Bracket Blitz - Magpies

Moderator: Hollers Assistant

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Comet 180

Bracket Blitz - Magpies

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:57 am

Montrose Magpies

Alasdair Maddock was a Montrose Magpies Chaser and a Muggle sports enthusiast. In games, he has tried to dribble the Quaffle like a basketball and head the Quaffle into the hoop like a football player. He was dismissed from the team when he chose to play a round of golf instead of attending practice.

Your task is to combine two Muggle sports, similar to how Alasdair Maddock tried to bring Muggle sport elements into Quidditch. Choose two of the following word lists and write a story. The story does not have to be sports-related, but you must include all the words under both of the sports that you choose to combine. (Minimum: 200 words)

Comet 180

Re: Bracket Blitz - Magpies

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 am

Tri-House Triumvirate - Prof. Zoki Phantom

Combined Baseball and Basketball.

Having rushed through his breakfast, Edward didn't quite feel like doing any sport activity right after. Luckily, this wasn't just any sport activity. He and his friends were about to invent a brand new sport for the Wizarding World. He made sure to bring a bat for that purpose, but he also grabbed a glove for Ryan. Out there on the field there was a single goal, getting the quaffle through the enemy's hoop. Or more precisely, hitting the net they placed inside the hoops, in the hope the quaffle will just bounce back instead of flying away. Everyone hated running after the ball, Edward could not deny that. They even decided to make it a foul if a player gets the quaffle out of the field lines, and three fouls get the player out of the game as well.

To start the game everyone had to jump on their broom, while the referee threw the quaffle in the air. The first person to catch it was Ryan, who then had to dribble his way through the opposing team's players. Ryan kept going left and right while progressing forward till he managed to pass the quaffle to Edward, who was on his team, who reached out to strike it with his bat. The ball flew almost as straight as an arrow and gave them a double score when it hit the net. The double score was given when the whole action that results in a score is done by a single field player. Those with a bat did not count toward this scenario, they were called shooter players, they were two on each team and they were stationary, any movement on the field from their side was considered an error and results with a foul. But they were also the only ones who could score so Edward liked being one of them, he felt special when the score went up because of him.

Everyone else had a glove and could only pitch the ball or block a pass in order to steal the quaffle from the opponents, which was called a turnover. And a turnover is what just took place, Ryan got carried away after his first successful run that he tried repeating it, only to have the quaffle stolen from his own hand. Luckily the opponents missed the net, hitting only the hoop which allowed Edward's own team a rebound catching of the quaffle and quickly getting it to Edward who managed to score once again. This went on for quite a bit and they came to realize that the opposing team's shooters weren't really that great.

The match lasted 80 minutes with a 10 minute break at the half period. The end score was ridiculous: 53-16 for Edward's team. The final goal was Edward's as well and it was quite the sight - Ryan flew high up in the air and delivered the quaffle to Edward with a downward dunk, who then fired it straight into the hoop. It was such a strong hit that it made a hole in the net and the quaffle got away. They weren't sure if that'd be considered a foul or not, but they realized they would need to polish their rules, just like they needed to polish the balance of the teams next time.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:29 am

B.A.M - Maxwell Shadow

Baseball & Volleyball

It was the day that all the Knights of the realm had been waiting for; the big jousting tournament was finally here. All the best knights from the kingdom had gathered together in the biggest field in the region. The organisers had been hard at work over the past few weeks to dig out the course, making sure that the double path on each side of the tilt was ready and that the spectators had somewhere good to sit. They knew that a slight bump in the surface of the grass would be enough to put even an ace Knight off their stride and did not want to be held responsible for such an occurance. Their Lord and master had been known to order the death of any whose error caused his tournament to run less than smoothly - not that he would actually kill them himself of course, he was much more likely to order your head to be cut off and put on a spike at the edge of the royal box. Not that that really provided any solice to his workers!

Luckily there had been no need for the King to make threats this year; the stage was set for the tournament of a lifetime. The noise of the crowd steadily rose in pitch as the start of the joust drew nearer. Even the foul smelling sewers (caused by a broken pipe or two) which ran beneath the arena were not enough to put a dampner on their enthusiasm. The Knights were emerging from their stables, each with their lance in hand, tip raised to the heavens. Their armour was shiny, their hands protected by a gauntlet (and beneath that probably a simple glove - it was a little chilly and they didn't want to catch a cold). None of them wanted to be the first to strike out and lie like a pancake on the ground, flat and lifeless. They all had dreams of flattening the opposition and raising the trophy, pronouncing them the tournament champion. The time had come to bat away the opposition and turn dreams into reality. Only the bravest would succeed.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:42 am

The Flintshire Fireballs - Amy Lupin

Dorian took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was still to come. He knew he only had one shot at this, so he would need to proceed carefully.

