if I want to?

Of course, we’ll be posting a thread where you can share excerpts of your work just so long as they’re HOL-appropriate!

Q: Will there be activities during HolWriMo?

Absolutely, we’ll be posting prompts, discussions and other things to help you through. We’ll also be trying to organise ways we can come together to write at the same time. There will also be the HolWriMo lounge thread where you can come to vent your writerly frustrations, ask for advice from other HOLers or celebrate your milestones.

Q: Hasn’t HolWriMo been run before?

Yes, it has, we’re continuing a grand tradition started by Profs Casandra Lobiesk and Zoki Phantom! Though 2017’s HolWriMo is a little different in a few practical areas, we owe a great deal to the amazing work they put in. If you’d like to see a list of illustrious HOLers who previously completed the challenge, then go here
HOL WriMo Winner

Is there anything I've missed or anything you're still a bit befuddled over? Let us know!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Re: HolWriMo-Questions

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm

What happens if I've written something and it's 'done' (or close to done) and I know that it needs more editing but at the same time I'm too close to it right now to do so. (I've found that I need to be away from something I've written for at least a few days before reading it (yet) again for editing purposes.)

Do I send it in anyway? Unedited and unrevised?
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Tue May 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, unrevised is absolutely fine. I do the same, I usually give my pieces a week or two before going back to them.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Sky Alton wrote:Yes, unrevised is absolutely fine. I do the same, I usually give my pieces a week or two before going back to them.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
*click*
I just sent it ... after looking at it and ARG gotta change that and changed it and realized I better just send it in.

:lol:
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Return to “HolWriMo”