September Challenge - Hashi

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

September Challenge - Hashi

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Welcome back to HOLLERS Challenges!

Earn 25 HOOTS by completing this Hashi and sending me your answer, in a HOL PM, by the end of September. Title your PM "HOLLERS - Hashi".

Here are some hints for those who haven't done these before:
First off, Google "Hashi" (Hashi-o-kakero) for some instructions on what it is and how to play it.
Here is a result of a quick search:
Rules of Hashiwokakero
* Connect islands (the circles with numbers) with as many bridges as the number in the island.
* There can be no more than two bridges between two islands.
* Bridges cannot go across islands or other bridges.
* The bridges will form a continuous link between all the islands.
Look at the puzzle.
All '5' or '6' which have their back to a wall (or a blank area) have to have 3 bridge sets going from them. The bridge sets for the '6' will be of 2 bridges each.
If there is a 3 in a corner, it must have a 2 bridge sets going out from it.
Two '2s' will never go only to each other.
A '1' never goes to another '1'.
Do the obvious bridge sets and then look at it to see what changes are made for the remaining numbers. Do you now have a '5' or a '6' with their back to a wall?

Note: I am aware there are no 7's or 8's in this puzzle. :o However, since there aren't any, I very carefully did it myself to see how difficult it is. You might have to be very alert to new possibilities and situations when you do the 'have to' stuff, but it does progress logically. Good luck!

ps - If you get stuck, send me what you have and we can play with it and see if you can get unstuck. :)
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: September Challenge - Hashi

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 am

Vanessa Tilley is first to send in the correct answer!

Who is next?

Arianna Stonewater was right on Vanessa Tilley's broomstick tail!

Followed by:
Khaleesia Marie Lilith
Eno Thomas
Anna Snape
Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Polaris Black
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:41 am

You have until the end of the month to send in your answer to this Hashi and earn Hoots!

Remember that there are a couple other HOLLERS Challenges to do -- a Cryptogram and a Jigsaw. Have you done them yet?
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm

The answer:

People earning 25 Hoots are:

Anna Snape
Arianna Stonewater
Eno Thomas
Khaleesia Marie Lilith
Polaris Black
Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Vanessa Tilley

*~*~*~*
This very imaginative solution was sent in by Eno, while he was learning the 'rules' for sudoku. It's so pretty that I asked, and received, permission to post it!

Return to “Challenges”