He had spent the past few weeks digging for information as to his sister Emily's whereabouts. Although there was some speculation that Emily went to the count of her own free will, Dorian knew otherwise. He felt it was his duty to try save her.

He secured the mask on his face and made his way towards the revelry, trying rather unsuccessfully to ignore the butterflies in his stomach. He felt an icy blast of wind. He was suddenly grateful for deciding to wear the jersey that Emily had given him a few years back.

Although Dorian had not been formally invited to the ball, he knew he wouldn't be out of place. The ball was hosted annually to commemorate the Morn period, the golden age of this region. It was tradition to wear masks at the ball. People had the option of wearing masks that either reflected their own interpretations of the era or those that embodied the heroes from that time. He caught sight of a steel helmet, which he suspected represented the legendary knight who never lost a single joust. The name was at the tip of his tongue, but he tried not to get too sidetracked mulling over it. Given half a chance, Dorian would daydream about what it would have been like to be one of the legendary figures from history.

There were many citizens as well as delegates from neighbouring regions milling about. Dorian was careful not to bump into any of them, lest he drew attention to himself. He did, however, sneak a pancake from one of the tables that were laden with food.

The doors leading into the Town Hall stood open. Dorian made a point of striding up the stairs and through the doors as confidently as he could muster. The corridor was eerily quiet. He visualised the maps he pored over for the past few days. He managed to navigate his way to the upper east wing.

He soon found the door he was looking for. He gave the doorknob a half-hearted twist, already knowing that it would be locked. He fumbled for his set of lock picks, but as he did so, he felt a sense of foreboding.

Dorian glanced back the way he came, his eyes widening in alarm. The man with the silver helmet was coming towards him. He had a strange sort of walk, almost as if he was skating across the floor. He held something metallic in his hand. A pipe. An odd choice of weapon, but still dangerous nonetheless. The determined look on his face made Dorian's heart lurch. It looked as though he would be going in for the kill. This duel wouldn't be anything like the practice sessions Dorian had at the Academy, where there was always a referee who made sure that things didn't get out of hand.

Dorian managed to calm himself down long enough to press buttons on concealed contraptions around his wrists. Spikes shot out just in time for Dorian to parry a thrust. The force of the impact made him stumble backwards. Although Dorian usually aced his practice sessions, he could tell that he was no match for this opponent. He needed to hatch a breakaway plan.

His opponent raised the pipe above his head and as he took a step forwards, Dorian leapt and tackled him to the ground, managing to knock him out. As Dorian got up, he heard clattering footsteps and soon found himself surrounded. He chastised himself for not sensing that he could be walking into a trap.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:50 am

D.A.S.N. - Arielle Lemoyne

Word lists: baseball + football

“Hello class, I am your substitute teacher for the day” said the woman, rushing into the room and quickly throwing off her coat and gloves, and trying to stomp off the mud that was stuck to her boots from racing across the field to get to class. The students glared at her, upset that she did show up and they wouldn’t be able to get out of learning for the day. “Don’t look so cross. You should be excited because we are about to tackle…” she fumbled around for the notes on the day’s lesson – “the water cycle”. Some of the students had gotten up and were walking towards the door. “Please sit down! That is your first strike!” She didn’t quite know what she meant by that, but she thought it sounded good, and the students returned to their seats. “Don’t let me catch anyone else trying to leave. Let’s move forward. Your goal for the day is to make a diagram of the water cycle.” She began passing out poster paper. Suddenly, the room became pitch black. It was so dark only a bat would be able to see. “I hope that this is a technological error and that I will not have to kick someone out of the class,” she announced, already fearing that foul play was involved. She kept talking as she walked along the wall feeling for the light switch. “You know, there will be a penalty for whoever came up with this ridiculous prank. I am not going to sit on the sideline and let you get away with this”. She hoped she wasn’t going to find herself in a trap. Finally, she found the light switch and flipped them on. The room was empty. “You all have double detention!” she shouted, angrily punting the lesson plan across the room. Unfortunately, the entire class had already gone home.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:57 am

Homeslices - Ashley Margaret

It was the biggest day for our team. It was the championship game. I woke up so nervous I could barely eat my breakfast. As I was putting my jersey on in the locker room I felt like I was going to be sick, but then I saw a butterfly land on my shelf. My mom always said butterflies were lucky, so maybe this little insect was actually bringing me good luck! I smiled.

