Week 4: Out of the Labyrinth

Moderator: Hollers Assistant

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Week 4: Out of the Labyrinth

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Everyone has made it through to the center of the labyrinth! No one has died (that we know of anyway) and now the REST OF the labyrinth journey is upon us. Yes, one doesn't just go into the labyrinth and stay there, to continue on with their lives (and further adventures) they must find their way back out again.

Three tasks await you as you make your way back out –

1) What did you learn on your way in when you first approached the labyrinth? Which of the tasks did you enjoy the most? Which did you enjoy least? Which of them was the most difficult? Did you enjoy the most difficult task the most? Or did you enjoy most the least difficult one? Write what you enjoy and didn't enjoy – with a minimum of 100 words – to proceed through to the next part of the return journey. 20 Hoots to whoever finishes this Task!

2) What did you find out about yourself while participating in the weeks of our Labyrinth? Did you add any skills to your skill set? Learn to fly a broomstick better? Cultivate a new wealth of knowledge of charms and hexes and jinxes? Tell us, with a minimum of 100 words, what you have learned about yourself as you trod your way through the labyrinth. After you finished telling us, how lovely to have 20 Hoots added to your totals!

3) The final task – as you step out of the Labyrinth – is to participate in a costume party! Dress up to be like your favorite task or competitor or even to illustrate you participating in your favorite event. Please keep your original graphic to 600x600 pixels or less. Yes, this is an original graphic made by YOU to celebrate these four weeks of fun, terror and excitement. Stick figures are perfectly acceptable. Please include a written description of no fewer than 50 words to say what is in the picture. You will receive 20 Hoots for finishing (playing) in this Task!

Additional note to Task 3 of Week 4: Remember, you are a wizard or a witch. You might be a sunbeam. You might be a squirrel. You might be a drop of rain, or a bucket filled with light. Who knows what the labyrinth and you did to your definition of who and what you are?

Post each of your tasks below. Please take them in order ... 1, 2 and then 3. You have until Wednesday, 31st August at 11:59 pm to complete these tasks and finish your Labyrinth adventure!
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Re: Week 4: Out of the Labyrinth

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:38 pm

1) Week 1 was definitely my kind of week! I absolutely LOVE puzzles (as shown by the fact that I made some of the puzzles for this week)! The Acromantula was definitely the hardest for me, but also my favorite! I loved the trial and error mixed with logic that went into solving this puzzle, and it was so creative to have a spell for each spider! I also liked that the letters for the sudoku spelled out the spell! I viewed the sphinx one as the easiest one, but I generally find mazes to be the easiest of puzzles, and also that's one of the ones i made!

2) I found out that i'm not always the greatest storyteller, as it took me a long time to come up with the story for Week 2's headless bowling. Writing challenges have always been my weakness. I also found out i'm terrible at card games. I grew increasingly frustrated trying to win a game of Egyptian Ratscrew! I had a lot of fun designing the headless hunt poster though! I enjoyed learning all those spells as I got through the labyrinth. It was also fun participating in the first ever (with living beings) headless hunt! Too bad Sir Nicholas still couldn't join, being neither headless nor alive.

3) This is me (in my Slytherin robes of course!) using the spell the fight off the acromantulas! I felt like one of those games where you have to shoot the monsters before they get too close to you, AND more keep showing up! But I was able to keep my calm and get them all before they got me!

Aurelia Chantelier
No broom

Postby Aurelia Chantelier » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:29 am

1. I enjoyed the logic puzzles most when I was entering the labyrinth, because solving them was most challenging. They took me ages but the sense of satisfaction I felt when I’d solved them was amazing. The language-related puzzles (the dementor quote puzzle and the werewolf puzzle) were fun too, but Harry Potter trivia isn’t my strong suit, so I turned to a search engine for help, and so I don’t feel like they were entirely my own work. I had heaps of trouble putting the domino puzzle together, as I’m not great with jigsaws either, and most of it was in black or similarly dark colours. I found the maze fun and easy to do, and quite a relief after some of the other puzzles.

