Rogue One - The Novelization

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Polaris Black
Silver Arrow

Rogue One - The Novelization

Postby Polaris Black » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is the novelization of the film by the same name. It tells the story of “a band of rebels on a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans”.

So I have to ask, do you prefer to read a novelization or an original screenplay when a story is adapted from film to print?

Maxim Trevelyan
Moontrimmer

Re: Rogue One - The Novelization

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 pm

I much prefer novelization, though I think both are quite unnecessary and just a way for people to make more money off the fans.

I find it very hard to read the screenplays. With a normal novelization, I get into the book quite quickly, falling into the scenes, what characters feel, think, as if I am there. But with screenplays, every time a character speaks (e.g. HARRY POTTER: Expecto Patronum!) or there is a description of an action (Hermione swished her wand, producing a small blue flame.) it just pulls me out of the story.

February Fortescue wrote something I agreed with wholeheartedly.

Plays aren't meant to be read - they are meant to be watched.

Although she meant that for stage plays, I would agree this goes for movies as well.
Thank you Dario!

Gail Allen
No broom

Re: Rogue One - The Novelization

Postby Gail Allen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm

I definitely agree with Maxim on that one. I don't like screeenplays for exactly the reason he stated, and the times where I have read them it's felt more like a chore than a pleasure. If a story is to be transported froma movie or a theater piece, I would much prefer novelization for the task. That way I still get right feel when I read it.

Return to “Ink Splatters”