It was a relatively new game and no one had played it before this year. It was invented by a wizard who came from two muggle parents. He said it was a combination of muggle baseball and hockey, but I had never watched one of those games so I had no idea what he was talking about. All I know is that in hockey, muggles apparently skate around on ice! Thank goodness he didn’t include that as part of the rules for this sport because I can’t imagine being any good then.

It was a close game and stressful game. It was now the final inning. Both teams had yet to score.

We were in the field first. The opponent’s player came to bat. He swung and hit the ball in my direction! I quickly held my stick in the air hoping to catch the ball in the glove attached to the end. No such luck, the ball was flying way too fast for me to get to it in time. It hit the ground and I ran to it with my hockey stick and hit it towards second base. The second baseman had her stick ready to hit the ball into the second base goal, but the runner was simply running way too fast. He had gotten a double and now their potentially winning run was on second base!

We couldn’t make an error for the rest of the inning (instead of the period, like hockey, as my friend always tried to explain. I still had no idea of how these muggle sports were played.). We had to keep them to a score of zero and then score when we came up to bat.

The next batter hit the ball to center field where my friend caught the ball. It looked like their runner on second was trying to steal third base. I was getting nervous, but then I saw a butterfly fly across the field. Was it the same butterfly? I could do this!

The next ball came flying out towards me. I threw my pole up in the air and thud! I had caught the ball in my glove! “Nice shot!” called the center fielder towards me. I smiled. Two out. One to go.

And of course the next batter was the opponent’s biggest player. I hoped our pitcher could strike him out. Pitch number one. “Strike!” cried the referee. And again the ref cried “Strike!” One more strike and our pitcher would save us from allowing the other team to score! “Strike three! You’re out!” We did it! We held them to zero ones!

Now we just had to score.

I was up to bat first. I swung. “Strike!” I took a second to breathe. I could do this. The next ball I set flying over the second baseman’s head. Please don’t catch it, please don’t catch it, I thought as I ran towards first base. I was safe!

Our second batter hit the ball to the right fielder. While he got out, luckily I did make it to second base.

Our third batter struck out.

It was all down now to my best friend. He had to hit the ball. And I had to make it home. He swung and the ball went flying into right field. It looked like it was going to go over the fielder’s head. I ran like I had never run before. I rounded third and headed for home. And then the next thing I knew both the pitcher and catcher were standing right in the middle of the baseline halfway to home. I needed to stop, I needed to swerve, but I was running so fast that I couldn’t and I just barreled right into them. Their arms swung at me and I felt my a hard knock in my jaw, but I pushed them aside and ran with all my might towards home plate.

I crossed home plate! Me! The winning run! I could hear the shouts and hoots from my team. It didn’t matter that my mouth was bleeding after barreling into their players (I always knew I should be wearing a mask for days like this). It didn’t matter that they had resorted to foul play. We still won! My team ran onto the field and began to whoop and hug each other.

As I went to breakaway from the celebratory hugs from my team on the field, I caught sight of the butterfly. It had brought me luck afterall.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 am

Boggart Busters - Sirius Fudge

The Bat and the Glove

Once upon a time, there was a bat, with a catch. It had a double set of wings. When it was young, it made many errors, on how to use its wings properly. It would practice flying in the field. It would also give out a foul smell sometimes. One day, it found a glove sticking out on a window sill. In its excitement, it let out a yell which is out of pitch. It was ready to strike when a ball flew in the air and blocked the view and its trajectory. The ball then fall, bounced, was caught by a boy, dribbled, and was dunked in the hoop. The bat realized it was time for it to jump and fly straight to the glove. Unfortunately, a boy saw the bat and threw a net to catch it. Poor bat, he was caught and was passed around in the amusement of the group of the boys looking at its double set of wings. They thought it was unique. The bat then changed his luck. Determined to rebound and have a turnover in its life, it flapped its unique wings the hardest it could. A big gust of wind is produced, freeing itself from the boys’ net. Free at last, he was never again tempted by a glove or any human thing in its life.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:17 am

Bracket Breakers - Fumei Shirokuro

Basketball and Hockey were both the victim during this little story. So sit down, take some coffee and enjoy the story, while I find a place to hide.

