March – Plant a Flower Day

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

March – Plant a Flower Day

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

March 12th is a great day to get some dirt under your fingernails for Plant a Flower Day.

Did you know that the oldest flowering plant is 125 million years old?

Take a picture of your favorite flower or plant and share it with us for 10 Hoots. You can explain what the flower is and why it is your favorite in a few sentences for 5 Hoots.

For 15 Hoots and 15 beans, post your photograph (600x600 or less) and brief explanation as a reply to this thread by March 31st, 11:59pm HOL time at the latest.
Thank you Dario!
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Re: March – Plant a Flower Day

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 pm

This is a photo I took earlier and since not many plants are flowering right now, here it is:

This plant is a red rose. I love roses, just like many writers and poets who wrote about it before me. A rose is so beautiful yet the thorns can be quite painful. That I think, the beauty and smell combined with the dangerous thorns is what makes a rose so attractive.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:30 am

I will admit that I have no idea what this is, but it is one of the flowers that was growing around here this past summer. (See the cute little ant?) It does look slightly similar to a species of Jasmine which is a flowering shrub that I like. Not only does Jasmine have an amazing smell, it makes wonderful tea.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 pm

I have a bunch of favorite plants. This is a favorite plant - it's a Red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum). She grows wild in the area in which I live. It's a joy to see her starting to bloom; the flowers are so delicate and lovely. Hummingbirds often visit about the time that this plant comes into bloom. For me a thing of gladness -- those blooms indicate the end of the winter months and the approach of spring.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Poinsettia is my favorite flower! There are many reason why it is my favorite. First of all, because it is indigenous to Mexico, my country. Secondly because it is very popular on Christmas time and Christmas is my favorite Holiday! In here, we know the Poinsettia as "Noche Buena" which literally means "Good night", but "Noche Buena" also makes reference to Christmas Eve, because that is how we call in Spanish the Christmas Eve, Noche Buena.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:03 am

15 Hoots and beans go to:

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Shadow Gaunt
Shiloh Adlar

Lovely photos!
Thank you Dario!

Return to “Creative Outlet”