May - Internet Day

Moderators: Maxim Trevelyan, Hollers Assistant

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

May - Internet Day

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 am

Internet…Where would we be without it today? Certainly not members of HOL, that’s for sure. Internet Day is celebrated across the world on May 17th.

Did you know what the first site on the Internet was 1990 CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research Organisation) website?

Because really, we would be nowhere without Internet, write and post at least 150 words about your favorite website (excluding HOL), Internet personality or how Internet changed your life.

For 20 Hoots and 20 beans, post your story relating to Internet as a reply to this thread by May 31st 11:59 PM HOL time at the latest.
Thank you Dario!

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Re: May - Internet Day

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Mon May 01, 2017 8:12 am

One internet famous family that I like to watch is the Family Fun Pack. The people running this youtube site is Kristen, her husband Matt and their children. Let me introduce them to you. First there is Alyssa who is the oldest and only girl. Then there is David who is the second son. Next, come the twins Chris and Zac. Last but not least, there is Michael who is the youngest for just about another month longer. At that point there will be a new addition to there family.

The mother is thinking of naming this baby either Bennett or Jacob. I hope that they name him Jacob, because I think it sounds like a much better name than the name Bennett. Of course, no matter what he is named I will still watch and will love seeing him grow up. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy this internet family as much as I do.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 pm

How had Internet changed my life?
Well, first off, I had to learn to control my energy fields so I could turn on the computer. Yes, for ages I was virtually computer (and Internet) non-savvy because the computer wouldn't turn on. Someone else has to turn it on for me. (Anyone read the Dresden Files? I too drove a Bug for years. It would work for me and not die at intersections and/or while driving. Once someone actually had me get out of the truck (it died on the street) so he could start it again. I had to get a long ways away and finally it started. And I didn't get pissed off … because that would have stopped it again. However, it's fun to go to Reno, Nevada and gamble at the slots machines. They keep giving me money. How great.)
So yeah, I had to learn to control my 'feelings' and energy fields. Because I wanted to get online. Then I found an RPG site for Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. I learned to write well in that environment and how to write a 'story' sufficiently well that I was awarded to be a Queen rider. But then they went off canon … so I was complaining about that with James Summers (of HOL) and he said to come here to HOL (he was of Slytherin and a Prefect). That it is canon here. So I came here. But you said NOT about HOL.
Favorite non-HOL site now? Probably Mark Reads (google "Mark Reads"). Mark has read the Harry Potter books, the Twilight books, so many many books and has done a wonderful job of it. Also, he has a Mark Watches site; he has watched the Doctor Who shows and much else. Right now Mark is reading the Discworld books and also the Wizard (Diane Duane) series.
Another favorite internet site is … my library. No surprise, eh? Yes, it's great fun to read of a book and/or movie and go see if my library has it and lo, and behold, often it does!
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Risya Caltorn
No broom

Postby Risya Caltorn » Sun May 07, 2017 5:14 am

My favorite website on the Internet is Pottermore off course. Pottermore is the digital heart of the Wizarding World. Pottermore can give me so much information about Harry Potter that I didn't know before. And we could take a test to know about our patronus with not-a-mainstream quiz. We can also take a test to know which house we belong in Hogwarts. Pottermore also gives us news about Harry Potter, Fantastic Beast, Cursed Child, or even the actress or actor who played Harry Potter, Fantastic Beast, and Cursed Child. There also an online store that make us can buy an audio book, or a PDF book, off course only for Harry Potter book and book that still related to Harry Potter, like Quidditch trough the age, Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Almost forget, we can also take a quiz to know wich house we belong in Ilvermony. The point is, you can get so much from Pottermore, also it is the official website for Harry Potter from J. K. Rowling. Okay that's all, you can visit it at https://www.pottermore.com/

Sorry for my bad English, it isn't my main language :)

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I would probably have to say that my favorite website apart from HOL is YouTube, mainly because there are so many different communities that exist on that one platform. For example, I first got into YouTube by watching videos from people who told stories about their lives, but nowadays some of my favorite videos to watch are BookTube videos in which people talk about the books they're reading, books they'd like to read, and doing fun book related things. I find out about a lot of new releases that way that I don't think I would have known about otherwise and the community is lovely because everyone there is brought together by a love for books. Of course that does mean that my pile of books I'd like to read grows exponentially each month, but that's fine with me. As for how the Internet has changed my life, it's introduced me to many differing opinions about a variety of topics that help me to expand my own limited perspective. Whether it's from observing discourse on various social media platforms or watching Ted Talks which I've grown to love and should really watch more than I do, I always feel like I'm learning something and that's pretty awesome.

(P.S. Happy Internet Day, everyone!)

Kendra Givens
No broom

Postby Kendra Givens » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 am

Oh, the internet. The first thing I thought of when reading these was Pandora, or other music sites. At work today, my office was muggy and quiet. In order to not lose my mind, I entered "Train" into Pandora and got a TON of my favorite music playing through my speakers (Train, Matchbox 20, Imagine Dragons, etc....yes I'm a 90s/00s baby). When I'm stuck and needing something new to add to my music library, I can always put a song into Pandora and have it give me similar music for inspiration. The internet has also been helpful in creating my extensive list of "summer books to read" that I never seem to get to. I love learning about books I've never heard of before and trying them out. I've loved some, and I've returned some to the library after not being very interested. I would be lost without Jigsaw Planet when I'm bored. I don't think anybody really knows how to function without the internet anymore. I should probably take "internet day" and treat it like a disconnect day, but we know that will never happen...
His name is Sir Floofington Puffpuff III

Polaris Black
Cleansweep One

Postby Polaris Black » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:00 am

How the Internet changed my life

To me, the Internet represents self-sufficiency and instant gratification - I love having information at my fingertips. Who hasn’t needed to know things like how to treat a nosebleed or whether to use a hot or cold compress? Or how long to cook a soft boiled egg or whether you can eat something past the expiration date? Isn’t it great not to wait for tech savvy friends to troubleshoot the gremlins that infest electronic devices? Or being able to research that paper at 3:00 AM after you dozed off? And I haven't even mentioned the fun stuff like planning a trip or finding the perfect gift. I could go on and on but you get the idea!

And if internet service is interrupted, I just keep checking to see if it's back yet! :lol:
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:37 pm

20 Beans and Hoots go to following people for their wonderful stories.

Bull J. Johnson
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Risya Caltorn
Aurelia West
Kendra Givens

10 Hoots go to Polaris Black, who needed just a little more to satisfy the word count. :)
Thank you Dario!

Return to “Creative Outlet”