It was a long and exhausting day, when William and Fumei decided to save some time in thinking of a good way to pass the time. They weren't sure how they should achieve this goal of theirs. But one thing they were both certain off, it wouldn't contain ice butterflies. They just couldn't see themselves running and jumping around with a net to catch those nasty little pests.

Both couldn’t come up with anything, it was as if both of them had something like a writers block. Although it wasn’t really like a writers block. So they both gave up on the idea and turnover a new leaf.

Maybe they could do something active. Like dunking some skates. You never know what would happen if the did any of these activities. Through dunking was easy removed from their to-do-list. They figured out that they didn’t had a hoop which they could use for their dunking.

With that they passed on their possible ideas to get active. It just wasn’t their period today to do anything active. As both sat in their lazy chairs, they remembered something. It was as if it bounced in their heads. Today was the masked ball! They could give it a shot to go their. It was the perfect thing that they could think of. This way they would breakaway from their boredom, wouldn’t have to think of anything to do by themselves.

Off they go, to the masked ball. Where both were wearing a jersey. Since William didn’t had a suit or something decent and Fumei was just plain lazy to find herself a dress. In the end they had a fun night of dribbling around the dance floor rebounding the referee.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 am

Group X - Leonie Hauri

"Bringing in Agent Pancake, bringing in Agent Pancake," a loud voice said on Jeremy's watch. Jeremy rolled his eyes. Last time he had been on a mission, he had forgotten his watch, and now the officials were constantly contacting him to make sure he didn't repeat the error. He was already working double time to pay for that mistake, and didn't intend on ever making it again.

"Agent Pancake reporting, all clear," Jeremy reported as he scanned the view from his position. He hated his code name, but couldn't change it. It was better than Agent Dishwater, which is was it used to be. Jeremy swept his gaze over the calm street scene in front of him.

Children were playing on the side of the road, while their wary mothers kept an eye on them. A few old ladies were sitting on their porches, enjoying tea. It was an overall, happy scene. But something foul was afoot.

None of these people looked like the had the heart to kill, but you never knew. Was that old lady really as blind as a bat, or just pretending so she could watch others without them knowing? Was that man drinking coffee really reading the newspaper, or watching the man next to him? An agent had reported suspicious meetings, but Jeremy saw no sign of that.

"Agent Pancake, anything suspicious on field five?" Jeremy's watch asked. Jeremy grinned. He recognized the voice on the line. It was his good buddy, Leo.

"Hey, ace! How's it going?" Jeremy asked. Leo was one of the best agents they had. Nothing got past him.

"Not right now, buddy. We mean business, you dig me? I'm reporting a man heading down East Street, clothes all black. You see him?" Leo asked. Jeremy squinted.

"Nah, I don't see him," Jeremy replied. "Where is his position relating to mine?"

"Over by the grocery store. I'm going to investigate. I'm going in, right now. He's here. Oh, no. He's got-" Leo's voice became garbled at that point, and the watch radio began to whine at an annoyingly high pitch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Bad service, out here. What did you say?" Jeremy asked nervously, absentmindedly fingering the stitches on his glove. No answer came.

Jeremy was getting nervous. Leo took his job seriously, and if he wasn't reporting, something bad had happened. It didn't take long for Jeremy to decide to set out for the grocery store and investigate himself.

He spotted the man right away. The man was wearing all black, and held a rusty pipe in his hands, using it as a weapon. The pipe's tip ended in a jagged spike, and the man was getting read to swing it as hard as he could. Jeremy spotted Leo, holding a wrench, also prepared to strike.

They began to joust, swinging their makeshift weapons at each other over and over until finally Leo managed to give the man a hard bump on the head. The man slid to the ground, unconscious, and Leo nodded his head at Jeremy.

"Tie him up," Leo instructed, then left.

"But Leo! Aren't you going to stay for when the officials arrive?" Jeremy protested.

Leo winked. "Nah. I'll let you take all the credit. You need it. This time." And with that, he was gone.

Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 am

Group Z - Patrick James

I've used Football and Hockey.

I stared out the window of my class room, watching a sole butterfly in the cold December morning. Its movement was fluid, graceful even, as though it were a contestant in an ice skate competition. I was quickly jerked back from my day dreaming and my eyes focused on my computer screen, an assignment that was waiting to be completed sat in front of me. Once I’d finish this, I’d be able to enjoy my soccer training. Suddenly, a bell rang, signalling the end of my Computing period. It was finally the end of the school day, which meant that soccer practice edged closer. Soccer is my life and I’d give anything for it.

I skipped to my locker to store my books and to retrieve my kit bag. In haste, I accidentally crushed my mask that I use for drama, but I couldn’t be bothered really and I swung my kit bag over my shoulder and shut my locker. Jogging my way to the changing rooms, I kept thinking about next week’s game against our bitter rivals, Manchester High. It was a must-win game for us as this game decides on who wins the title, our school, London High or their school. Quickly, my team mates and I changed into our jerseys and off we went onto the freshly-cut grass.

We started our initial warm up by doing some ground passing and chest traps and moved on to game plans and strategies. During one of our plays, we were practicing aerial duels, however, what I didn’t anticipate was that I’d get knocked out by my team mate during a head on collision. The last thing I remembered was a low groaning whimper escaping from my team mate’s mouth.

My eyes started to hurt as I opened my heavy eye-lids to the blinding white lights of a hospital. All my mates surrounded my bed, waiting for me to regain consciousness. The guy who collided with me, Ted, apparently didn’t suffer a serious damage, which I was thankful of, but I couldn’t face the fact that I couldn’t start the game against Manchester High and that I’d be sitting on the sidelines, helpless almost. Once I was discharged, I got back into personal training. I was striving to be fit for the game and even though it hurt my head, I was used to the pain 2 days before game time. I went to train with the team and I did alright, but my coach didn’t want to take a chance by playing me from the beginning. Soon enough, it was match day.

The atmosphere in the stadium was absolutely buzzing. Vuvuzela blows, chants, flags all engulfed the pitch. A few other team mates who couldn’t make the first 11 sat with me on the substitutes’ bench. I gave an encouraging pat on the back on each of my team players who were out on the field. London High were the team to kick off; the referee blew his whistle, and there they were off! We started off brilliantly, our crosses were delivered with precision, but we just couldn’t get the forwards on the ball. Manchester High’s defence was impeccable. However, I felt I knew their tactics and that I should be on the field playing.

The first blow of the day was dealt, and it wasn’t looking pretty. Manchester High scored the first goal of the match, a simple tap-in shot for the Manchester forward. However, our goalkeeper did make a wonderful first-time save, unlucky for us the bounce was unfavourable. In frustration, Joe, our goalkeeper, booted the ball up field almost like an American football punt. London High supporters were groaning in disgust, while Manchester fans were cheering their team on. It was kick-off once more, and I stood up and screamed out words of encouragement.

If there was anything that defined swift reply, it had to be our goal. We scored straight from kick-off, Andy, our striker, just blitz past through the Manchester defence to score and absolute peach of a goal. The London fans were off their seats, screaming and chanting. Half-time was soon upon us and there was an air of hope that clung in the atmosphere. The changing room was dense with tension, but also with belief. Keeping with our half time tradition, we all stayed silent, focusing on what to do next. The coach kept drilling us about confidence and spirit. He lead us out of the tunnel to begin the second half of the game.

Not much occurred during the next 43 minutes, it was a tense stalemate. Both teams trying their best to not concede. We were going on the attack once more, and at the stroke of the 89th minute, we had our breakaway! The Manchester High defender brought down Andy in the penalty box with a rash tackle which saw Andy limp off the pitch to be attended by medical assistants. I was the only striker on the team and my coach looked up to me expectantly and whispered in my ear; “Finish this game son!”

I ran across the field and stepped up to take the penalty. All eyes were on me, the crowd was so silent you could hear a pin drop. It was just me and the opposing keeper. It was the longest moment of my life. I took a step forward and ran my boot through it. Our fans went crazy! The ball ended up at the back of the net and the other teams’ goalkeeper fell to the ground. We had won the game and the title! The entire team came and raised me up and threw me up in the air, while I clutched the warm, metal surface of the sweet trophy.

Return to “The Scrapbook”