Thoughts on the play

The official area for all Cursed Child discussions

Moderators: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black, Ashley Margaret

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Thoughts on the play

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 am

Not sure how many people here have actually seen the play in London but I thought this needed a new thread for discussion. I can understand the comments people are making in the other thread but I think part of the problem is that you just can't get a real feel for the production by reading the script. I've not even bought the book yet because I know it won't be the same as seeing the magic unfold on stage.

Anyways, here are my thoughts:

The magic was amazing right from the beginning. There were so many things that I still can't work out how they did it. I loved how they used misdirection at times and how the spells looked. Even Lumos which was easy to see how it was done looked great. I still can't work out how they disappeared into the phone box to get into the ministry (and I don't want to know!) and when they were using polyjuice potion and Ron was battling to get into the office door I was not expecting Harry and Hermione to come from the left of stage! It would have been so easy for them to get on from the right (since the door was on that side) so it was an unexpected surprise that they came on from the other side.

There seems to be a lot of hate in the other thread for Ron but on stage he was perfect. The actor played him wonderfully and I really believed that he was Ron. He wasn't just the butt of jokes but really helped to add some light into the show. On that note, the show was really funny! I wasn't expecting there to be so many occasions when the whole audience were laughing. It was nice to break up what could have been a pretty dark show. Also the trolley witch bit on top of the train was great! Her extending fingernails were scary as hell though!

Delphi - I really didn't like her character but that might have been because I thought she was the weakest actor on the cast. Her big bad villian act just wasn't believable to me and it felt like she was trying to be so big that she was overacting the whole time and she just didn't have the abilities to play the character how it needed to be done. I don't mind so much that she turned out to be the villian of the piece but I just didn't believe her portrayal.

Albus and Scorpius - I'm so glad these two became friends. Scorpius was awesome throughout and I was really pleased when it came down to him to save the world when Albus screwed everything over.

There's so much more to say but I'll leave it there for now.
Slytherin forever

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Re: Thoughts on the play

Postby February Fortescue » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:38 pm

I haven't seen the play, but only read what was published, and I will say this:

Plays aren't meant to be read - they are meant to be watched
av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Ashley Margaret
Silver Arrow

Re: Thoughts on the play

Postby Ashley Margaret » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:15 am

Maxwell Shadow wrote:Also the trolley witch bit on top of the train was great! Her extending fingernails were scary as hell though!

This was one of the things I was struggling with while reading the play. I wasn't too fond of that whole bit.. it just seemed really weird to me. I'm glad to hear that it was actually pretty great on stage though!

February Fortescue wrote:I haven't seen the play, but only read what was published, and I will say this:

Plays aren't meant to be read - they are meant to be watched

Honestly, partway through I completely forgot I was reading a play and not a novel. It's kind of like how sometimes while watching movies with subtitles I notice it a lot at the beginning and it's hard to get into, but then partway through I just completely forget that I'm having to read the dialogue.
Ashley Margaret :: 7th Year :: RQT <3

Return to “Cursed Child”