The Motivation Station (Pep-talks)

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Moontrimmer

The Motivation Station (Pep-talks)

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:28 am

Welcome to HolWriMo’s Motivation Station! Here you’ll find lots of great advice, encouragement and plenty of virtual cookies to see you through the challenge.

I’ll be posting a weekly pep-talk/cheerleading post on Mondays to kick start the week. If there’s anything you’d like me to address specifically during the month or if you feel like doing some cheer leading of your own, just shoot me a PM here or on HOL!

Don’t worry, this won’t just be me spouting endless optimistic gibberish at you (alright…I’ll be doing a bit of that too). Several amazing members of HOL (including the team who came up with HolWriMo in the first place) have been good enough to come up with inspirational pep-talks to help you out. Whether it’s writers block, misbehaving characters or a project that keeps stalling, hopefully we’ll have the right tool to get you back on the creative road.

Um…yeah, I should warn you now, there will be a lot of questionable writing analogies ahead.

If you need any particular advice or have a writing question not covered here, head over to the HolWriMo Lounge thread and hopefully your fellow writers can help you out!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Sky Alton
Moontrimmer

Re: The Motivation Station (Pep-talks)

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Guys *waves shyly*
I'm just kicking off the motivation station with a bit of advice I found useful when doing NaNoWriMo. First things first: if this or anything else I suggest doesn’t work for you, please ignore it. We’re all different and work in different ways. The most important thing is to discover what works for you.

That being said, I thought I’d start by introducing you all to someone. And that’s your inner Editor. You all know who they are: the tiny doubting voice that tells you what you just wrote isn’t good enough or might be a little better if only you went back and changed something (alright, a lot of things).

Don’t get me wrong, your inner editor can be a valuable assistant. They can help you to know what works in a piece and what doesn’t, what to keep and what to prune out. But they tend to get in the way when you just want to tell a story or get an idea going. When your goal is just to see what your mind can do with a blank piece of paper, you don’t want a little voice nagging you to stop, go back or to start over. As Andy Warhol puts it:
Don't think about making art, just get it done

Anyone can write, including you. What you come out with might not (almost certainly won’t) be perfect first time. But that’s okay, more than okay. A challenge like HolWriMo is about pursuing ideas and seeing what happens. Tell that voice to take a hike for a while. It can come back when you’ve got something written and you’re ready to start trimming and polishing it.

So, humour me for a second. Go grab a piece of paper and a pen (a document on your computer will work too). Draw or describe your inner editor in any way you choose: a stick figure, a cartoon or even a bullet pointed list of what keeps you from creating. Then put it in a draw or a box (or a folder on your computer that you don’t go into). Don’t let it out until you feel you’re ready to start being critical about your work again.

I'll end on some more words of wisdom, this time from Shannon Hale
I’m writing a first draft and reminding myself that I’m simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “HolWriMo”