2. While in the labyrinth, I found out that the graphics challenges were the hardest for me as I don’t have an artistic bone in my body. Creating the original graphic was the hardest out of all the graphics challenges, because it took me a long time to think of something even I could draw recognizably, and even longer to draw it. The Egyptian ratscrew game was the second hardest challenge. At first my response time was way too slow and the computer would keep slapping the card pile before I did and winning. I enjoyed the gobstones game, however, and the logic puzzles, as I’ve mentioned. Coming up with a story for my headless ghost was also fun.

3. This is me in a boat counting bridges for the bridges puzzle (and possibly panicking, as I seem to be waving my hands in the air). Perhaps there are too few bridges…or too many? It’s a good thing I’m a witch, as building all those bridges by hand would be very time-consuming. Imagine having to dismantle a bridge and rebuild it somewhere else if you get things wrong!

Katherine Evans
No broom

Postby Katherine Evans » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:08 am

1. The first week was my favorite! I love love LOVE puzzles and my favorite is Sudoku. I didn't like how time consuming the domino and dementor games were, as you had to cut and paste a lot. The program I was using only allowed you to move the cut pieces once before they were stuck so it was quite tedious. I loved the werewolves bit, and have learned that word scrambles are a strong suit of mine. I loved the snags I ran into, it allowed my mind an exercise it hadn't had so far this summer. Week one was a great intro to the camp!

2. I've learned in these weeks that making graphics is not my strong suit. There were several times during camp that it was required and it was a struggle for me. The program I use (paint, ugh) is not easy to use and caused for a lot of grief. On the other hand, however, I did really enjoy the writing about our own ghost in week two. I love writing, and though mine might have been a little bit more morbid than most, it was a fun time delving into my creative mind. I also found a hidden talent in Gobstones!

3.Image
This is me, complete with black, pointy wizards hat and sparking wand. I'm spectating a game of my own creation, Headless Tic Tac Toe. A winner has just been named and we will soon be resetting for another match. Apologies for the horrible artistry, I'm worse on a computer than real life. ^^'

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:13 am

2. One thing I learn while in the labyrinth is how to play exploding snap better. This was a cool game, even if I don’t understand it fully. I wish to learn more games like this next time we do a summer camp. I think that would be super cool. Another thing I learned is not to get to close to the cards. The way I learned this is by accidentally getting to close to them and they burst into flames in front of my face singing the front of my hair making the long stray hair very short indeed. Anyway can’t wait for it to grow back in a month or two.

3. This is a picture of me in a gobstone costume. I liked this game very much, but the costume is hard to walk in. I also have to stand up the whole night, and can’t go to the bathroom, which means I can’t partake in the fun of drinking and eating anything.

(picture to come soon maybe to finish this activity.)

Sayan Sanyal
No broom

Postby Sayan Sanyal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 pm

1. Best brain tasks were of course sudoku type puzzles and unscramble solving problems but i enjoyed the most while sharing the stories or other writings where i got a chance to express my thoughts. Main thing I've learnt includes my view point about thinking. Before participating i was like a guy who always cherishes power more than mind or thoughts but through the whole month journey in the labyrinth i have come across a lot of situations where power couldn't save me unless my mind supported me at the right place in the right time. So, be aware of me now!!!!! slytherins are growing strong day by day this time not only through sheer power but also through the dense complexity of the mind!!!! THIS WHOLE MONTH HELPED ME A BIT IN GETTING TOUCH WITH SOME LEGILIMENCY type of activities as well. Overall it was a fabulous journey!!!!

2. I had a vast knowledge about dark magical skills. This is not traditional as i am only a first year but I've gained it through a large number of sources for my own sake of interest about the dark. But this labyrinth provided me with some ancient dark skills while going through different secret corners of the labyrinth. Luckily got something very precious, an ancient skull of very high power but don't know the use of it. To stop large creatures i had to throw a large number of rocks on them using spells and for this my "geminio" incantation [used for duplicating objects] is improved a lot.

3.Image

This picture is during my werewolf challenge in the labyrinth during a full moon night. I am well prepared with a double wand dark attack to show the werewolf its way to hell ...... The dress up is totally designed by me. It is my dream slytherin dress up just love it :)

Return to “Summer Camp 2016”