Ballet Terms

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Kendra Givens
No broom

Ballet Terms

Postby Kendra Givens » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 am

Hello Students!

In this thread, you will find a wonderful opportunity to earn some extra points for the term! Each month, I will be posting the definitions of 5 different ballet terms. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to send me a HOL forum message (ke1072) with the terms from class that correctly match the definitions I post. Each correct response will earn you 1 point, for a total of 5 points earned each month. If you can correctly identify all 5 terms every month, you will have earned 20 extra points by the end of the fall term! How exciting is that??

Please, when you send your answers in, title your message "Dance Academy - Terms - HOL ID" and include your name, HOL ID, and house in the body of the message.
His name is Sir Floofington Puffpuff III

Kendra Givens
No broom

Re: Ballet Terms

Postby Kendra Givens » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 am

September Terms:

1. Backward. Used to indicate that a step is executed moving away from the audience.

2. The horizontal wooden bar fastened to the walls of the ballet classroom or rehearsal hall which the dancer holds for support. Every ballet class begins with exercises at the bar.

3. Broken, breaking. A small beating step in which the movement is broken. Brisés are commenced on one or two feet and end on one or two feet.

4. Under. Indicates that the working foot passes behind the supporting foot.

5. This term is used for a fault in which the dancer turns his or her foot in from the ankle, thereby breaking the straight line of the leg.

Remember to send me your responses in a HOL message at ke1072!

Kendra Givens
No broom

Re: Ballet Terms

Postby Kendra Givens » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

October Terms:

1. Forward. A direction for the execution of a step. Used to indicate that a given step is executed moving forward, toward the audience.

2. Arms low or down. This is the dancer's "attention." The arms form a circle with the palms facing each other and the back edge of the hands resting on the thighs. The arms should hang quite loosely but not allowing the elbows to touch the sides.

3. Withdrawn. A position in which the thigh is raised to the second position in the air with the knee bent so that the pointed toe rests in front of, behind or to the side of the supporting knee.

4. Change of feet. These are springing steps in the fifth position, the dancer changing feet in the air and alighting in the fifth position with the opposite foot in the front. They are done petit and grand.

5. A ballet fan or enthusiast.

Remember to send me your responses in a HOL message at ke1072!

Return to “Dance Academy”